Who would you compare Golden to

Advertisement
At this point, Golden is most comparable to a Ron Zook. Great recruiter, can sell... but just doesn't have the game day skills. We'll see if that changes next season.

At this point, Golden is most comparable to a Ron Zook. Great recruiter, can sell... but just doesn't have the game day skills. We'll see if that changes next season.

nope. Alfraud makes Zook look like Lombardi.

Alfraud is HORRIBLE. Randy is a helluva lot better coach than Alfraud

Advertisement
Who would have known comparing golden to Greg schiano would have been ridiculous.

LOL at anyone calling Golden a great recruiter who can sell.

Why do think our recruiting classes have gotten progressively worse since the dreaded "cloud" left Coral Gables? That's because he's an average recruiter who has absolutely nothing left to sell. That, of course, in-conjunction with being an atrocious gameday coach.

LOL I love these threads and love not seeing that I didn't post in them

You and me both. He really had some of you fooled. Didn't like that clown since the day he was hired. That doesn't mean I thought he would be this bad. I just didn't like him. Not only is he a bad coach, his arrogance and stubbornness rub us the wrong way.

Greg did a remarkable job with Rutgers But there is No doubt that Golden did just as good a job at Temple without a Major Conference backing.

Its WAAAAYYY to early to judge his tenure here.

JC

****. I don't get the new arrow system. I erred by arrow down without looking at the date of the poste. When I tried to make it up to JC with a positive rep it auto negged. Sorry man. If you want to reneg have at it.

Advertisement

You and me both. He really had some of you fooled. Didn't like that clown since the day he was hired. That doesn't mean I thought he would be this bad. I just didn't like him. Not only is he a bad coach, his arrogance and stubbornness rub us the wrong way.

I won't lie, I wasn't like I am now from the beginning. I "supported" him until Kansas State when they demolished us on the road, but it was always in the back of my head that, "wow, we just really hired a coach from Temple."

I won't lie, I wasn't like I am now from the beginning. I "supported" him until Kansas State when they demolished us on the road, but it was always in the back of my head that, "wow, we just really hired a coach from Temple."

Same here. I wasn't like I am now. I was more skeptical. More of a "show me something" attitude. I wasn't excited about our new coach like you should be when you get a new coach. I didn't see a reason to be excited until he proved something.

I didn't dislike him like I do now. It's not only that he sucks as a coach he also isn't a nice guy or a cool guy.

I would compare Al Golden to Al Golden. He is who he is. UM fell for his " Sales Pitch" and the " Cloud" and are stuck with him. If you really do research and a background check on his history of coaching any decent University would realize he wasn't the right person for this particular job. The culture, the pressure of winning here, etc. just isn't a good fit. Go back and look at his wins even at Temple. I saw a stat that he didn't have 1 win vs. a team who had more than 7 or 8 wins in his career ( I believe this was the stat, not completely sure). He is set on believing his way will eventually work. But like all good teams and head coaches, they have great asst coaches and coordinators. So until Golden gets better coaching around him (coordinators specifically) he will continue being who he is.

It's a different landscape today, so you can't really compare success/failure of their teams at this point--but I compare him to Jimmy Johnson. Strong personality, extremely well-spoken, exceptionally driven by excellence, resilient in the face of troubles, really good recruiter...it goes on.

I don't expect Jimmy Johnson wins/titles out of Golden since things are so different between the two eras, but I think they favor a lot in style and how they carry themselves.

If we want to get away from the obvious Miami coach comparisons, he reminds me of a more serious Pete Carroll.

Holy crap!

I'd like to hear from someone who has first hand personal experience with Jimmy Johnson and Al Golden. I have some limited experience under Johnson and Erickson but none under Golden so I can't really compare, but just from a fan of the Canes and college football I'd say there is no comparison.

To answer the question, I would say Golden is similar to Ray Goff, Derek Dooley or Ron Zook.

Advertisement
Greg Schiano comes to mind simply for turning around a team from the northeast that were bottom dwellers.
Tom Lemming compared him to Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.

Who would you compare golden to?

A PHUCKING LOSER..........

He's a bull**** artist. And that's all. At least Randy was a good coach. Unfortunately for him, the head coach position was just too big for him. But as far as coaching is concerned, Randy was/is a better coach.

He's a bull**** artist. And that's all. At least Randy was a good coach. Unfortunately for him, the head coach position was just too big for him. But as far as coaching is concerned, Randy was/is a better coach.

Golden might be the biggest and best BS'er of all time. He had everyone drinking the kool-aid. Now look at him, he's been in hiding since november

Advertisement
A cross between Tom Landry, George Halas, Don Shula, and Vince Lombardi. Well, during their losing seasons, of course.

He has the detail, the planning the psychology, and the emotion of JJ.

He has the discipline, seriousness, and focus of Schnellenberger.

He's also a player's coach, like ****erson.

And he can **** well recruit like Butch.

We get past these sanctions . . .

:madstare:

Alice Grolden is big bag of GAS,
and
the biggest New Jersey disaster since:

[video=youtube;jH-mhZLuGRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH-mhZLuGRk[/video]

Thanks for nothing, Jersey.

Advertisement
Back