Who would you compare Golden to

NVA CANE

All-American
Greg Schiano comes to mind simply for turning around a team from the northeast that were bottom dwellers.
Tom Lemming compared him to Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.

Who would you compare golden to?

Advertisement
Greg did a remarkable job with Rutgers But there is No doubt that Golden did just as good a job at Temple without a Major Conference backing.

Its WAAAAYYY to early to judge his tenure here.

JC

Advertisement
It's a different landscape today, so you can't really compare success/failure of their teams at this point--but I compare him to Jimmy Johnson. Strong personality, extremely well-spoken, exceptionally driven by excellence, resilient in the face of troubles, really good recruiter...it goes on.

I don't expect Jimmy Johnson wins/titles out of Golden since things are so different between the two eras, but I think they favor a lot in style and how they carry themselves.

If we want to get away from the obvious Miami coach comparisons, he reminds me of a more serious Pete Carroll.

God. He's been working miracles since he got here. Last years recruiting class considering the circumstances was remarkable.

Golden is the white Mike Tomlin

2009_Mike_Tomlin_CLE1_0273.jpg

Advertisement
Golden is the white Mike Tomlin

2009_Mike_Tomlin_CLE1_0273.jpg

Yeah, I kind of like that comparison. And I would like for Golden to turn out to be as good a coach as Tomlin. He's on the right path for sure, amazing what he has done so far despite all the obstacles.

Advertisement
no idea. Hopefully we can't compare him to anyone cause he stays for a long time.

He has the detail, the planning the psychology, and the emotion of JJ.

He has the discipline, seriousness, and focus of Schnellenberger.

He's also a player's coach, like ****erson.

And he can **** well recruit like Butch.

We get past these sanctions . . .

Advertisement
Pete Carroll

Definitely. Carroll. One time he said that when Carroll got fired by the Patriots he sat down and wrote everything he knew about coaching, and then he started his run at USC. Golden said something that he modeled himself after that, so it makes sense.

He also says he was influenced by Parcells and Paterno, and I definitely see some of them in what he's doing.

Golden is very much one of a kind in my opinion. I don't buy the Saban/Meyer comparisons because Golden is a genuinely good person with tremendous character that actually gives a **** about his kids.

I get the JJ comparisons but Jimmy had much more of a mean streak to him than Golden does. Carroll is much more of a players coach than Golden IMO.

Golden is very much an amalgam of the best charachteristics of JJ, Parcells, Carroll, Paterno, Saban and maybe Meyer.

He still has a few things to prove obviously as far as winning consistently, big games, titles, etc but if we can get by these coming sanctions and he starts winning like I know he can we very well may have a future legend in Golden. Not to go overboard but he very well could be the ideal college coach. Our version of Bowden, Bear, or Paterno in terms of longevity, sustained excellence and loyalty of the fan base if you will.

Last edited:
Don't really get the JJ complete comparison, maybe his bravado. I see Parcells the whole way, no nonsense Jersey guy.

Advertisement
Back