Which WR flourishes in this system and why?

Did Lashlee use the backs a lot in the passing game? Genuine question. I haven’t went back to look at old games yet bc of work.

Advertisement
THIS is not a particularly amazing commentary regarding the subject matter.

Maybe there's a way for every single thread to automatically include the same rote thoughtless reply to every topic for each of the people who choose to "offer" the same rote thoughtless reply to every thread. It'll save typing for you all, get your point across, and help you rack up super high post counts to show off to each of your friends.

In the meanwhile, I'll wait to hear from someone more knowledgeable on Lashlee's offense to learn of what receivers might benefit most from the new offense.

I hope I don't offend you by wanting to read a thread without reading a entirely generic take about how we suck and will always suck--- and instead read replies actually responsive to the thread.

You might not agree, but please know I don't mean to offend.
Literally

Different coaches have different schemes which is the same difference as how certain high nfl draft selections don't turn out to be what the fans thought of a kid. Same thing with high school to college. Might be a bad example - but. Antonio Brown put up stats with the Steelers to be considered the very best wr in the nfl or tied with Odell Beckham Jr. But Antonio looks similar in stature to Wes Welker and Julien Edelman who primarily play the slot on the patriots. Who knows though, he barely played with Tom Brady. And he lined up while with the steelers not in the slot. Maybe that's why he was cut from them too. I don't really know myself. But the patriots made the playoffs after Josh Gorden and Antonio pretty much never saw the field with them.

Every so called expert forget though its a brutal way of living. Hence why former players - bring up the that the average employment is about 2 years for the average professional.

Last edited:
- Harley will post solid numbers but i dont see him getting much better, looks to have hit his ceiling
- Pope needs to get his head straight. Time to put in the work and prove he's worth some NFL $ or portal out to UCF
- Wiggins has the most upside. Legit talent but no consistency. Could have a Hankerson year if he can learn to catch (showed improvement this year) & get stronger
- Payton & Redding are wildcards. Need 1 to step up and become a true #1 WR type cause with Osborn gone we are in trouble.
- Restrepo and Daz should redshirt but will probably see the field out of need

Advertisement

Pope has been putting in work with my man Th3 Lab, whose a very good WR coach/trainer, he works with several NFL & college players.

I know most of the board hates the kid, but he didn't get many opportunities to play last year, I believe he will thrive in Lash's offense which is very WR friendly.

I think a few will.....these WRs are going to be running all over the place. They might actually get open

Advertisement

Pope has been putting in work with my man Th3 Lab, whose a very good WR coach/trainer, he works with several NFL & college players.

I know most of the board hates the kid, but he didn't get many opportunities to play last year, I believe he will thrive in Lash's offense which is very WR friendly.

Exactly, these mfs despise the kid for no reason lol. Pope going to have a breakout season this year

I'll go with Pope, who I've been down on since his recruitment (didn't think he was a 5 star).

The last 2 regimes emphasised blocking out of the WRs, and Pope just didn't fit. Lashlee's offense should get him in space with room to run after the catch, where he should excel.

If he can't excel in the type of offense Lashlee runs, then he is a bust.

Advertisement
From a previous thread and post. I posted this.

Just watched the TCU game and did a statistical deep dive. When Roman and Lance post more in depth film reviews, I'll have watched a few games too to give a more critical eye to what I've seen...but...just for posterity and it'll be interesting by next December to see how accurate I am here.

Distribution of the passing offense at a quick glance.

Slot receiver generates about 36% of the total passing offense. Buy stock in Mike Harley. He's going to eat. Probably a lot. For those of us discussing Tutu Atwell on the Recruiting Board...we'll see if Mike Harley is as good as Tutu, because, this offense is designed for him to eat. Underneath and intermediate routes just feast like Thanksgiving in this offense.

