Who Runs This Scheme?

Really good post. That Goal Line picture vs GTECH is laughable.

Like some have posted, Louisville is a good example. Here's what they do:

attachment.php

Notice the LB depth and DB's on 3rd and 8. This play resulted in an INT in the endzone.

attachment.php

Part 1. Again, look at the hats in the box and the DB's

attachment.php

Part 2. DT disrupted the pitch lane resulting in another turnover.

Now, here's what we do

attachment.php

attachment.php

The results:
We have given up 22 TD's, 328 yards per game and 171 points.

They
have given up 9 TD's, 230 yards per game and 99 points.

NO ONE HAS REACHED 300 YARDS IN A GAME AGAINST THEM THIS YEAR. THEY HELD CLEMSON TO 229 YARDS.

attachment.php

THE CLOUD/TALENT/TOO COMPLEX CRAP:

Everyone knows this is Year 4 of running a 3-4 (or whatever it is) for us and Year 1 for Louisville. Grantham used the existing 4-3 personnel at Louisville. We have recruited and handpicked the players we wanted to run the system for 4 years.

-We have two 5 Stars, seven 4 Stars and five 3 Stars in heavy rotation along with Fentress (NR).
-They have zero 5 Stars, two 4 Stars (both from Miami, FL) and nine 3 Stars (5 from Florida).

Conclusion: Less time to implement, less talent, night and day results on the field. Why?

Advertisement
At least we've finally got some real world posts on Louisville's defense and how strong it is. Prior to that game and for weeks afterward I kept reading how mediocre that program was, and that we should have walk all over them. Revenge and all. Yeah, that lovely angle of claiming revenge on the road.

Louisville blew that game at Clemson last week with some incredible gaffes on the final possession. I can just imagine if it happened with Golden. Their young quarterback spiked the ball on 3rd and goal instead of merely running a play. The clock was running but there was gobs of time. He essentially forfeited one play. Then on 4th down they ran the ever popular roll right. Somehow that play is still touted by fans and analysts even though the success rate on 2 point conversions and on 4th down is comically low, right up there with 3rd down screen passes.

I keep reading Alabama described as a 3-4 team but the past two weeks they have 4 down linemen much more often than not, with nobody on the nose. Regardless of alignment those guys are leaning forward and ready to attack, not the frog stance as accurately described here.

Saban has been quoted multiple times saying that while they are a base 3-4 team in theory, they primarily play 4-3 because of the evolution of the spread. Google it, many articles will come up.

We choose to counter the spread with our base 3-4, though.

attachment.php

Notice the LB depth and DB's on 3rd and 8. This play resulted in an INT in the endzone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now, here's what we do

attachment.php

attachment.php

The results:

They

NO ONE HAS REACHED 300 YARDS IN A GAME AGAINST THEM THIS YEAR. THEY HELD CLEMSON TO 229 YARDS.

attachment.php

Everyone knows this is Year 4 of running a 3-4 (or whatever it is) for us and Year 1 for Louisville. Grantham used the existing 4-3 personnel at Louisville. We have recruited and handpicked the players we wanted to run the system for 4 years.

-We have two 5 Stars, seven 4 Stars and five 3 Stars in heavy rotation along with Fentress (NR).
-They have zero 5 Stars, two 4 Stars (both from Miami, FL) and nine 3 Stars (5 from Florida).

Conclusion: Less time to implement, less talent, night and day results on the field. Why?

I got the goal line alignment but you showing Louisville lining up against a spread, trips right formation and Miami lining up against the flexbone. They are completely different offenses and formations. I'm not so sure our guys were lined up correctly. The tackle should have been in a 1-technique and Perryman should have been 3-yards off the line of scrimmage.

Jeremy Pruitt @ UGA is the first that comes to mind, Saban runs it, and Carroll ran it at USC, as well. The difference is that ALL of those coaches have a **** clue about defensive football. Our guy(s) don't. We continue to try and run this 2 Gap bullsh!t when we can't do it effectively. Saban and Carroll have came out and BOTH have said that it is really hard to run it in College because the DL kids are generally smaller, don't take up much space, and it can become really complex (especially since you don't have but X amount of time to put all of the wrinkles in.) They both uses more of the 1 Gap versions of the 3-4. Therefore you can be in attack mode at the snap, not looking like an 10 month old squatting to take a dump (frog stance).

