Who was the best RB @ Miami? Gore? McCgahee?

I love Gore, and I know he had an impressive freshman season from a yards per carry standpoint, but why he keeps getting brought up in these discussions I can never understand. You can't weigh the level of potential someone had, or the pro career they went on to have, as neither really has much to do with being the best at miami.

Exactly.

This thread isn't about what could have been or what if's. Gore was not the best RB to come through Miami, despite all of the potential he showed or his awesome freshman season, or the fact that he was ahead of Willis on the depth chart at one point.

Gore never had the kind of season nor impact at Miami that Willis had. Point blank.

Advertisement
Pre-injury McGahee was the best at his peak. That game against Virginia Tech was like NFL vs. D-IAA.

That game at UF wasn't no slouch. I was there in some of BHG seats lol. My Gator buddies were cryin the blues that day.

I love Gore, and I know he had an impressive freshman season from a yards per carry standpoint, but why he keeps getting brought up in these discussions I can never understand. You can't weigh the level of potential someone had, or the pro career they went on to have, as neither really has much to do with being the best at miami.

This is a great point. Gore has had a fantastic pro and college career but putting him above Edge or Otis in terms of their MIAMI careers is ignorant.

Some times you just have to give props where props are do. It was Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee and Edgerrin James that was with Portis when he made that quote about Frank being the best RB in that class. That shows the respect from Lions among Lions. It's hard to be at the top of that food chain. If you make the top 15 in this group that's not a bad deal by no means.

And I don't say that to disparage Gore at all. He was unlucky with injuries. He likely would have owned the record book if not for those injuries. But they happened. Perhaps my interpretation of best is too dependent on actual production.

See there you go talking actual production again. EJ and Portis can handle the actual production stats.

Edge looked like he had skates when he ran- he was so freaking smooth.

Duke was such a homer he gets a vote just on that alone.

Davenport I also loved and should be always in a discussion- he was a man amongst boys out there.

Willis was quick and ran with power- not an easy combo

Advertisement
Edge...not disrespect to duke, willis, portis, anderson, and gore...but edge is it...no questions

Willis. Screen play against FSU in 2002. The OB went absolute insane, always loved Brad Nessler's call on that play.

The loudest I ever heard the OB on any one single play.
It was about 105 degrees that day as well.

My good Lord that play was the back breaker for FSU. Had seats right were the play ran to, and we all knew the W was in the bag after that play. Oh, and is sure was hot and loud. Still miss the OB when reflecting on moments like that.

Last edited:
I have to imagine Gore would have been the best minus the injuries. He possessed nearly every uncoachable quality you look for in a running back. He had good size, enough speed, ridiculous forward lean and vision, toughness, he ran with power, great lateral movement. I remember him averaging over 10 yards a pop his freshman year. If he stayed healthy, McGahee's emergence might not have ever happened. After two major knee reconstructions Gore has managed to have an unusually long NFL career. Remarkable.

In the real world, I would say that Mcgahee was the most physically talented back we had. He was the original Central back to have that ridiculous blend of elite size/elite speed. Bratton/Duke were probably the most skilled backs, but each had their physical limitations. Bratton didn't have blazing speed, while Duke was always undersized. I never saw Otis Anderson play, though I can see that he went on to have a great NFL career. That has to count for something.

Where does Edge fit into all this? Najeh?

Advertisement
Willis. Screen play against FSU in 2002. The OB went absolute insane, always loved Brad Nessler's call on that play.

The loudest I ever heard the OB on any one single play.
It was about 105 degrees that day as well.

My good Lord that play was the back breaker for FSU. Had seats right were the play ran to, and we all knew the W was in the bag after that play. Oh, and is sure was hot and loud. Still miss the OB when reflecting on moments like that.

I couldn't have been too far in back of you.
Yes, we knew what the final outcome would be after that play, but not after we let Rix and the 'Noles get into field goal range so the defeat would be even more devastating.

Advertisement
Back