Who else misses EA's NCAA Football games?

Advertisement
I've had every NCAA football game since 99. My favorite game of all time and the only for sure game I got every year. Sucks that it's not around. Rumor has it that it will someday be back. In the mean time I have to settle for Madden...

Was reading somewhere that some developer was looking to make a college football game with all generic teams and players sometime by 2019

Could definitely see someone making a game and using online downloading as a legal loophole for us to bring in actual teams

Don't hold your breath. It's two cousins who were fans of the series going the kickstarter route.

In all likelihood, cfb games are on hold until all of the legal stuff is sorted out. Even then, they might to too risky for a major dev to take a chance on.

Well ****
reverse-1350323170_weatherman_tropical_storm_john_boner.gif

I still think something will give somewhere down the line though..i mean in 2k17 you can make a micro version of ncaa 2k17 with 36 college teams in MyLeague..different scenario obviously, just really hope they come back soon.

Even if someone could get all of the D1 affiliates to give permission for use of their schools trademarks and just a completely blank or generic roster with a bunch of blank named and same height and weight players that you can edit at your own disposal. Still would be worth it to me haha

Was reading somewhere that some developer was looking to make a college football game with all generic teams and players sometime by 2019

Could definitely see someone making a game and using online downloading as a legal loophole for us to bring in actual teams

Don't hold your breath. It's two cousins who were fans of the series going the kickstarter route.

In all likelihood, cfb games are on hold until all of the legal stuff is sorted out. Even then, they might to too risky for a major dev to take a chance on.

Well ****
reverse-1350323170_weatherman_tropical_storm_john_boner.gif

I still think something will give somewhere down the line though..i mean in 2k17 you can make a micro version of ncaa 2k17 with 36 college teams in MyLeague..different scenario obviously, just really hope they come back soon.

Even if someone could get all of the D1 affiliates to give permission for use of their schools trademarks and just a completely blank or generic roster with a bunch of blank named and same height and weight players that you can edit at your own disposal. Still would be worth it to me haha

The NCAA could easily write a check to every student athlete featured on the game, but that would be a rational response. The NCAA isn't interested in ever paying student-athletes, because well. They believe in the old tried and true philosophy of "Everything for me, nothing for anyone else"

It's all Ed O'Bannon's fault. Punk couldn't cut it in the NBA, was a massive bust like that entire 95 UCLA squad, couldn't cut it in Europe, couldn't cut it as a car salesman, so he decides to come up w this lawsuit against EA and collegiate apparel for using "his likeness" to get some $. **** yeah I miss the college games from EA, OP.

Considering that he had been out of college for almost 15 years, and EA/NCAA was using his likeness and profiting from it, I don't blame the guy for having a beef with it. It's shameful that the NCAA can make money off of players, long after they have left campus. EA and the NCAA could easily write a check to each student-athlete, or agree to cut them a check based on sales, or split it among all student-athletes, but they won't.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's a known fact that 100% of the time, wives and girlfriends cheat on men that play video games. Then they will eventually leave and/or divorce the poor sap.

That's why it's always smartest to NEVER have a wife or girlfriend.

Just have side pieces with a good variety. Relationships are for suckers.

You gotta have a wife or gf to have a sidepiece genius...

Have an addendum in D1 scholarships that athletes give permission to use their likeness in games, apparel, etc.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Problem is, now there is a precedent for players getting paid. That genie is out of the bottle and wont go back in. :/

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

I have a family member pretty high up in EA. I questioned him about NCAA and he said the software that generates the pro players for Madden is easily used for college players. The hardest part of the NCAA games was getting all those different stadiums made, from what he told me.

Miss ncaa so much, heard it a new college game in the works too called gridiron champions but idk how it coming along tho

Advertisement
It's not an NCAA issue. EA just doesn't want to get sued.

