Who was the best RB @ Miami? Gore? McCgahee?

Advertisement
Willis. Screen play against FSU in 2002. The OB went absolute insane, always loved Brad Nessler's call on that play.

McGahee had unquestionably the greatest single season in Cane history, but had Gore not gotten hurt before that season he would have been the starter. Gore, before the injuries, was the best I ever saw here. The type of guy who could score every time he touched the ball. I still think we beat OSU with Gore in there.

Advertisement
Most don't know or forget, but McGahee also injured his knee his senior year at Miami Central high school. It always seems like that is forgotten when people out the knee disclaimer on Gore when comparing the two. The Fiesta was his second ACL.

Duke was good but he never had over 1,000 yrds. His best year was 139 for 957 yrds.

I'd clown you for forgetting his last year at the U, but that was a tough season to watch...

Yeah, I totally forgot about his last year. With that coaching staff it just seemed as though nothing was good. I was in the mind frame of maybe next year we will be better... lol

Advertisement
Good call on Melvin Bratton. I should have mentioned him. In the Flutie game, his performance was unreal. Maybe the best back we have ever had catching passes out of the backfield.

Frank Gore was the best hands down. There is a cut at 2:36 that is just nasty! Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis was the best at the U.

[video=youtube;gXkAGgB1MDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXkAGgB1MDg[/video]

All due respect, but Frank Gore was "spectacular" and "the best one" in a class with Willis, Clinton, & Edge (Quotes are from Clinton). Before the knee injuries when he was wearing 32, it was ridiculous to watch this guy in person. I consider myself a very well-rounded athlete but this dude made me want to forget ever thinking of playing RB. He was the most "pure runner" (Soldinger) I have ever seen. I like this thread for the mere fact that I can see who really recognizes a high level talent on this board. All of these dudes are very good, but people like Frank Gore and Sean Taylor were on another level.

For me:

Prior generation:

OJ Anderson
Chuck Foreman
Pete Banazek

Modern era:

Edgerin James
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Frank Gore
Duke Johnson

Duke gained more yards than all of them despite playing only 3 years. McGahee had a phenomenal final year, Heisman finalist. Portis lead us to a National Championship. Edge gained 296 yards against UCLA, marking the return of the Canes under Butch. He also starred with the Colts and could make the Hall of Fame. OJ Anderson became NFL rookie of the year and a perennial all pro. Foreman starred with the Fran Tarkenton Vikings. Banazek was a stalwart on the legendary Raiders teams of the 60's playing with two other Cane greats, Jim Otto and Ted Hendricks.

In terms of sheer talent, however, I agree that the pre injury Gore was the greatest Cane RB talent of all time. His vision, balance, toughness, speed, pass catching and pass blocking abilities were unparalleled. I recall seeing his high school recruiting film highlights. On a mediocre Coral Gables team, he set the Dade County rushing record. Running mainly between the tackles, he was near unstoppable.

Frank is still doing it at age 33. What a player.

This. I would have it in the same order too.

Frank gore was so fluid in those 2001 games. Absolutely unreal.

I loved watching edge. Never seemed like he was moving fast.

Both guys were so instinctive. As much as I loved Willis and portis and as good as they were, I always thought gore and edge were just master technicians at the position.

I only saw Ottis as a pro and he was a tough SOB. Putting up the numbers he did in the nfl is no f'n joke

Advertisement
If Frank Gore didn't hurt his knee, McGahee would have been relegated to Greentree AA status. Gore is the best RB I saw at UM.

As a younger cane, I'd have to go with Najeh Davenport pre-injury

Frank Gore is like Joe Yearby with Dalvin Cook's speed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Edge it's not close you put him behind those o lines in the early 2000's He might have 2300 yards

You can say the same for OJ.
He wasn't the player at Miami that was winning Super bowls for the Giants in the late 80's.

Edge is 1a.
Otis 1b.

Bratton is a sentimental favorite.

McGahee had unquestionably the greatest single season in Cane history, but had Gore not gotten hurt before that season he would have been the starter. Gore, before the injuries, was the best I ever saw here. The type of guy who could score every time he touched the ball. I still think we beat OSU with Gore in there.

The difference is Gore had two ACL injury's. When Gore came in all of those guys as amazing as they were, were looking at the bench or an early exit to the league. Gore with the little time that he had between injury, rehab and injury, rehab again was still able to put guys on the bench and dominate games at an extremely high level. As good as McGhee was he and Tyrone Moss had to back Gore up after injury.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back