Why aren’t our TEs developing ?

If Miami isn't TEU then this program really doesn't have anything left to sell anymore.

Stick a fork in her.

Advertisement
Half the tight ends in the NFL can’t block but their coaches don’t expect them to. Instead of using Mallory in-line and expecting home to handle ends one on one, maybe our crack team of offensive coaches should use him in a way that better suits his abilities.

Nevermind, this staff is all about forcing guys to do what they’re terrible at and then blaming the “lack of execution”.
Lol Even the best NFL pass catching TEs are asked to block at times.

Half the tight ends in the NFL can’t block but their coaches don’t expect them to. Instead of using Mallory in-line and expecting home to handle ends one on one, maybe our crack team of offensive coaches should use him in a way that better suits his abilities.

Nevermind, this staff is all about forcing guys to do what they’re terrible at and then blaming the “lack of execution”.
People don’t want to hear this but it’s true. We suddenly didn't realize Mallory is an abysmal blocker. Yet we line him up inline to block all game lol. Let’s blame him.

Yeah “ at times “ . In the NFL a te is pretty much a receiver now. That’s how our te’s are , line them up in the slot and play to their strengths. Then recruit your type of guys to run your “ power spread”. Quit trying to do the opposite. Play to your current guys strengths.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah, there’s a difference between being asked to occasionally block and being depended on to block like a tackle on every play. Kyle Pitts is the highest drafted tight end ever and Florida pretty much told him “don’t worry about blocking”

Yeah, there’s a difference between being asked to occasionally block and being depended on to block like a tackle on every play. Kyle Pitts is the highest drafted tight end ever and Florida pretty much told him “don’t worry about blocking”
Florida did but he's blocking now in Atlanta. Every starting TE in the NFL blocks. Mallory sucks at blocking yes, but he's not Pitts either as a receiver so his *** needs to sit the bench if he's going to be a liability blocking.

Florida did but he's blocking now in Atlanta. Every starting TE in the NFL blocks. Mallory sucks at blocking yes, but he's not Pitts either as a receiver so his *** needs to sit the bench if he's going to be a liability blocking.
How well did David Njoku block while he was here? These dudes aren’t blockers. Is Pitts going to get benched by the Falcons because he can’t block?

Advertisement
Mallory has injuries that he forever deals with and he was always SOFT. That aint changing with weightroom work...Mallory dad is/was an nfl coach and he still was soft at blocking. He essentially played wr in high school and never blocked much.. and still cant...He doesnt have proper foot positioning, get off, or even want to when blocking. In the pass game he is solid but very stiff...some of the injuries may have slowe dhim down but he is solid in the pass game honestly.

We dont know if the others developed since we dont target them...not even last year. Arroyo gets his 2 targets a game and thats pretty much it.

TE's have to be used or made a priority by the oc...hence we saw the production we always saw because they were made a priority here.

TE'S in Gattis scheme are used alot in blocking situations or in the flats...thats their thing
Interesting explanation because I had thought Gattis liked to employ the te’s down the seam which we haven’t seen at all.

That son of a ***** is killing my fantasy team, don't ever draft a Gator (it's actually probably on the **** qb and coaches but still).

So Mallory's HS coaches knew how to use Mallory better than our current staff does now? They actually saw what he could and could not do and adjusted their system based on that? What an idea.

Wait...are you saying we should use Mallory as a WR?

Advertisement
He’s a **** good coach. I’ve spent time with him and his TE’s, in addition to other coaches that know his value. His track record of TE’s and how the NFL views them speaks for itself. Maybe Mallory isn’t the best blocker, but that’s on him. The kids have to WANT to be great. Putting in the work in the film room, weight room and after practice matter. Fwiw
Im not saying Field is a great coach, average coach or a bad coach. I honestly don’t know and I’ll wait to see how guys like Arroyo, Sikker, Williams, Carver and Mikeska develop before deciding. That said, I was confused by the “ track record of TEs and how the NFL views them reference. I can only think of Brevin Jordan as a Field guy. Am I missing something?

You can use the OL and WR coaches on those TEs just as much as their main position coach, so it’s not like those position coaches are as critical from a development and coaching standpoint as other positions.

Everyone who’s coached him loves him so I could see him making a team somewhere down the line. Reserve tight ends usually have to be able to block though.
Probably true, but maybe once exposed to the league he’ll toughen up.

Or maybe not.

Advertisement
Mallory would have a giseki type nfl career if he was a sure fire pass catcher. Gotta soften the hands a bit I think

It seems like every year we say, “Ok THIS is the year when Mallory will finally realize his potential and take off” and it never happens. When you watch him he just doesn’t do anything particularly well. He looks like he has concrete shoes on when he runs, doesn’t block, and drops way too many passes in key situations. If there’s one guy from all our previous regimes that I would have loved to keep it’s Hartley. Dude can recruit like nobody else and is a good coach.

There is a huge difference between being asked to block and being DEPENDED on to block. In this offense, Mallory is being depended on to block which is insane because for 6 years he hasnt been good at it. Elite level TEs like Pitts and Travis Kelce arent being solely depended on to block in order to spring a RB loose in any given play.

When Coach Hayes does his film review and I see Mallory being put in positions where hes the sole link to springing a RB for a big gain..I dont blame that on Mallory for completely blowing the block..I blame that on Mario and Gattis for thinking thats something he can do.

Advertisement
Back