Where do we go from here?

Best ST unit in the country. Best QB we've had since Dorsey and we still lost 3 games. Manny ain't the guy and if he doesn't send his entire staff to the moon he most definitely isnt the guy.
I think the poor special teams this year were masked by the fact you have a great punter and kicker.
our punt return unit was bad and our KOR was bad, kickoff coverage was average when it wasn’t a touchback.

Remeber after a whole year they still didn’t figure out who would punt return, still to this day!

Advertisement
They’d have been 2-10 without the defense. 2-11 if 2 win teams got bowl invites.
6 wins and a savage beating at the hands of FIU where they ran over us in the 4th quarter and pulled away isn’t “carrying us” anywhere. The defense was better than the offense last year just like Amy Slaton is hotter than Tammy Slaton.

The good news is we made modest improvements. We went from below-average to fringe Top 25, and we did so without earning Manny an undeserved extension. The second part is key.

The bad news is that, once we fixed the offense and kicking game, our defense collapsed. This program can’t get all three rolling at the same time. Ranked teams exposed us.

The worst news is that D’Eriq King—who has done everything right and overcome so much—has to deal with an extended rehab. It sucks.

Now we enter what promises to be an insane offseason. The onetime transfer rule will change everything. I also expect significant defensive staff changes. Since Manny isn’t going anywhere this year, what does Miami need to do over the next eight months to move forward?

- Manny’s first order of business is honestly evaluating the defense. The numbers don’t lie. Manny inherited a defense that was 92nd in yards per play. They jumped to 16th his first year, followed by three Top 10 finishes. This year, they finished 58th and got demolished by good teams. Did offenses catch up to Manny’s system? Did his bad evaluations at LB catch up to him? Did he hire the wrong DC? Whatever happened, it falls on Manny.

With that said, I’d be hesitant to make revolutionary changes. Manny’s core principles (one-gap, simple enough to play fast) had us playing the best defense we’ve played in 15 years. But we need fresh veteran eyes, preferably with experience in big-boy football. You can’t be surrounded exclusively by coaches you trained. Manny has a non-football background and came to prominence because of his defense. It's part of his identity. But he’s also a realist and a politician's son. Another year like that on defense gets him fired.

- The next issue is QB. If King is facing an 8-month rehab, it complicates things. Kosi has been a stand-up dude. He deserves an opportunity to lead his own team. I would be honest and tell him that King will start whenever he comes back. That likely leads to a transfer. TVD and Garcia would then battle it out and possibly start the four non-conference games. Realistic scenario, you enter ACC play 3-1 with a healthy King and better clarity about your QB of the future.

- Miami used to be the gold standard at WR. Now the position is more important than ever, and we stink. This message board did a better job evaluating Elijah Moore, a first-team All American, than our coaches did. We can’t make the same mistakes evaluating our own team. We are past the point of rebuilding confidence. Wiggins and Pope aren’t it. It’s time for ruthless competition, including Romello Brinson and Jacolby George.

- Don’t be shy in the Portal. Yes, you need to build the foundation through recruiting. There is already a Top 10 class in the can. But the onetime transfer rule will create a feeding frenzy, and Miami has enough of a track record to pursue the best of the best. This year showed we aren’t fast enough or physical enough on defense. Forget scheme- who was our tone-setter? Any difference-makers in the Portal should get our full attention.

- The word is out about DE DeAndre Johnson from Tennessee. He already has Day 3 draft grades from scouts and is strong against the run and pass. He will help with some of our edge-setting issues. The next target is a CB with size and speed. There are no shortcuts at that position: we’ve complained about big and slow CBs, but we saw a smaller CB in Couch get bullied against Okie State. If the name I’ve heard comes to fruition, we will be happy. We also need a new coach recruiting the position.

- Wish some players well in future endeavors. Age is good, but there needs to be a standard of athleticism on defense. I don't need to name names, but we know who is lacking. Recruits like James Williams and Leonard Taylor start as freshmen at Clemson and Alabama. They shouldn't need to wait here.

- Evaluate the evaluators. People are complaining about South Florida players, but 7 of them made All-American teams. We didn't recruit 6 of them: Elijah Moore, Nik Bonitto, James Wiggins, Tiawun Mullen, Rashad Weaver and Jose Borregales (out of HS). Manny needs to figure out why we missed on those guys and what lessons we can learn.

Overall, we need to move past 2019. That nightmare season has been erased by this year's modest improvements. Don't treat the '21 team like an abused puppy. Raise expectations, trust your recruiting and don't hesitate to bench anybody that can't help us beat Clemson. If they're unhappy, they can leave.

