Who is here from old Grassy/Scout?

Advertisement
Yes indeed. I thought the mid 00s were also a good era when randy split off and did his CF.com board but alas, that also marked the beginning of the end of the lounge. That was also the time you saw the great divide on grassy start - you had the ardent Coker fluffers getting banned by over eager mods, people starting to get personal, etc. Some great characters and moments on those boards back then.

The board began to die when good posters like PennMedCane and Numbers were being drowned out by idiots like Randy and others. The CanesOverHere crew are so self-important it's hilarious.

Constantly negative whiners whose only contribution to society seems to be organizing road tailgates.

But those tailgates were epic.

Dont remember my name from there but started around 1997. I remember finding the site then and thinking how awesome that I can read things about my Canes while living in Nebraska.

I started on Grassy.com in 1996 while living in Tallahassee (wife was getting Masters from Florida's ****tiest University after we graduated from UM). I think I had a half dozen handles over the years, not for any nefarious reasons, just kept forgetting them or would. I know I was CascadeCane while living in Portland, OR, I think I had a name with Raleigh in it when I lived in NC for a couple years, might have had Otolith and something with Snook in it (Snookblast?).

I've never had a high post count with any of my usernames, mostly lurked, and often when I did get involved in a discussion I would get so ****ed off at responses that I would tune the message board out for months at a time. I really stopped participating or even lurking much probably 10 years ago. I'm a casual passerby of any of these forums anymore.

My greatest moment as a grassy member though was in the late 90s. Back then the internet was still the wild west and I was a budding web developer. Message boards weren't very secure and it was possible to embed script in your posts. So I went over to the popular Nole board at the time (warchant maybe?) and I made a post talking crap about the seminoles. I embedded some script in it so that when any of them fools replied it would redirect their reply through my personal web server, capture their username and password to a file, and then change their reply to say something like "I agree, the Seminoles suck!". After gathering a dozen or so account credentials I logged in with one named "JD" and started posting a bunch of garbage as him. Turns out JD was the forum owner or admin and he freaked out thinking his server had been hacked. He turned off the site for all of Thanksgiving weekend as a precaution, which you can imagine threw a bunch of forum addicted seminole fans in a tizzy. When the site came back up JD made a post explaining how they were hacked and "the FBI was on it". A few weeks later I got a nasty gram from Internet service provider telling me not to do that again :)

Advertisement
Was on grassy at the beginning, had a couple different names over time, AgentOrangeandGreen/BermudaT

Advertisement
Advertisement
On Grassy mid nineties as Memsr. Took Canesport for years before that. Although Canesport had minimal recruiting information basically no one really knew much until NSD. If a High profile recruit committed usually the Miami Herald would report it. Lester Williams was the first I remember. Now we start hearing about these kids in their ninth grade year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Started posting on Grassy in 1997 as GreenHoyaCane.

Best period of time for Hurricanes blogging. Butch kept producing recruiting classes ranked between 15 and 20, and no one thought he would turn it around. He lost to VTech countless times in a row, lost to ECU twice and broke our hearts with Penn State. He was a brilliant recruiter in the end though. When he recruited Dorsey people were worried, but then Tennessee stepped in with an offer at the last minute. Good times~!

I got an email telling me that. Crazy. I was Miami04 there as well. I was a member from 1998 until the fallout.

Advertisement
Back