WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama get the same or more ridicule as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU

I recall we had a patchwork oline (Carlos Etheredge was a converted te playing tackle) Gino was under constant harassment dropping back and could not get any ground game going. We were simply overmatched in the trenches.

Vinny kept throwing into coverage as their defense was game planned to drop back into coverage most of the game and take away our intermediate and deep throws. We could have run it all game but for some inexplicable reason never adjusted on offense. Maybe you could fault the coaching there too.

I love JJ

BUT I've always placed the blame for the loss to PSU on the poor decisions he made throughout the game more so than Vinny. That's my viewpoint and everytime I replay it. It just reinforces that fact more and more

Advertisement
IMO no one player is ever responsible for a team loss.

In both games we were heavy favorites.

In both games our Heisman winning QB'S stunk up the joint.

But I've always found it strange how Vinny gets so much derision while Gino gets a pass.
Against Bama, our defense didn't show up.
Against PSU, they sparkled, but couldn't overcome 5 turnovers..

I love JJ

BUT I've always placed the blame for the loss to PSU on the poor decisions he made throughout the game more so than Vinny. That's my viewpoint and everytime I replay it. It just reinforces that fact more and more
However, I think the system allowed for some qb autonomy to get out of bad plays into good ones. Kosar had the green light in this system to audible. I am assuming Vinny as well.

the 86 team was way more talented and they dominated PSU. Gino's group was running out of steam as everyone had figured out
D.Erickson's schemes and complete inability to run football.
FWIW a customer of mine up east has said on more than 1 occasion that if Vinnie was in a passing situation his first look at LOS
was to where he was going throw.... give the number of int's might have merit

It wasn't the 91 Canes that lost to Bama...it was the 92 Canes...and to say the 91 Canes weren't an All-time Great team is absurd...Best Defense in UM History...and whipped a good Nebraska team (their 1st shutout in 50+ yrs) for the NC...
Sorry, typo. I meant '92 Canes.

As for the 92 Canes, they were at a level below 2001 and the 1986-1988 squads. Not to say that they were not a great team in their own right.

Advertisement
Sorry, typo. I meant '92 Canes.

As for the 92 Canes, they were at a level below 2001 and the 1986-1988 squads. Not to say that they were not a great team in their own right.
No way 88 beats 91....And I'm not so sure 86 beats them...That Defense in 91 was pure Sickness...only gave up 9.4 points per game...and some of those were in blowouts....

I think if you take out Torretta’s 2 picks, one of which was a pick 6, then there was maybe a chance. It seems in retrospect that maybe going deep a lot could’ve been the only chance against that defense.

The ‘91 defense is the best in college football history. By the ‘93 Sugar Bowl Medearis, Miller, and Hamlet we’re gone. Obviously Medearis was a big loss. It almost feels like in retrospect once Medearis went down it made it impossible to win the NC.

I think if you take out Torretta’s 2 picks, one of which was a pick 6, then there was maybe a chance. It seems in retrospect that maybe going deep a lot could’ve been the only chance against that defense.

The ‘91 defense is the best in college football history. By the ‘93 Sugar Bowl Medearis, Miller, and Hamlet we’re gone. Obviously Medearis was a big loss. It almost feels like in retrospect once Medearis went down it made it impossible to win the NC.
Terrible game plan by Erickson...especially with a bad OL...and leaving Torretta with one back (if any) to help with blocking. Curry and Copeland were the best DLmen in CFB...made it too easy for them...No adjustments the entire game...

Advertisement
Still blows my mind that vinny did as much as he did in the nfl and few remember his career as being good.

NFL records​

• Most consecutive seasons with at least one touchdown pass - 21
  • Oldest player to win an NFL game (Age 44 in 2007)
  • Most losses as a starting quarterback (123)
  • 2nd Most players throwing a touchdown pass to (70)
  • Most players completing a pass to (134-138)

WHY??? Doesn't Gino with # 1Miami losing to #2 Bama 34-13, get the same ridicule or more as Vinnie with #1 Miami losing to #2 PSU 14-10??

Both cost us CFB Championships.

Both were playing against undefeated #2 teams.

Both Miami teams stunk up the joint offensively.

Vinnie's game was closer, while Gino's game was generally considered a blowout.

The hurt from both was soul wrecking and long lasting. Yet for the most part, all I generally hear about is how Vinny's poor play cost us a Championship......never about how Gino's poor play cost us a Championship.

Just curious...Why??
Vinny

Because there is reason to believe Vinny threw that game. There is smoke there. He was singlehanded responsible for losing that game. Singlehandedly!

Vinny will never be forgiven. Not ever! He’s a pariah.

If we played/started Geoff Toretta we would’ve won that game

Last edited:
Advertisement
No way 88 beats 91....And I'm not so sure 86 beats them...That Defense in 91 was pure Sickness...only gave up 9.4 points per game...and some of those were in blowouts....
I disagree. The 1988 could have beaten the 1991 team. That defense gave up 9.7 points a game against a much tougher schedule. Other than FSU and PSU, the 1991 schedule was a joke. The only reason the 88 squad lost a game is it got absolutely jobbed at South Bend in the worst call in the last 50 years on the Gary play. Did he fumble? Was he short? None of the above. It's the only game where I remember the head official after the game said his crew blew the call.

Last edited:
I disagree. The 1988 could have beaten the 1991 team. That defense gave up 9.7 points a game against a much tougher schedule. Other than FSU and PSU, the 1991 schedule was a joke. The only reason the 88 squad lost a game is it got absolutely jobbed at South Bend in the worst call in the last 50 years on the Highsmith play. Did he fumble? Was he short? None of the above. It's the only game where I remember the head official after the game said his crew blew the call.
Pretty sure it was Cleveland Gary and not Highsmith that “fumbled”.

Advertisement
I disagree. The 1988 could have beaten the 1991 team. That defense gave up 9.7 points a game against a much tougher schedule. Other than FSU and PSU, the 1991 schedule was a joke. The only reason the 88 squad lost a game is it got absolutely jobbed at South Bend in the worst call in the last 50 years on the Gary play. Did he fumble? Was he short? None of the above. It's the only game where I remember the head official after the game said his crew blew the call.
I will never underestimate a Sonny Lubick Defense...the 88 team played 5 ranked teams...the 91 played 4....including #1 FSU...so there wasn't a huge schedule difference.....

Miami and Vinny's offense self-destructed in the game. I don't recall Penn State's defense being amazing that game or overly complex. Plus we were never out of that game. Despite the INTs, inept offense and Vinny's personal fawkery.

Alabama's defense was absolutely dominant in that game. I remember watching the game when Lamar Thomas finally caught the deep pass from Gino and then being absolutely deflated when George Teague stripped the ball away from him. I knew we were done right there and then. It was amazing play. Curry and Copeland for Alabama were unstoppable that night.

I remember Gino joking later that the one thing that he remembers most from that game was the ceiling on the Superdome. The Bama defense was on top of him all night.

If you say the 1991 schedule was a joke, which I disagree with, I could come right back and say the 2001 schedule was a joke. Anyone would rather face the 2001 schedule.

1991 faced PSU and FSU, who finished 3rd and 4th in the country. FSU had been ranked #1 all season. Weldon finished 2nd in the Heisman voting. The only reason they lost the next game to UF Is because they had nothing to play for anymore. I think 1991 FSU might be the best team they ever had. And PSU was loaded. I think 2001 is probably the best team of all time, but that schedule didn’t have any scary games against great teams.

Advertisement
Back