Who was the best RB @ Miami? Gore? McCgahee?

If we are going on actual production and not "what if's" then the answer is obviously Willis McGahee.

Nearly 2000 yards and 30 TD's, and a record game against VT in his only season starting is pretty hard to beat.

Advertisement
Pre-injury McGahee was the best at his peak. That game against Virginia Tech was like NFL vs. D-IAA.

Still ****ed that game wasn't the blowout it should've been.

Willis should've gotten his 7th TD instead of that goofy Heisman play.

RK NAME POS FRM TO GP ATT YDS TD Y/A A/G Y/G LNG
1 Ottis Anderson rb 1975 1978 43 691 3331 1 4.8 16.1 77.5 0
2 Edgerrin James rb 1996 1998 28 497 2960 32 6.0 17.8 105.7 0
3 James Jackson rb 1996 2000 41 541 2950 31 5.5 13.2 72.0 0
4 Clinton Portis rb 1999 2001 31 440 2523 20 5.7 14.2 81.4 0
5 Graig Cooper rb 2007 2010 44 465 2374 13 5.1 10.6 54.0 0
6 Javarris James rb 2006 2009 46 505 2162 18 4.3 11.0 47.0 0
7 Willis McGahee rb 2001 2002 23 349 2067 31 5.9 15.2 89.9 0
8 Frank Gore rb 2001 2004 37 348 1975 17 5.7 9.4 53.4 0
9 Tyrone Moss rb 2003 2006 40 412 1942 26 4.7 10.3 48.6 0
10 Lamar Miller rb 2010 2011 23 335 1895 15 5.7 14.6 82.4

For me:

Prior generation:

OJ Anderson
Chuck Foreman
Pete Banazek

Modern era:

Edgerin James
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Frank Gore
Duke Johnson

Duke gained more yards than all of them despite playing only 3 years. McGahee had a phenomenal final year, Heisman finalist. Portis lead us to a National Championship. Edge gained 296 yards against UCLA, marking the return of the Canes under Butch. He also starred with the Colts and could make the Hall of Fame. OJ Anderson became NFL rookie of the year and a perennial all pro. Foreman starred with the Fran Tarkenton Vikings. Banazek was a stalwart on the legendary Raiders teams of the 60's playing with two other Cane greats, Jim Otto and Ted Hendricks.

In terms of sheer talent, however, I agree that the pre injury Gore was the greatest Cane RB talent of all time. His vision, balance, toughness, speed, pass catching and pass blocking abilities were unparalleled. I recall seeing his high school recruiting film highlights. On a mediocre Coral Gables team, he set the Dade County rushing record. Running mainly between the tackles, he was near unstoppable.

Frank is still doing it at age 33. What a player.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Duke was good but he never had over 1,000 yrds. His best year was 139 for 957 yrds.

For me:

Prior generation:

OJ Anderson
Chuck Foreman
Pete Banazek

Modern era:

Edgerin James
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Frank Gore
Duke Johnson

Duke gained more yards than all of them despite playing only 3 years. McGahee had a phenomenal final year, Heisman finalist. Portis lead us to a National Championship. Edge gained 296 yards against UCLA, marking the return of the Canes under Butch. He also starred with the Colts and could make the Hall of Fame. OJ Anderson became NFL rookie of the year and a perennial all pro. Foreman starred with the Fran Tarkenton Vikings. Banazek was a stalwart on the legendary Raiders teams of the 60's playing with two other Cane greats, Jim Otto and Ted Hendricks.

In terms of sheer talent, however, I agree that the pre injury Gore was the greatest Cane RB talent of all time. His vision, balance, toughness, speed, pass catching and pass blocking abilities were unparalleled. I recall seeing his high school recruiting film highlights. On a mediocre Coral Gables team, he set the Dade County rushing record. Running mainly between the tackles, he was near unstoppable.

Frank is still doing it at age 33. What a player.
Otis best prior generation. When he was at Forest hill my dad played against him while at Lake Worth high and tells me the time he and the DL stopped Otis on the goal line. Pretty cool. For me now it's Gore, mcgahee and edge. Insane all these backs had serious injuries and still lit the NFL up.

Advertisement
I am old enough to remember Otis... He was unreal and played on bad teams with little support. Gore his freshman year was unbelievable too... Watch his highlights against West Virginia that year... Edge against UCLA may have been the best single game performance due to the importance of that game to the program... McGahee's last year was probably the best one year performance of any back. Don't forget Highsmith either... he may have been one of the most physically gifted.
For those that can remember.. some lesser known but talented guys: Warren Williams, Al Shipman (one year wonder for YPC), Griffin's little brother, Conley (best pound for pound)... Lorenzo (Smokey?) Roan (who held the single game record for yards for many years)

I am old enough to remember Otis... He was unreal and played on bad teams with little support. Gore his freshman year was unbelievable too... Watch his highlights against West Virginia that year... Edge against UCLA may have been the best single game performance due to the importance of that game to the program... McGahee's last year was probably the best one year performance of any back. Don't forget Highsmith either... he may have been one of the most physically gifted.
For those that can remember.. some lesser known but talented guys: Warren Williams, Al Shipman (one year wonder for YPC), Griffin's little brother, Conley (best pound for pound)... Lorenzo (Smokey?) Roan (who held the single game record for yards for many years)

Excellent post. OAnderson was the best I've seen, but I'm bias. I completely agree on McGahee he should have won the Heisman that year.

And as Jedi mentioned above, McGuire was that Nole killer. Dude was tough as nails.

Advertisement

Excellent post. OAnderson was the best I've seen, but I'm bias. I completely agree on McGahee he should have won the Heisman that year.

And as Jedi mentioned above, McGuire was that Nole killer. Dude was tough as nails.

Ottis Anderson was a man among boys. With Miami down 14-3 at the half against the Gator, Anderson had 31 carries in the second half. I say again 31 carries and it was a smoking hot day even for late November. Miami won 22-21.

If I had to field a team this upcoming year and was picking the position players, McGahee would be number one. Size and speed in his prime, he was second to none here.

Advertisement
Larry Coker coached some all time greats and he said Gore was the best he's seen ( pre Acl's).

Gore was hands down the most talented but on production i'd say Anderson or Willis

Mcgahee had the best season of any running back at Miami in 02, he was dominant

Ottis Anderson was a man among boys. With Miami down 14-3 at the half against the Gator, Anderson had 31 carries in the second half. I say again 31 carries and it was a smoking hot day even for late November. Miami won 22-21.

I was at that game. I remember OJ scoring a TD late in the game and it was called back for holding, IIRC. After a T.O. UM lined up and ran the exact same play. Same result... OJ and Lester Williams were Gods in my 'hood.

Pre-injury McGahee was the best at his peak. That game against Virginia Tech was like NFL vs. D-IAA.

Good point about McGahee. I went back and watched some of his work and it is absolutely amazing. A shame that McGahee did not win the Heisman as he WAS the best college football player that year. His 2002 season was by far the best season by a Miami RB.

So I revise my answer and say pre-injury Gore and pre-injury McGahee are tied in my mind as the two best RB talents to ever put on The U.

Advertisement
Back