Why do so many people consider Sean Taylor the greatest Miam

Mattm334

Recruit
So I did a poll in a hurricanes Facebook group I'm on who was the best Miami hurricanes football player of all time was. The majority of them chose Sean Taylor. Yes I understand Sean Taylor was a solid pro bowl player when he played but he was not one of the best a position ever. With options like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jim Kelly, Warren Sapp, Mike Irvin, Jessie Armistead and Andre Johnson I just don't see why people would choose Taylor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Ed Reed > Sean Taylor

Any other comparisons are blasphemy

Last edited:
Advertisement
ED Reed was better than Sean. And to argue that isn't living in reality. Sean taylor is a top 10 Canes player of my lifetime ( I was born in 80) but c'mon Reed was the safety in college his last 3 season in college and he was the best safety in the NFL the entire time he was in it.

Because Sean is dead people feel the need to over inflate his game. Don't get me wrong the kid was an insane player but he wasn't Reed.

All greats who disappear before they should are overrated. Which, to be clear, is not to say they weren't great. This is just what human beings do.

ED Reed was better than Sean. And to argue that isn't living in reality. Sean taylor is a top 10 Canes player of my lifetime ( I was born in 80) but c'mon Reed was the safety in college his last 3 season in college and he was the best safety in the NFL the entire time he was in it.

Because Sean is dead people feel the need to over inflate his game. Don't get me wrong the kid was an insane player but he wasn't Reed.
Agreed. Talk about a great defense to have Ray Lewis and Ed Reed...

Advertisement
All greats who disappear before they should are overrated. Which, to be clear, is not to say they weren't great. This is just what human beings do.

Very well put to remove the negative connotation of overrated, one could say elevated.

Ed reed to this day is the best safety I have ever seen. Sean Taylor was close and was more physically imposing, but ed reed was better. Both were insane players.

Ed Reed was certainly a better player than Sean Taylor.

I think a lot of your voting goes to the fact the way Sean played, and his arupt demise.

What he was. What he could've been.

I'd personally choose The Playmaker. What he did in college and what he did in the NFL.

However, Sean Taylor was a helluva player, and in a way, represents the last of what we were before the slide downward.

Advertisement
Few difference s here... reed was at maimi for 5 years. Taylor 3. TAYLOR got capped in what appeared to be the year in which he was putting himself firmly atop the list of so's in the NFL. I think he was leading the NFL in int's at the time of his BS incident. There is room for comparisons and Taylor never did anything but get better. He got better every year at Miami and it looked like he was getting better every year in the NFL. That's one reason. Another reason is some or a lot of the people who are responding are young. Kinda like you. I mean, if you're the kid I think you are you do ask some dumb *** questions boss.

Advertisement
No one will argue that Ed Reed wasn't the better, smarter Safety, but Sean Taylor did things athletically that many thought were impossible on a football field.

Few difference s here... reed was at maimi for 5 years. Taylor 3. TAYLOR got capped in what appeared to be the year in which he was putting himself firmly atop the list of so's in the NFL. I think he was leading the NFL in int's at the time of his BS incident. There is room for comparisons and Taylor never did anything but get better. He got better every year at Miami and it looked like he was getting better every year in the NFL. That's one reason. Another reason is some or a lot of the people who are responding are young. Kinda like you. I mean, if you're the kid I think you are you do ask some dumb *** questions boss.
**** I didn't realize asking how the best Miami football player of all time was my bad.

Taylor was physically gifted like few others, but Reed was the CAPTAIN of the ship.

And while we're at it, where's the love for Bennie Blades in this discussion???

Advertisement
Back