I agree with an earlier post about just giving the players a piece of the rights fees. EA has to pay the NCAA a rights fee in order to use the schools, their colors, mascots, stadiums etc. Why not set aside a portion of the rights money and distribute it to the players once they've exhausted their eligibility? Every player gets the same payout. If some diva doesn't want his likeness featured in a video game, he can opt out and not be featured in the game and not collect a penny of the rights money.

It's really simple. Sure the NCAA and the schools might not be putting 100% of the rights money in their pockets but anything is better than 0%.

Edit: after thinking about it, they'd have to expand the roster size to accommodate the entire active roster or at least the full 85 scholarship players. I believe the rosters in the old NCAA video games were only about 70 players or so.

Last edited:
Bought it every year, on the release day. Loved that game.

Also hated the game too though. Never seen a sports game cheat more.

I miss this game so much. I'm still playing NCAA 14 because I just can't get with Madden. O'Bannon had to go and mess things up for everybody.

It's all Ed O'Bannon's fault. Punk couldn't cut it in the NBA, was a massive bust like that entire 95 UCLA squad, couldn't cut it in Europe, couldn't cut it as a car salesman, so he decides to come up w this lawsuit against EA and collegiate apparel for using "his likeness" to get some $. **** yeah I miss the college games from EA, OP.

Considering that he had been out of college for almost 15 years, and EA/NCAA was using his likeness and profiting from it, I don't blame the guy for having a beef with it. It's shameful that the NCAA can make money off of players, long after they have left campus. EA and the NCAA could easily write a check to each student-athlete, or agree to cut them a check based on sales, or split it among all student-athletes, but they won't.

I might be in the minority here but I disagree. These are amateur athletes receiving a free education, room and board, and food, not to mention endless resources when it comes to tudors, workout programs, food, etc. They have a major advantage over the average student who has to pay for all these things. So for a kid that goes to Miami, they graduate 4 yrs later and have probably saved themselves 200K in school loans not to mention rent or dorm fees, food, etc. Plus these schools are giving these kids a springboard to possibly make more in their first 3-4 yrs than most of us will make in a lifetime. Small price to pay I would think... Yes, the NCAA and these schools are making **** tons of money but come on.

Advertisement
It's a known fact that 100% of the time, wives and girlfriends cheat on men that play video games. Then they will eventually leave and/or divorce the poor sap.

That's why it's always smartest to NEVER have a wife or girlfriend.

Just have side pieces with a good variety. Relationships are for suckers.

Yeah, I forgot, video game guys crush a lot of a$$.

Advertisement
It will be back in 2019 with EA, buddy is a manager there and they have a 5 year term, after that is up look for it to be coming back. Buddy is one of the head guys on Madden.

I might be in the minority here but I disagree. These are amateur athletes receiving a free education, room and board, and food, not to mention endless resources when it comes to tudors, workout programs, food, etc. They have a major advantage over the average student who has to pay for all these things. So for a kid that goes to Miami, they graduate 4 yrs later and have probably saved themselves 200K in school loans not to mention rent or dorm fees, food, etc. Plus these schools are giving these kids a springboard to possibly make more in their first 3-4 yrs than most of us will make in a lifetime. Small price to pay I would think... Yes, the NCAA and these schools are making **** tons of money but come on.
[MENTION=792]marshallrc13[/MENTION], I totally agree w/ you.

Bought it every year, on the release day. Loved that game.

Also hated the game too though. Never seen a sports game cheat more.

Like the "bug" that would give the CPU defense an extra safety! Must have been an ACC *****.

Or my 94 speed RB being hawked from behind by a Defensive Tackle at North Dakota State.
Or the CPU's 74 overall ranked Cornerback blanketing my 95 overall WR on a slant route.

Google "psychic DB's" and you'll see what I'm talking about. The CB would actually run the route before the WR would.

Or my favorite ****.

CPU lines up in one coverage, so I audible (without changing my formation) and the CPU lines up in a completely different coverage. I audible again, the defense moves again. SMH

Advertisement
Back