Whiner Nick Saban & SEC Media Days

I know that the Portal seems like it was good to us this year. Hopefully we see the results on the field. Though really if it is free reign for a kid to change at any time then UGA, Bama, and the other ones playing the bag game will adjust quickly. Still try to lock up the high school talent but they will shift to focus on kids who are actually panning out at other schools. We already lose recruits that people are guessing will be good to the bags. It is going to be a lot worse when one we get turns out to be good and they throw some bags for that player to transfer.

Just like they adjusted to the early signing period.

Advertisement
This is the same man that tried to get the rules changed to eliminate no huddle offenses because his big lumbering defenses got exposed against teams that went up tempo. He signs the best recruits money can buy, of course he doesn't want them to leave once the check clears. I'm sure what he really wants is NO TRANSFERS at all but he can't come out and say it without getting a ton of blow-back. As for players not caring about bowl games, well that's what happens when you have 200 bowls and none of them actually mean anything. ****, I remember Miami players back in the hey-days complaining about having to play in bowl games that wouldn't decide the natty.

Players transfer for the same reason they skip bowl games. They are doing what's best for their future professional career. No NFL team is going to draft the third string outside linebacker at Bama just because he played for Saban. It's in that kid's best interests to transfer somewhere he will actually be able to see the field and get some tape. It's the coaches that started treating college football like a business decades ago. They can't get mad because the players decided to do the same.

I know that the Portal seems like it was good to us this year. Hopefully we see the results on the field. Though really if it is free reign for a kid to change at any time then UGA, Bama, and the other ones playing the bag game will adjust quickly. Still try to lock up the high school talent but they will shift to focus on kids who are actually panning out at other schools. We already lose recruits that people are guessing will be good to the bags. It is going to be a lot worse when one we get turns out to be good and they throw some bags for that player to transfer.

Just like they adjusted to the early signing period.
A player has to first enter his name into the portal before schools can contact him. I understand that if schools are willing to cheat and pay high school recruits, they'd probably be willing to cheat and contact kids who aren't in the portal yet. The only thing is, if a kid who's not interested in transferring blows the whistle, you'll be up ***** creek.

A player has to first enter his name into the portal before schools can contact him. I understand that if schools are willing to cheat and pay high school recruits, they'd probably be willing to cheat and contact kids who aren't in the portal yet. The only thing is, if a kid who's not interested in transferring blows the whistle, you'll be up ***** creek.

They have ignored the players who blow the whistle on the payment thing. What evidence is there they are going to do anything about feelers of transfer offers?

First you've got to prove that contact. If its impossible to prove hundreds of thousands of dollars, imagine a random conversation with a stranger.

Advertisement
They have ignored the players who blow the whistle on the payment thing. What evidence is there they are going to do anything about feelers of transfer offers?
Those players will be enrolled in another university, playing for another staff. If some coach illegally contacted a Miami player and that player mentioned it to Coach Diaz, don't you think there would be a HUGE deal made of it? No coach is just going to stay hush hush about his players being potentially poached.

First you've got to prove that contact. If its impossible to prove hundreds of thousands of dollars, imagine a random conversation with a stranger.
The players getting bags aren't snitching on themselves. I mean, if coaches were really willing to go so far as to contact other teams' scholarship players, they would have already been doing it for decades. The portal would have no bearing whatsoever on it.

The players getting bags aren't snitching on themselves. I mean, if coaches were really willing to go so far as to contact other teams' scholarship players, they would have already been doing it for decades. The portal would have no bearing whatsoever on it.
Right, but as you said previously, no player isn't going to report that contact. Further, there has to be an element of credibility to their offer. People won't drop bags on speculation.

I'm just saying the last thing on anyone's mind is punishment. There's too much risk in the process long before we get to consequences after the fact.

Advertisement
Of course he wants players to sit a year. That’s always going to help the team that’s overloaded with four and five stars, which is much more likely to have a player leave than to bring one in. He also doesn’t want it to be made easier for players to leave his team.

I mean I get it, he’s going to advocate for the things that help his team more than help other teams. But that’s how you have to take his statements.

It’s not something he is saying out of the goodness of his heart for the good of football in general, although that’s what he wants you to think.

Saban is a pure hypocrite. He wants you to think that he’s advocating for these things for the good of the game, he is not. And he insults our intelligence because he expects us to believe that.

I don’t care if he’s advocating for something that’s for the good of Alabama only which is exactly what he’s doing now.

But it’s insulting that he expects other people to believe that what he’s advocating for is good for everybody

Nick Saban only advocates for things that are good for Nick Saban.

What's really insulting is when ESPN blah blah blah-heads like Golic and Greenberg take this guy on face value and actually "debate" the "merits" of his position rather than dismissing it out of hand with a brief explanation as you have done.

Of course he wants players to sit a year. That’s always going to help the team that’s overloaded with four and five stars, which is much more likely to have a player leave than to bring one in. He also doesn’t want it to be made easier for players to leave his team.

I mean I get it, he’s going to advocate for the things that help his team more than help other teams. But that’s how you have to take his statements.

It’s not something he is saying out of the goodness of his heart for the good of football in general, although that’s what he wants you to think.

Saban is a pure hypocrite. He wants you to think that he’s advocating for these things for the good of the game, he is not. And he insults our intelligence because he expects us to believe that.

I don’t care if he’s advocating for something that’s for the good of Alabama only which is exactly what he’s doing now.

But it’s insulting that he expects other people to believe that what he’s advocating for is good for everybody

name a coach who isn't like that.

Advertisement
The solution to this is pretty simple. Legitimize the distinction between the Power 5 and the Group of 5 conferences. Have a separate national championship for each and divvy up the bowl games.

Advertisement

facts

You could just wait until the kid is in the portal and pay him to go to your school instead of the competitor. So if Bama is fighting over a kid from Florida with a few other schools they could still drop that bag to secure him.

You could just wait until the kid is in the portal and pay him to go to your school instead of the competitor. So if Bama is fighting over a kid from Florida with a few other schools they could still drop that bag to secure him.
Yeah, I'm sure that kind of thing is already happening at least a little, The thing is, the bag schools aren't taking transfers, they're losing them. The portal just makes it tougher to hoard talent.

Advertisement
Back