Who was the best RB @ Miami? Gore? McCgahee?

Part of me says Edgerrin James. He was killing it on some pretty mediocre Miami teams in the late 90's. The defense knew it was coming but they still couldn't stop him.

Another part of me says Willis McGahee. Freakishly explosive. Truly a threat to go the distance any time he got the ball. He could take a simple screen pass and make it the play of the year. Plus, he wasn't a little guy either. He could run over you too. His NFL/post fiesta bowl injury career was a totally different story. Still a very solid back but nowhere near as fast.

Advertisement
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this lil bad **** right here.... If there was any reason to shed a tear after an injury, sad. COOOOOP, Whatup Mane!!!!!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;rnspJ-2Jd3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnspJ-2Jd3I#t=147.954058[/video]

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this little bad **** right here.... If there was any reason to shed a tear after an injury, sad. COOOOOP, Whatup Mane!!!!!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;rnspJ-2Jd3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnspJ-2Jd3I#t=147.954058[/video]

Why would you be surprised that no one mentioned Graig Cooper as being the best RB to ever play at Miami?

Are you high?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this little bad **** right here.... If there was any reason to shed a tear after an injury, sad. COOOOOP, Whatup Mane!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you be surprised that no one mentioned Graig Cooper as being the best RB to ever play at Miami?

Are you high?

I understand when you don't know you just don't know..... But Coop is one of our top 6 leaders in rushing history.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I have watched about all of them in person and OJ was something to behold. We have had so many great one it is hard to pick any, but picture OJ on any of our better teams and imagine what he would had done; I'll go with Otis but have to smile approvingly at many other choices.

Graig Cooper doesn't crack the top 20.

Duke was good but he never had over 1,000 yrds. His best year was 139 for 957 yrds.

I'd clown you for forgetting his last year at the U, but that was a tough season to watch...

Yeah, I totally forgot about his last year. With that coaching staff it just seemed as though nothing was good. I was in the mind frame of maybe next year we will be better... lol

Duke is my favorite Cane all time, but got to go with a couple guys over him if we are talking best. But that is more about how many truly great RBs we were blessed with than any shortcoming on Duke's part. Plus, what a horrible coaching staff the kid had to play with.

Advertisement

He's #6 with 2383... If, I am wrong who has more in your top 20?

Seems like you're just going by who has the most career rushing yards. By your measure, Graig Cooper is better than Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Lamar Miller. Which, to anyone who watched them play is absolutely ridiculous. Cooper was a solid player but nothing great. I'd out him along the lines of Joe Yearby or Jarett Payton.

I am old enough to remember Otis... He was unreal and played on bad teams with little support. Gore his freshman year was unbelievable too... Watch his highlights against West Virginia that year... Edge against UCLA may have been the best single game performance due to the importance of that game to the program... McGahee's last year was probably the best one year performance of any back. Don't forget Highsmith either... he may have been one of the most physically gifted.
For those that can remember.. some lesser known but talented guys: Warren Williams, Al Shipman (one year wonder for YPC), Griffin's little brother, Conley (best pound for pound)... Lorenzo (Smokey?) Roan (who held the single game record for yards for many years)

Very much an open question with many answers.
Throw in James Jackson's sophomore year behind Edge. Every time he touched the ball I thought he was gone.

Seems like you're just going by who has the most career rushing yards. By your measure, Graig Cooper is better than Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Lamar Miller. Which, to anyone who watched them play is absolutely ridiculous. Cooper was a solid player but nothing great. I'd out him along the lines of Joe Yearby or Jarett Payton.

Clearly you need something to B*** about, if you wanted to know who I thought the best was you can refer to the first page on this thread. There are people that rank players on production and if that is the case you have to put Coop numbers on the table because he did it all. Don't hate on the man like you do Yearby cause at the end of the day his stats speaks for its self. But what the **** would you know, you said he wouldn't crack the top 20.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Willis. Screen play against FSU in 2002. The OB went absolute insane, always loved Brad Nessler's call on that play.

The loudest I ever heard the OB on any one single play.
It was about 105 degrees that day as well.

Cooper was pretty good but nowhere near 15-20 of our best rb. He was just at UM when our rb depth was nowhere near Miami caliber , and that's not his fault . That just makes his career stats better than lots of guys who had to wait a couple years to play.

If we are going on actual production and not "what if's" then the answer is obviously Willis McGahee.

Nearly 2000 yards and 30 TD's, and a record game against VT in his only season starting is pretty hard to beat.

Jacory Harris is the 2nd leading passer in school history.

Guess that means he was a better QB than Testaverde, Walsh, Erickson, Kosar, and Kelly by your logic, Moro(n).

How soon do you forget, it was your dizzy *** logic to go on production... flip flop wearing, dirty foot....

Advertisement
If we are going on actual production and not "what if's" then the answer is obviously Willis McGahee.

Nearly 2000 yards and 30 TD's, and a record game against VT in his only season starting is pretty hard to beat.

Guess that means he was a better QB than Testaverde, Walsh, Erickson, Kosar, and Kelly by your logic, Moro(n).

How soon do you forget, it was your dizzy *** logic to go on production... flip flop wearing, dirty foot....

Not surprising that you think the McGahee argument is the same argument that you are making.

Keep up the good work, Moro(n).

Not surprising that you think the McGahee argument is the same argument that you are making.

Keep up the good work, Moro(n).

Don't get mad now... You wanted to change the criteria and now that your man still can't win, you want to take your ball and leave... kick rocks then...

Frank Gore was the best hands down. There is a cut at 2:36 that is just nasty! Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis was the best at the U.

[video=youtube;gXkAGgB1MDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXkAGgB1MDg[/video]

All due respect, but Frank Gore was "spectacular" and "the best one" in a class with Willis, Clinton, & Edge (Quotes are from Clinton). Before the knee injuries when he was wearing 32, it was ridiculous to watch this guy in person. I consider myself a very well-rounded athlete but this dude made me want to forget ever thinking of playing RB. He was the most "pure runner" (Soldinger) I have ever seen. I like this thread for the mere fact that I can see who really recognizes a high level talent on this board. All of these dudes are very good, but people like Frank Gore and Sean Taylor were on another level.

Gore was on another level...in high school and for 62 carries in college.
However, there are many ways to interpret the question "who was the best RB at Miami".

Gore was the best RB while he was here...and he's been the best RB in the NFL. Our other guys were studs but they didn't have the vision and overall running ability of Gore. Even Kehoe said the same thing to one of my buddies a few years ago.

He wasn't an athletic freak or a combine warrior, he just flat out knew how to run the rock.

Advertisement
Back