Completely and utterly incorrect.
The only other team I know of in college that runs it is Notre Dame, although not sure anymore. They ran it when Alabama ran a train on them in the title game. Bob Diaco coached under Groh right after Folden left for Temple.

Dude, All of the afore mentioned schools runs a 3-4 scheme. I don't just make **** up, like alot of posters here. They just slide the front and run a 1 gap version of it to make it look like a 4-3. ****, Pruitt ran it when he worked for Saban! Why on earth do you think a kid like Leonard Floyd is listed as a OLB when his hand is in the dirt 90% of the time. If you don't believe me, look it up. Pruitt was at Alabama undes Saban, took the FSU DC job, and now he's at UGA.

I am pretty sure that Pete Carroll has always ran a 4-3 front. I don't ever recall USC employing a 3-4 scheme while he was there.

A lot of schools run a version of a 3-4 defense, but nobody does it as timid or conservative that Golden does. My understanding of the advantages of a 3-4 scheme is to get more athletic pass rushers on the field to help you create confusion/mismatches in your pass rush and blitz packages. We do not take advantage of that at all that I have witnessed. Some schools who do seem to run it properly are Stanford, Wisconsin, and Alabama.

Carroll ran a 4-3 under at USC.

Advertisement
Jeremy Pruitt @ UGA is the first that comes to mind, Saban runs it, and Carroll ran it at USC, as well. The difference is that ALL of those coaches have a **** clue about defensive football. Our guy(s) don't. We continue to try and run this 2 Gap bullsh!t when we can't do it effectively. Saban and Carroll have came out and BOTH have said that it is really hard to run it in College because the DL kids are generally smaller, don't take up much space, and it can become really complex (especially since you don't have but X amount of time to put all of the wrinkles in.) They both uses more of the 1 Gap versions of the 3-4. Therefore you can be in attack mode at the snap, not looking like an 10 month old squatting to take a dump (frog stance).[/QUOTE]

How often do you see our kids in a 4-point stance on throwing downs? It allows you to get more weight forward and have better forward explosion and leverage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now, here's what we do

attachment.php

attachment.php

The results:

They

attachment.php

I got the goal line alignment but you showing Louisville lining up against a spread, trips right formation and Miami lining up against the flexbone. They are completely different offenses and formations. I'm not so sure our guys were lined up correctly. The tackle should have been in a 1-technique and Perryman should have been 3-yards off the line of scrimmage.

It shows vastly different philosophies. No team runs more than GT but we actually look like we're lined up against a spread passing team right? Whereas Lville chose to impose their will by attacking the spread.

It shows vastly different philosophies. No team runs more than GT but we actually look like we're lined up against a spread passing team right? Whereas Lville chose to impose their will by attacking the spread.
I get what you're trying to do, but I wouldn't use Louisville vs Wake to make that point though.

We did the same thing against an inferior Duke team this year.

Advertisement
Saban has been quoted multiple times saying that while they are a base 3-4 team in theory, they primarily play 4-3 because of the evolution of the spread. Google it, many articles will come up.

We choose to counter the spread with our base 3-4, though.

This is exactly why I have no time for these ******** anymore. There's NFL teams like that too. It's not necessarily our "philosophy" that I hate, it's our complete lack of adjusting. The **** you have 4 linebackers out there when there's 5 wide receivers? Especially when we have DB depth? Why when you line up in a 3-4 you play the LBs 7 yards back against a run option? Why do you not bring a safety down?

Its not the philosophy, it's the utter buffoonery we show doing it.

I get what you're trying to do, but I wouldn't use Louisville vs Wake to make that point though.

We did the same thing against an inferior Duke team this year.

Gotcha. Bigger point to me is what Lville's success with the 3-4 in 1 year shows about our staff

My thing is we came out in this symmetrical looking formation which I have never seen before. We have never lined up like that in many of our previous years playing Georgia tech.

That means that the coaches thought that there was some kind of advantage to lining up like that. They actually game planned and asked the kids to line up like that.

Then they see that their ridiculous formation is not working, yet they continue to line up like that play after play, situation after situation.

