Who do you think is the better WR: Jeff Thomas or Ahmmon Richards?

Advertisement
Richards! What that kid did his freshman year was jaw dropping. Thomas is great at times....but not as constantly great as Richards.

He’s not far better at that, it’s just not accurate. I love Richards ability and he’s an elite receiver but he can’t make that move like Jeff did(consistently does but malik never finds him) vs unc. Not many can honestly

Lol. Yes it is accurate. Richards can make any move Jeff can make, he’s just not as fast. And he creates separation and catches contested passes far better.

Richards! What that kid did his freshman year was jaw dropping. Thomas is great at times....but not as constantly great as Richards.
Which is why he’s the better overall receiver, just think Thomas is better in a few areas though

Advertisement
Look forward to the next version of this thread: Mark Walton or Cam Davis

Lol. Yes it is accurate. Richards can make any move Jeff can make, he’s just not as fast. And he creates separation and catches contested passes far better.

Gotta agree with Brock on this one. Richards is Phenomenal, but there are some cuts that Jeff makes that very few people alive can make.

With Rosier I'll take Richards. Thomas is more valuable with an elite QB who can actually hit him in stride when he separates vertically. TY Hilton with and without Andrew Luck is a good barometer for Thomas. Or DeSean Jackson who was useless last year because Rapeis can't throw an accurate deep ball.

Advertisement
I'd like to see him stay on the outside and let Pope in the slot. A lot will depend on how Cager looks and whether he shows he belongs on the field more than Pope.
Agree with the sentiment. Thomas has demonstrated the aptitude to play both positions, so here's hoping Cager is good enough to demand lots of snaps, and Thomas plays inside and outside, with Pope getting his feet wet in the slot.

He does it consistently, just have to hit him when he’s open. Jeff Thomas is elite at this period. Watch any of the videos of his film, one on ones whatever. He been doing this

Dude, this is just proof of Jeffs ability. It isnt proof of Jeffs ability to DO IT BETTER THAN RICHARDS.

Show me a side by side video of both Jeff and Ahmmon running routes; and showing me how Jeff consistently separates better than Ahmmon.

This shid sounds silly man. Ahmmon may look different doing it and may use different parts of his body to create that separation. All that matters is that he separates. HE does that very well and there is no proof whatsoever that Jeff separates better.

At the least, show me a series where both players were guarded by the same guy and Jeff consistently gained separation and Ahmonn didnt.

I highly doubt you can do this because it isnt true.

Jeffs feet LOOK faster than ahmmons. That doesnt mean he gets better separation.

Ive seen guys like Jeff Thomas get shut down by tall long corners because they weren't strong enough to get off the jam to create seperation.
Ahmonn has way more separation ability due to overall strength, length, and athleticism.
'

Last edited:
Agree with the sentiment. Thomas has demonstrated the aptitude to play both positions, so here's hoping Cager is good enough to demand lots of snaps, and Thomas plays inside and outside, with Pope getting his feet wet in the slot.

It's a good problem to have. We should be able to pick and choose the matchups as Cager has excellent size, but certainly not the speed of Thomas or Pope. If Richt is the right man to call plays, he will shine this year with all of the weapons we have.

Advertisement

He does it consistently, just have to hit him when he’s open. Jeff Thomas is elite at this period. Watch any of the videos of his film, one on ones whatever. He been doing this

That's a great job of beating press and then running past slower defenders, not creating separation. Creating separation is using your route running to deceive and create open space. It's finding huge holes in zone coverage. TBH, this is something that JT was subpar at last year, and is something that AR has shown to be above average at.

I'm as impressed with that Carolina play, and with the potential for #4 as anyone, but this is a silly conversation right now. Thomas underperformed his hype last year, and it wasn't all the QB's fault. He's got some technical aspects he needs to improve on. He's got the potential to be a very good player, but don't go crowning his *** just yet.

That's a great job of beating press and then running past slower defenders, not creating separation. Creating separation is using your route running to deceive and create open space. It's finding huge holes in zone coverage. TBH, this is something that JT was subpar at last year, and is something that AR has shown to be above average at.

I'm as impressed with that Carolina play, and with the potential for #4 as anyone, but this is a silly conversation right now. Thomas underperformed his hype last year, and it wasn't all the QB's fault. He's got some technical aspects he needs to improve on. He's got the potential to be a very good player, but don't go crowning his *** just yet.
He didn’t play much until what the 5th game of the season after FSU? He still averaged over 22 ypc which is explosive af and there were more plays on the field to be made

He didn’t play much until what the 5th game of the season after FSU? He still averaged over 22 ypc which is explosive af and there were more plays on the field to be made

I didn't argue that. But I will say that he's got to work on his route running if he wants to be more than a fly pattern guy. He was having a hard time getting open and with the physicality against Clemson. He's got a lot of physical talent, he is no where near a technician at his position, yet, based on last year's film.

Advertisement
It would take a MASSIVE jump for him to be a top 5 WR in the country, let alone player.

Also, we are no lock to have better QB this season.
Now now, let’s not devolve into another “QB sucks” thread. 😝

I didn't argue that. But I will say that he's got to work on his route running if he wants to be more than a fly pattern guy. He was having a hard time getting open and with the physicality against Clemson. He's got a lot of physical talent, he is no where near a technician at his position, yet, based on last year's film.
He was open on the first play of the game that should have been a td vs clemson malik missed. Jeff no doubt has things he needs to work on just like any receiver we have including ahmmon(who dropped quite a few passes he should have caught last season regardless of the injuries).

AR has always and I think will always be better. Lets not forget AR has run away from many people as well

He was open on the first play of the game that should have been a td vs clemson malik missed. Jeff no doubt has things he needs to work on just like any receiver we have including ahmmon(who dropped quite a few passes he should have caught last season regardless of the injuries).

I wonder if that was even the correct route. Rosier was rolling out the opposite direction and he would've need to have thrown that ball 60-65 yards to be hit in stride. Rosier tried, only got 53 yards. PI should have been called, face mask should've been called. Richards would've caught it anyway.

Advertisement
Back