Who was the first Cane that used the term, The U?

FFS I'm not referring to the symbol I'm referring to the term, now if you want to "************" me for that..carry on.

Almost makes me think there are a lot of youngin's on this site because when that became popular we started to suck and I got pretty tired of getting "da U" shoved in my face at every away game we crapped the bed in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I knew a guy that had that type of stare and coincidentally he resembles Winslow. He was a firm believer that every employee at banks were lizard people.

Haha what. Some people you can see it in the way they look that something isn’t right.

I have been around the University of Miami since 1970, my family dates back further than that, and it was always the "UM" back then. My cousin played in the mid 80's and he never referred to it as The U. I think the hand gesture came a good bit before calling it the "U", but none of that started until at least the mid 90's.
I'm not saying nobody called it the U back in the day, but it was definitely not a thing back then. Definitely not a thing when we were winning titles before Butch got here as the HC.

You talking about the UCLA game in ‘98? I recall Edge doing that in that game. I don’t recall tho if he was the 1st player to use the hand gesture

Advertisement
One of the most epic and iconic sound bite, ever.

I was in the stands during that ****fest.

I wish could find the entire clip of KW2's tirade, but no luck on YT.
Especially love the beginning of it when he says "I hate refs -- I only like ours"...lol

I was in the stands during that ****fest.

I wish could find the entire clip of KW2's tirade, but no luck on YT.
Especially love the beginning of it when he says "I hate refs -- I only like ours"...lol

I've been looking for the full clip as well. None of that sugar coating...AND he made sure to let everyone know to write it down. LOL.

In the beginning before time existed....

GAWD created and threw up the "U"

And Gawd saw the "U" he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

Gawd said " Be fruitful, win championships and multiply with NFL bound players, and replenish with excellent recruits, and have dominion over College Football and all the other sports beasts, for they are all here to be subservient to the "U", and delight in the "U"'s power and splendor

So we MUST follow the word of GAWD

Fact is..... The U existed long before any of us 1st heard of it or knew.....All say Amen

Shannon and Golden didn't follow the word and they were both smitten by fire from the fans

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've been looking for the full clip as well. None of that sugar coating...AND he made sure to let everyone know to write it down. LOL...Kellen was laying blks on Vols that are legendary.....
If Berlin sees (smfh) a Wide open Winslow in the EZ we win, and in all likelihood play for a NC....

I have been around the University of Miami since 1970, my family dates back further than that, and it was always the "UM" back then. My cousin played in the mid 80's and he never referred to it as The U. I think the hand gesture came a good bit before calling it the "U", but none of that started until at least the mid 90's.
I'm not saying nobody called it the U back in the day, but it was definitely not a thing back then. Definitely not a thing when we were winning titles before Butch got here as the HC.
All I know is that I grew up in the Coral Way and Red Rd. area and I remember us teenagers in the late 60's referring to UM as "the U" and "UM".
With that said, if in 1973 UM adopted the "U" as an official emblem, I think I can safely assume that references to "the U" predates anything recent as is being said here on this thread.

I've been a Cane and attended games since 1976....and I never heard "The U" term until the late 90s...early 2000s....

I've been a Cane and attended games since 1976....and I never heard "The U" term until the late 90s...early 2000s....
We both attended games at the same time. I had season tickets from 1982 onward for 21 years. My dad passed with Alzheimer's but I'm still doing pretty good with my memory at 63. But with regards to this thread I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with these posts.
Let me just say this... if the "U" was put on the helmets in 73 and became a trademarked symbol, why is it so hard to believe that people could address the school or the team as "the U". I know it's older than the 90's... and I know that "the U" phrase did become more and more popular but regardless it's been around a long time. Can we get Jim Kelly to weigh in on this.

Advertisement
We both attended games at the same time. I had season tickets from 1982 onward for 21 years. My dad passed with Alzheimer's but I'm still doing pretty good with my memory at 63. But with regards to this thread I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with these posts.
Let me just say this... if the "U" was put on the helmets in 73 and became a trademarked symbol, why is it so hard to believe that people could address the school or the team as "the U". I know it's older than the 90's... and I know that "the U" phrase did become more and more popular but regardless it's been around a long time. Can we get Jim Kelly to weigh in on this.
I'm 58....never heard UM mentioned as "The U" until the 90s.....The U symbol on the helmet in the 70s was different....had the FB player in the middle of the U...

I'm 58....never heard UM mentioned as "The U" until the 90s.....The U symbol on the helmet in the 70s was different....had the FB player in the middle of the U...
Yes the football player in the middle was a receiver about to catch a pass. And there was a baseball version too with a guy swinging a bat... I don't know if there were other versions. In the 80's around the time when I went to the Sugar Bowl (UM/Tenn.), I had a custom U plate made for my car (gorgeous 280ZX) with the receiver in the U. I really would like some old-timers to weigh in on this because I'm pretty sure "the U" phrase was around not only in my old neighborhood, but more wide spread.

Yes the football player in the middle was a receiver about to catch a pass. And there was a baseball version too with a guy swinging a bat... I don't know if there were other versions. In the 80's around the time when I went to the Sugar Bowl (UM/Tenn.), I had a custom U plate made for my car (gorgeous 280ZX) with the receiver in the U. I really would like some old-timers to weigh in on this because I'm pretty sure "the U" phrase was around not only in my old neighborhood, but more wide spread.
I grew up in Ft Myers, but Grandmother and Aunt lived in the Gables and Kendall, so I wasn't as privy as others who were from from Miami, although I lived in Miami from 84-87

Advertisement
Well being the angler that I am I envy you. That whole Boca Grande area from Port Charlotte to Ft. Myers was heaven... nice memories on the water there.

Well being the angler that I am I envy you. That whole Boca Grande area from Port Charlotte to Ft. Myers was heaven... nice memories on the water there.
@gruntking...I fished alot in Ft Myers/Sanibel/Captiva.....I lived on Captiva/South Seas Plantation for 3yrs following Culinary School.....I grew up in Cape Coral....used to catch so many Snook it was ridiculous....And Tarpon in the Caloosahatchee River...

The first Cane I ever seen throwing up the U was Edgerrin James.

But I always assumed Irvin, Hill, Highsmith & those boys in the 80's were the ones who started it, but I remember growing up watching the Canes in the mid to late 90's, that players were already doing it.

@gruntking...I fished alot in Ft Myers/Sanibel/Captiva.....I lived on Captiva/South Seas Plantation for 3yrs following Culinary School.....I grew up in Cape Coral....used to catch so many Snook it was ridiculous....And Tarpon in the Caloosahatchee River...
Like I said I envy you. Most of my west coast fishing was in the 70's/80's in the Chokoloskee area, but I agree there was more snook up your way.
When VCR's came out it was great cause I could record away games go fishing and watch the games when I came home. But when there were big TV games (FSU, ND, UF, etc.) no fishing allowed... Canes always rule.

Advertisement
Back