Where your money is going

I will never understand why anyone would ever donate money to a University. Just my opinion.

In my experience there are many local non-profits (real non-profits, not the types that fake it; and yes, I understand UM is private) where your money can have a much greater impact. Not to mention, it is easier to truly follow the tangible impact as opposed to writing a check to a college.

Since the mid to late 80s colleges and universities, both public and private, have taken advantage of government loan guarantees to completely offset their risk while enjoying the fruits of other worldly CAGR. It is ridiculous and sickening.

Before anyone takes this as a political post, it is not meant to be. I am a huge believer in education and think that teachers, professors, and the like are to be looked up to. Some of my greatest role models and inspirations have come from teachers. I just think there are so many other ways for someone to make a real impact with their money rather than giving it to an institution that doesn't need it.

Advertisement
I quit giving money to research after I realized all the ***** enhancement research I help fund was bs.

doctors say he "isn't right". new medical term.
1575580304830.gif

Advertisement
I still don’t understand Hurricane Club and #thenewmiamifund. Not even sure it is guaranteed to go to athletics. Last year I remembered seeing a disclosure that it could anywhere.

IMO we are way behind other schools. With Cal you can choose exactly where you want your money to go within athletics, whether it be education for athletes, nutrition, or sport specific like football or basketball. You can also do a pledge per win where you give x amount when they win a game in a specific sport.

IMO it makes giving a lot more fun and you feel a part of the team this way

Last edited:
I have no idea what fees Miami charges students but it isn't uncommon for universities to charge fees to each student each semester to help with athletic spend.

This thread makes me want to punch myself in the face. Ya'll are really reaching as to why the football program sucks

No kidding. Scrambling for reasons every day. Jennifer Strawley is fortunate her name surfaced a couple of months before this stuff, otherwise she wouldn't be as well known.

When I started seeing this type of thread about a decade ago I didn't want to believe it was serious

I have no idea what fees Miami charges students but it isn't uncommon for universities to charge fees to each student each semester to help with athletic spend.

$90 per semester. That allows the kids to get into any athletic event to include football, basketball and baseball. Also includes transportation to and free Hard Rock.

Advertisement
You know, it is going somewhere. The research stuff is typical but you should know who we are giving money to:

5/31/17 - 5/31/18
University of California 1,702,246"Research"
University of Wisconsin 694,689"Research"
Duke 317,905"Research"
FIU 669,972"Research"
Florida 798,668"Research"
Florida State 1,329,932"Research"
Frost Museum of Science 2,066,729"Research" - Securities Fraudster
NC State 157,838"Research"
San Jose State 2,955,333"Research"
Stanford 158,824"Research"
Pittsburgh 327,552"Research"
South Florida 303,567"Research"
Washington 501,256"Research"
5/31/17 - 5/31/18
Uhealth CEO 3,573,267
Uhealth CFO 2,008,369
Year endingTroll's Salary
5/31/2015 1,206,598retires
5/31/2016 1,466,927
5/31/2017 747,707
5/31/2018 312,681

Btw, I know this might be slightly off topic but U-Health is one of the best Cancer treatment providers in the nation. And I don't mind that being someone who's family member attends this center. Athletic's can find their own funding they don't need help from our health program.

That fee is very low.

Yes it is, it's basically charging students next to nothing for student seats. When you divide the yearly fee by how many sporting events you could possibly attend, it's almost comical how cheap it is to attend games as a student.

Advertisement
I’m giving mine to D$ to impose a limit on the number of threads a poster can start...

Except that I'm not. Good job of deflecting since you don't have anything constructive to say, apparently. I am comparing UM to everyone. If we're in the top 1% of available post-secondary education options, then we're not in a position where academics don't matter, as you previously wrote.

A more valid comparison would be within our peer group. Are we in the top 1% of national universities?

And there are numerous instances of more than capable students that select different options because of finances. Where is UM amongst our peers in endowments to enable those students to attend?

Advertisement
Back