Outside receivers is where the depth comes in...Miami will have to find some wide receivers from now until signing day or focus on moving some guys here. I wouldn't expect much more than the slot to step up as a primary receiver. WR2 (X-WR Roberson) in the SMU offense went for 20% share of the offense in both years but wasn't the feature guy. Dee Wiggins, if he can learn to catch...its a big spot for him to produce in a secondary role and make big plays downfield. Michael Redding, too, could be a player here early. Lots of downfield work for this guy. Rashee Rice was a true freshman that played for SMU last year in place of an injured Reggie Roberson and ended up with a 10% share as a backup to WR2 and finished as WR3 statistically. After that, its interchangeable no matter who plays. A lot of wide receivers comprised of anywhere from 5 to 10 percent of the market and are often used to open someone else up. What does this mean? There aren't many meals to go around for WR3, WR4, and WR5 so I'd focus less on the names involved...they really don't matter (for example, those worried about Pope). Anyone can come in and get 5% of a passing offense, but they need to be team players and run their routes with integrity to make the entire offense even work. This is Sonny Dykes' influence 100%. Its what the Air Raid is all about.

TE in 2017 and 2018 was nearly non-existent. But the inclusion of Rice Transfer Kylen Granson in the 2019 offense led to a surge in production with 18% share of yards and 26% share of touchdowns. I'd expect this to be the general range to expect Brevin Jordan to hit. He was a 15% yards 8% TD player last year (thats not good, even for a TE). The distribution of receptions for a TE ends at your TE1. I'd suggest Mallory learn to catch and focus on playing WR. Other TEs come in and are used to block and get a very small percentage of the offense, but are important for blocking and running routes with integrity. Larry Hodges intrigues me as a TE that will see an increase in snaps.

By season's end, I expect WR Leaders to be

1. Slot - probably Harley...he'll be our leading WR
2. X-WR - I think Wiggins fits the mold of what Reggie Roberson brings to the table. Wiggins is just bigger, but that X is all about deep ball catches and stretching the field. I think Michael Redding could be a nice backup here. -- I'd prefer to see a grad transfer come in and win this spot...but Wiggins, if he finds consistency, can breakout in this role...if not, I think a Wiggins/Redding split would be nice. See what Rashee Rice did for SMU when Roberson was out injured...ended up as WR3 statistically.
3. TE - Brevin Jordan is one of the best TEs in the country and is legitimately underused right now. His marketshare will rise dramatically in this offense as they'll feed him often.

Passcatcher 4-7 will catch balls...and by pure volume, will see an improvement in raw statistics. But these guys need to run their complimentary routes, be good teammates, and if they do that, balls will come their way. I'm hopeful Mark Pope can come in and play the Z spot and be a consistent player for this team and I'd like to think we could get good snaps out of the rest of the group. I really like what Payton brings to the table and I think he'll provide really good reps. Just not sure if he finishes statistically higher than WR3 or Passcatcher 4.

With that said...this team could use a grad transfer WR in the worst way. Way too many question marks for a WR room that will need like 6+ guys to make real contributions this year.

Advertisement
Man I’m tired of hearing about Pope. Not expecting anything from him at this point.
This is such a ridiculous viewpoint, Jeremiah payton(who I’m high on) had **** near the same season pope had as a true freshman which was a minimal impact yet people ain’t writing him off. He just needs more touches, the spread offense will help ALL the receivers. No point in writing any of the receivers off

Last edited:
I’m talking about Pope going into his junior year not Payton’s freshman year.

Last year was supposed to be his breakout year and he only had one game of any significance. From a physical standpoint he looks similar to what he looked like in high school. He doesn’t run good routes and he isn’t very physical at the line of scrimmage.

So if Payton is going into his junior year and hasn’t done anything and hasn’t developed physically then sure you can make the comparison.

So do I have to wait until Pope’s senior year before my opinion of him isn’t ridiculous?

Pope is made for this type of offense but I have a guy feeling either payton or redding go crazy this season who ever see more play time first

Advertisement
Back