Where do we go from here?

My question is , I’m wondering how many players are up getting ready for 6:00 AM training to begin all day long physical, film, field positions workouts three a days in bed by 9:00 PM.

Our did everyone just go home for a vacation sleeping late watching Bowl games and NFL games and Madden games on computer eating all day and night ?

No shock what the CHOICE was LMAO.

Then report back a month before BAMA LOLOL

Advertisement
And our defense this year was still poor relative to what defense is these days. What exactly was your point? This isn't some top 20 defense the fans are exaggerating about because we saw the 2000s teams. This defense was garbage relative to the rest of defenses in 2020.
Did you read the part about the defense took a step back this year?

My overall point is people complain about the defense getting beat when they face good offenses. My point is basically every defense is getting beat by good offenses.

Clemson with the best DC in America gave up 518 yards to the best offense they faced this year in ND. Alabama gave up nearly 500 yards and 46 points to UF, and over 600 yards and 48 points to Ole Miss the 2 best offenses they faced this year.

Miami has 1 five star on defense, Clemson and Bama both have 7 each.

I’ve already stated I’m on board with a new DC or changes, just pointing out some facts.

its coastal championship or bust for Manny next year. No excuses, period. He either gets us to Charlotte or he gets fired. There is no in between

If this year was a split division, we would've won the coastal assuming we beat Georgia Tech. Can't say "beat Clemson or bust"...but he has to get a little higher than simply winning the coastal.

Advertisement
I was honestly waiting for another video of Pope working out, you know, we saw 40 of them last season.

We have been a non factor for going on 18 years D. That is what scares me. Most of us will be in our 40s and 50s soon. This is scary I don't know if we will get back there. I mean Saban may retire, but I'm still not happy with the direction of a program that literally set the gold standard.
We are not improving dramatically in the future unless the University administration makes a concerted effort to make drastic changes to rebuild our football program and the key word is program. You do not make strides with gimmicks, chains and a staff full of dudes with false bravado especially the HC. Look at Alabama, the have analysts on staff that are better than coordinators at UM. Their AD moves the needle in one of college football’s elite conferences, our guy got a promo from selling tickets. Now we will make a few portal signings and most here will be thrilled when in fact the portal signings are filling gaps from poor recruiting. It doesn’t hurt to get a guy or 2, but the elite build from the ground up and construct their programs accordingly. It’s a well oiled machine from the administration to the AD to football ops working with the HC and his staff to develop ultra successful college football programs. We had an opportunity to at least give it a go, we punted on fourth and 1.to answer your question we’re going nowhere until we commit to drastic changes. 15 years of failure doesn’t lie. We are not close, don’t buy into Manny and Blake’s circus

Advertisement
There is no offseason in the chase for rings, it’s a choice rings or Xbox.

Choices are being made with BAMA on horizon all will become very clear .

Gurvan and Bolden have the talent, speed, and athleticism. What happened? Banda and scheme
Bolden is a punk. He only hits guys when they aren't looking. When it's him vs the ball carrier head on, he runs out of the way. Literally. Maybe Bishop Gorman players / coaches are overrated.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 3.25.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 3.25.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 3.25.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 3.27.29 PM.png

Did you read the part about the defense took a step back this year?

My overall point is people complain about the defense getting beat when they face good offenses. My point is basically every defense is getting beat by good offenses.

Clemson with the best DC in America gave up 518 yards to the best offense they faced this year in ND. Alabama gave up nearly 500 yards and 46 points to UF, and over 600 yards and 48 points to Ole Miss the 2 best offenses they faced this year.

Miami has 1 five star on defense, Clemson and Bama both have 7 each.

I’ve already stated I’m on board with a new DC or changes, just pointing out some facts.
I read your post. Nobody is asking for the defense to give up 6 pts/game like it is 1998. We're all disappointed that the defense is bad against even average offenses. Our defense shouldn't ever be outside of the top 50 given our cupcake schedule and talent advantage we have nearly every week.

If you're admitting the defense stinks and changes are needed, then I'm glad we agree there, but feel your post wasn't necessary since nobody was claiming top defenses these days are pitching shutouts left and right. We all know the good defenses still give up points here and there. Our problem was we practically gave up points against anyone with a pulse.

We are either the 50th team or outside of the top 50 in yards/play given up and pts/game allowed and we didnt exactly play a murderer's row of a schedule.

Advertisement
I read your post. Nobody is asking for the defense to give up 6 pts/game like it is 1998. We're all disappointed that the defense is bad against even average offenses. Our defense shouldn't ever be outside of the top 50 given our cupcake schedule and talent advantage we have nearly every week.

If you're admitting the defense stinks and changes are needed, then I'm glad we agree there, but feel your post wasn't necessary since nobody was claiming top defenses these days are pitching shutouts left and right. We all know the good defenses still give up points here and there. Our problem was we practically gave up points against anyone with a pulse.

We are either the 50th team or outside of the top 50 in yards/play given up and pts/game allowed and we didnt exactly play a murderer's row of a schedule.
Yes, again you are talking about this year in regards to the 50ish rankings. I did agree this year they took a step back.