That is the most asinine thing they have done. Just so stubborn in making an adjustment. That's why I lost hope. Any other sane person would have changed something. But we didn't because that's what they game planned for.

Why not run the defense like we have run it the previous 4 years????

Advertisement
Jeremy Pruitt @ UGA is the first that comes to mind, Saban runs it, and Carroll ran it at USC, as well. The difference is that ALL of those coaches have a **** clue about defensive football. Our guy(s) don't. We continue to try and run this 2 Gap bullsh!t when we can't do it effectively. Saban and Carroll have came out and BOTH have said that it is really hard to run it in College because the DL kids are generally smaller, don't take up much space, and it can become really complex (especially since you don't have but X amount of time to put all of the wrinkles in.) They both uses more of the 1 Gap versions of the 3-4. Therefore you can be in attack mode at the snap, not looking like an 10 month old squatting to take a dump (frog stance).

Completely and utterly incorrect.
The only other team I know of in college that runs it is Notre Dame, although not sure anymore. They ran it when Alabama ran a train on them in the title game. Bob Diaco coached under Groh right after Folden left for Temple.

Dude, All of the afore mentioned schools runs a 3-4 scheme. I don't just make **** up, like alot of posters here. They just slide the front and run a 1 gap version of it to make it look like a 4-3. ****, Pruitt ran it when he worked for Saban! Why on earth do you think a kid like Leonard Floyd is listed as a OLB when his hand is in the dirt 90% of the time. If you don't believe me, look it up. Pruitt was at Alabama undes Saban, took the FSU DC job, and now he's at UGA.

I am pretty sure that Pete Carroll has always ran a 4-3 front. I don't ever recall USC employing a 3-4 scheme while he was there.

A lot of schools run a version of a 3-4 defense, but nobody does it as timid or conservative that Golden does. My understanding of the advantages of a 3-4 scheme is to get more athletic pass rushers on the field to help you create confusion/mismatches in your pass rush and blitz packages. We do not take advantage of that at all that I have witnessed. Some schools who do seem to run it properly are Stanford, Wisconsin, and Alabama.

I do remember a quote somewhere from Carroll about how he had to slim down his defense at USC because of the limitations of trying to teach it to college kids, who had only a limited number of hours of practice time. He has a more complex defense now with the Seahawks. i think it involves a base 4-3, with a NT, and combines some features of penetration and two-gapping. I'm not sure, though. I read some articles last winter, and that's essentially my recollection.

I saw that interview with Golden the other day when he said we run multiple fronts, but he likes the 3-4 because it gets more speed on the field. So that means he uses three DLs and four LBs. Actually, Jimmy Johnson said his 4-3, the one we all love, was a "five LB scheme." He described the two DEs as essentially LBs with their hands on the ground.

I don't think Jimmy cared as much about giving up the occasional big play. He acknowledged in a quote in wikipedia that the 4-3 is susceptible to the occasional big offensive play, but he feld this was balanced out by the havoc his attacking defense could cause, resulting in more big defensive plays including turnovers.

I do have the impression that the Golden defense tries to do too much reading and protecting of areas and gaps. I remember Wannstadt as describing the Johnson 4-3 as having the DLs read as they penetrate.

If anybody remembers the old defense we used before Johnson I think it was something similar to what we have now. It was passive and reading. When UCLA prepared for us in the Fiesta Bowl at the end of the '84 season they were very surprised that our defense was not a "blitzkrieg" (as they described it). They studied Oklahoma State film to prepare for Johnson's defense and were surprised when our DLs just stayed in place. Johnson was just finishing up a very unsatisfying season where he was really forced to continue utilizing the scheme carried over by the Schnellenberger staff under DC Bill Trout.

Of course, maybe everything will change once Donna leaves. Nobody really knows how much influence she has over our defensive scheme, but I guess a lot. I'm sure she was calling offensive plays during the Shannon era. You saw that picture of her with the headphones on the sideline. Nobody is allowed to do that unless they're in on it. I'm sure she had her finger in everything.

Bob Diaco ran literally the same exact defense we run when he was at Notre Dame when they went to the NC. At UCONN he's running it some but they do a bunch of different stuff because they're transitioning.

Bx8FZ4cIIAA_q0p.jpg:large

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back