Who was the first Cane that used the term, The U?

This was when it began. I was there that day. Edge started it and it took off after that.

Advertisement
I've always thought it was Ryan Moore....

Anyone out there know who coined the phrase,

The U?

Go Canes!!
I've always thought it was Ryan Moore....

Anyone out there know who coined the phrase,

The U?

Go Canes!!
The first time I heard the term the "U" was from a player from another team that said something like "next week we are going down to south Florida to play the "U".

I love it. So great we don’t even need to say what university (U) we are... cause we are The University and abbreviated, The U!!! Epitomizes SWAG and is a proverbial middle finger to the rest. At least that’s what it means to me.

Advertisement
I'm gonna side with the guys saying Edge but it certainly wasn't widely marketed until after Winslow's rant. It is funny seeing guys like Irvin and Sapp acting like it was widely used (or even around) when they played though- not that their embrace of it is a bad thing.

Academically and among alumni I still find "UM" to be the most common term used when referring to the school.

It started back in the 70s when we changed our logo to the U. It even had campaigns like Save the U when they wanted to go away from the U logo. The phrase started back in the 80s with SunTan U. Which turned in to all about “The U”. Then in early 90s the IBIS to counter the Gator chump and The FSU chop , started throwing up your hands in U. I’m Cane for life and will always be all about the U.

Advertisement
What would you prefer? UM??? Not to be confused with Michigan, Montana, Minnesota, and God Knows how many other universities...oh wait Monmouth, Maryland....must go on? The U speaks for itself

But wait...We can't even say "Miami" without soneone asking us about the "Red Hawks!"

The U hands symbol dates to the 1992 FSU game. One of the male Cheerleaders came up with it. They did it while playing the Star Wars Imperial theme. The phrase i'm not sure of. Thinking Moss or Reed. The Logo has been used since 1973.

Yeah, we'd wave it like the Seminole chop.

Advertisement
Personally I hate the term “The U”.

//runs

giphy.gif

We should have known right then that this dude wasn’t all there upstairs.
I knew a guy that had that type of stare and coincidentally he resembles Winslow. He was a firm believer that every employee at banks were lizard people.

Advertisement
I do know how it started. I was saying The U in 80’s. I remember telling a lawyer in Chicago in 88 that I went to Miami and he said, “no shi..! you went to The U!” I though I heard Howard say one time something about us being Suntan U and then we became The U.

Advertisement
Back