I’m referencing the narrative on this board that over Manny’s tenure we don’t perform well on defense against the good teams. My point is basically every defense in modern college football struggles against the best teams they play.

We played #4, #10, #28, #32, #40, #42 offenses this year, so not exactly as light as you suggest.

Good coaches have figured out Manny’s defense so it does need an overhaul. His D works well when his DL can create havoc and the unit can tee off and create turnovers. Manny relies too solely on his DL. Problem is, when we face teams with an OL that can at least sustain our rush, then our intermediate and third levels get exposed massively.

And our Pass Defense is atrocious. Need much better athleticism and better coaching. Can’t beat the good teams with the guys we trot out there in our back 7.

Change the whole thing.

when a defense gets embarrassed and gives up over 500 yards rushing and over 60 points, a "system" hasn't got
a dang thing to do with it. then they limp into a bowl game and give up over 30 points and look bad again.

its plain as **** to see when players have no motivation, pride, or any dawg in em ! THATS the problem !
Uh, NO!!! If what you were saying is true, then the defense would have given up another 60+ to OSU after geting down 21-0 in the 1st quarter. OSU would have scored a TD on wvery drive and that didn't happen.

There are schematic issues, bad technique, and **** poor tackling from bad technique and bad angles. All of which are coaching issues. What you saw in the UNC game is Baker unwilling to make adjustments. I would have played 8 in the box to stop the run if I had to. Schematically, the DEs needed to set an edge rather than rush up field creating a 2-way go for the UNC RBs which our LBs have no chance and that's exactly what happened.

If you set an edge, then the LBs can play inside out knowing the RB is going to be funneled inside so you stalk from the back hip and fill the gap for the tackle. Simple. It's what most teams do and ALL unathletic defenses do. Our starting LBs are unathletic which is why you saw them just guessing where the RB would be so that they could make a play except the UNC RBs would just cut back to a gaping hole or bounce it outside where the DEs had vacated since they rushed upfield just like when a QB escapes the pocket when the DEs get out of their rush lanes. The same thing happened over and over on UNC running plays. This is a defensive philosophy that killed us because we failed to adjust.

There is NOT an effort problem as the team clearly fought back against OSU to make the game close.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Spot on. We can worry about getting some young hot-shot DC in a couple of years once the defense is loaded with top recruits who play good fundamental football. Right now the defense needs an adult in the room who has been there before at the P5 level. You know why fans can point to some bad games by Don Brown and Charlie Strong and any number of "old guy" DCs? Because they have been coaching for eons. Every coach that's been around for decades is going to have a bunch of duds. Yes even coaching legends like Bud Foster and Brett Venables had many bad performances. Fans get hot and bothered for a DC with 2-3 years of success against almost exclusively G5 teams and say "that's the guy" because he's had the good fortune of not having faced the same level of competition that a DC who has been coaching at the P5 level for a decade or more. Just say no to G5 DCs.

I’ve argued with you about Brown but at this point I just want someone isn’t Manny’s boy, has experience, and will not continually pat guys on the back for ****** play.

I’m down for Brown, Muschamp, Mason, Strong, or even Pelini

Last edited:
We are not improving dramatically in the future unless the University administration makes a concerted effort to make drastic changes to rebuild our football program and the key word is program. You do not make strides with gimmicks, chains and a staff full of dudes with false bravado especially the HC. Look at Alabama, the have analysts on staff that are better than coordinators at UM. Their AD moves the needle in one of college football’s elite conferences, our guy got a promo from selling tickets. Now we will make a few portal signings and most here will be thrilled when in fact the portal signings are filling gaps from poor recruiting. It doesn’t hurt to get a guy or 2, but the elite build from the ground up and construct their programs accordingly. It’s a well oiled machine from the administration to the AD to football ops working with the HC and his staff to develop ultra successful college football programs. We had an opportunity to at least give it a go, we punted on fourth and 1.to answer your question we’re going nowhere until we commit to drastic changes. 15 years of failure doesn’t lie. We are not close, don’t buy into Manny and Blake’s circus
i agree with your general point, especially the lack of genuine commitment to winning from the BOT. it is crystal clear to me.

however, we never won before by matching other programs' systems/traits/capacity because of the unique nature of the university. we were always outliers and that's what made Miami so unique. Today, we will never match programs like Alabama and Georgia but we can play with them if and only if we had greater commitment from the BOT.

great read

Vishnu is a smart guy.

" And, more importantly, at no point was hiring the overall best coach for the job the primary concern ( EMPHASIS ADDED!!!! ). It was always finding the guy they wanted to hire for political, financial, or stability reasons, and then reverse engineering the logic from there, hoping the football would work out. " fivereasonssports.com

And that Cane dudes is the rub. huh?

Nevertheless, all of these HC's since Mr. Onion Head's tenure were good enough for a NINE win regular season. But crapped out in bowl games. Ouch. And as the vast majority of Cane dudes know. The proverbial nefarious powerw that be are " satisfied"- EMPHASIS ADDED- with eight or nine regular season wins. And said university power brokers DON'T GIVE an F' if the Canes lose a particular bowl game. huh? Because they know the football program is still going to receive their pot of the bowl game payout.

Advertisement
Back