Whiner Nick Saban & SEC Media Days

Context....

I hate Nick like the next man, but he was really griping on the state of the young player in general. He said the CFP has unknowingly watered down the importance of bowl games. Felt kids in yesteryear were juiced to play in bowl games, but now, if they are not competing in the CFP, they look at all bowl games like it's not important. He doesn't like the current state or mind frame of these kids, in so many words; from sitting out bowl games, transferring and expecting to play immediately, etc. I actually agreed w/ him and maybe that's b/c I'm more of a sports traditionalist.

And he's right on all accounts.

For as much as i dislike the Saban era and the shadiness around his programs buying top end players, the guy is a great coach and speaks the truth a lot when it comes to today's game and players.

Advertisement
Naw what’s funny is bama players trying to say uga was the hardest team they played all year despite getting whipped even worse by Clemson. Clemson players wasn’t having none of that at media day today either and called them out
I laughed when Quentin Williams (I think that's the DT who was drafted by the Jets) was interviewed and said Lawrence wasn't doing anything special. The kid freaking tore them a new one with his accuracy. Another Bama player I'm hoping busts for a couple reasons Bama and the Jets lol.

The guy is hypocrite!

How quickly did he depart the Dolphins when he realized that one cannot cheat in the NFL? Did Saban have to "sit out a year" when he suddenly ran from the Dolphins?

Saban wins because they pay more for high school recruits than any other coach in the country. He is a very good coach, who completely failed in the NFL because he is "very good" and not exceptional.

Give all NCAA teams $3M to $5M in recruiting "bags" and see which coach wins the most.

Advertisement
I can respect the tradition of bowl games, but they have no one to blame but themselves. In their attempt to preserve the status quo for decades, they have ended only with making 3 bowls relevant...2 playoffs and Natty contest.

Every other bowl is an also ran and after thought.

Of course the best athletes are going to sit out or mail it in for nothing more than glorified scrimmages--CFB's version of the pro bowl.

Expand the playoffs, but not nearly all the bowls can be "saved".

Rarely were more than 2 or 3 bowls relevant, as far as determining a National Champion, prior to the BCS/CFP era.

Harping on NCAA addressing transfers.....Has no problem with the transfer portal BUT does have a problem with any player being immediately eligible thinks ALL players should sit out a year when transferring. What a pompous *** as he continues to sign all 4 & 5* players but doesn't want to see anyone else have any extra eligibility benefits. (Hurtts & Martell seem to be sticking in some coaches' craw)....

:neonu::11263272045-489f4f7972-o:
Maybe one of the ***** writers should ask him what his feelings are about running players off who no longer fit his agenda.........;)

Context....

I hate Nick like the next man, but he was really griping on the state of the young player in general. He said the CFP has unknowingly watered down the importance of bowl games. Felt kids in yesteryear were juiced to play in bowl games, but now, if they are not competing in the CFP, they look at all bowl games like it's not important. He doesn't like the current state or mind frame of these kids, in so many words; from sitting out bowl games, transferring and expecting to play immediately, etc. I actually agreed w/ him and maybe that's b/c I'm more of a sports traditionalist.

There are 20 extra bowl games that shouldn’t exist. 6-6 and 7-6 teams should be allowed to go to a bowl. He is right. The bowl season is an absolute joke nowadays.

Advertisement
The guy is hypocrite!

How quickly did he depart the Dolphins when he realized that one cannot cheat in the NFL? Did Saban have to "sit out a year" when he suddenly ran from the Dolphins?

Saban wins because they pay more for high school recruits than any other coach in the country. He is a very good coach, who completely failed in the NFL because he is "very good" and not exceptional.

Give all NCAA teams $3M to $5M in recruiting "bags" and see which coach wins the most.

Agreed 100%. He is a good coach but the cheating and the infrastructure that protects their cheating should be considered when evaluating him.

Of course he wants players to sit a year. That’s always going to help the team that’s overloaded with four and five stars, which is much more likely to have a player leave than to bring one in. He also doesn’t want it to be made easier for players to leave his team.

I mean I get it, he’s going to advocate for the things that help his team more than help other teams. But that’s how you have to take his statements.

It’s not something he is saying out of the goodness of his heart for the good of football in general, although that’s what he wants you to think.

Saban is a pure hypocrite. He wants you to think that he’s advocating for these things for the good of the game, he is not. And he insults our intelligence because he expects us to believe that.

I don’t care if he’s advocating for something that’s for the good of Alabama only which is exactly what he’s doing now.

But it’s insulting that he expects other people to believe that what he’s advocating for is good for everybody

Nick Saban only advocates for things that are good for Nick Saban.
Very accurate post

Preach. Why are we rewarding mediocrity? That's the first issue.

I don’t understand how these bowls make a profit. I guess they are getting such large sums of cash by the advertiser and ESPN. The stadiums are pretty much empty for all games played the first couple of weeks. I would say 90% of the bowls gets less than 70% capacity on attendance.

Advertisement
Lol you must have missed when Kirby Smart said transfer portal isn’t a big deal and more people are transferring into SEC than leaving. No idea if that’s true and either does Kirby

Idiots falling for Saban’s bullshlt.

Guy is a propagandist for his cause.

Sure some of the stuff he’s saying is correct, but he knows that’s not going to change. The bowl system is not going to change other than maybe adding more playoff teams and instead of having four having eight or so.

But he might be able to pressure or influence the easy granting of waivers, and make it more strict. In fact maybe that’s what he’s setting up for his buddy Emmert to tighten it up again.

No, his whole point was to trash easy transfers and waivers. That is the one threat to him.

Everybody in the whole world knows that Bama pays, and they pay more than anybody else except maybe Georgia.

Why isn’t he lamenting the corruption of college football with a hidden corrupt payola sysyem. To me that would seem to be a much more serious issue for the “integrity“ of the game. But no, he throws players under the bus.

Of course no reporter, especially SEC homer reporters, have the balls to ask him.

I don’t understand how these bowls make a profit. I guess they are getting such large sums of cash by the advertiser and ESPN. The stadiums are pretty much empty for all games played the first couple of weeks. I would say 90% of the bowls gets less than 70% capacity on attendance.

Bro, I totally agree. I be looking at Lil Caesar’s Bowl and don’t nobody be there. Lol.

There’s way too many bowl games, and it’s a watered down product.

8 wins should be the minimum requirement, period. I don’t want to see a 6-7 team v. a 7-6 team in a “bowl!”

Advertisement
Saban is the greatest recruiter of all time.

If everyone in the ncaa has equal talent, how many coaches are you taking over Saban?

Saban is the greatest recruiter of all time.

If everyone in the ncaa has equal talent, how many coaches are you taking over Saban?

Saban has a lot of positive attributes as a control freak type of leader. Many people like him have been very successful in many areas.

That’s just one leadership style, though. There are other effective ones.

His style works well because he gets results, has full control and his “workers” (players) are obedient acolytes.

His hidden recruiting $upport system also helps him be a great recruiter as well.

As a control freak, and because it’s disadvantageous to his power and success, he wants the NCAA to dial it back on the transfer waivers.

The liberalization of transfer waivers, on the whole, is something that would help us but hurt him.

Advertisement
Back