This program has been irrelevant for more than a decade, and we're getting old. It's not enough to improve on a team that lost to FIU. Next year is make-or-break. Get well D'Eriq King and Go Canes.
I thought we actually signed Wiggins and then kicked him off the team.

I disagree on the part about not making whole sale changes to the defense. Manny’s system is trash from top to bottom imo. The wreckless undisciplined way he teaches our dline to attack gets exposed against any team with a pulse. CB philosophy is trash, safeties and linebackers don’t play to whatever their strengths are... I want to see a completely different defensive scheme next season.

I think they adapt but not soon enough.
dynasties GIF by BBC Earth
the best part is in 30 seconds when that 20 foot croc grabbed that little ******* like a fat chick grabbing a donut !

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is an interesting study from ESPN. In the period they studied, Miami actually had the highest percentage of Top 300 recruits who made the NFL. Miami also had the lowest amount of transfers. Where they struggled was All-Americans (which can be partly attributed to bad coaching) and first round, impact-type talent.

When Alonzo Highsmith was with the Cleveland front office, he said that Miami had good overall talent but was so deficient at QB that it didn't really matter.

Raise $2MM and buy consecutive top 5 classes. Manny goes the way of Dabo or Zook. Either way, problem solved. We have ****** players. That’s 90% of the problem. And it will likely never be solved in this era of pay-for-commitment, at least not to the extent Miami returns to the top of college football.
We consistently lose to teams with worse talent than us by every metric. We have an unbalanced roster in some places (LB, CB, WR) but there is plenty of talent to beat Ok State, UNC, La Tech, and FIU. The coaches need to do better in recruiting those spots, but they need to do better at developing and game planning. Plenty of teams do more with less.

Advertisement
We consistently lose to teams with worse talent than us by every metric. We have an unbalanced roster in some places (LB, CB, WR) but there is plenty of talent to beat Ok State, UNC, La Tech, and FIU. The coaches need to do better in recruiting those spots, but they need to do better at developing and game planning. Plenty of teams do more with less.
Coker, Randy, Golden, Richt, and now Manny can’t balance a roster. Why is it so ******* hard. Any ******* coach would address it in year. Manny hasn’t recruited corners and LBS in 6 ******* years!!

I don’t think he makes it to year 4.

I saw the cracks early and expressed that the D would eventually collapse under Manny. Made many posts about it. Manny is a day late and a dollar short on every decision.

This is an interesting study from ESPN. In the period they studied, Miami actually had the highest percentage of Top 300 recruits who made the NFL. Miami also had the lowest amount of transfers. Where they struggled was All-Americans (which can be partly attributed to bad coaching) and first round, impact-type talent.

I saw this thread and something didn’t make sense. The pct% of ESPN 300 players recruited vs. drafted didn’t make sense. That’s not true, unless we’re counting attrition. If we’re counting attrition, then this pct is not impressive, D.

2015 class:
6 ESPN 300 (St Louis, Walton, Norton, Milo, Jaquan, Charles Perry)
-Walton, Norton, JJ were drafted. St Louis was a UDFA

2016 class:
10 ESPN 300 (Allison, Mullins, Bruce, Quarterman, MCCLOUD, Bethel, Homer, Finley, Richards, Joe Jackson)
-Shaq, Homer, and Jackson were drafted.

2017 class:
8 ESPN 300 (J. Thomas, N. Perry, Donaldson, Herbert, Burns, Dallas, Bandy, Garvin)
-Deejay & Garvin were drafted

So it’s actually 8 guys who were drafted out of a possible 24 ESPN 300 players we’ve recruited during this time (33.3%). If we remove Perry, Donaldson, Herbert, & Burns (b/c they are still on roster), and remove Perry, Allison, Mullins, Bruce (due to attrition), that would put us at only 16 draft-able ESPN 300 players w/in that time frame.

So our “pool” is much smaller; therefore, the pct is deceivingly high, IF we take attrition into consideration. Also, when we look at it from a draft standpoint, none of our guys were drafted before the 4th round. That’s alarming!

Now, if we compare that to Bama who had 58 ESPN 300 during this span, UGA (47), LSU (44), USC (43), OSU (41), FSU (40), Auburn (27), UTK (26), & OU (20), not only have these teams not had the attrition as us, but they’ve had a bigger quantity of ESPN 300 players, & more 1st - 2nd round picks than us during time.

These pct will also increase for majority of these programs b/c there are many members from the class of ‘17 that will be drafted. There is not any remaining from our class of ‘17 that have a shot of being drafted.

So I’m not sure we should necessarily use that graphic as a means or guideline regarding player development here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coker, Randy, Golden, Richt, and now Manny can’t balance a roster. Why is it so ******* hard. Any ******* coach would address it in year. Manny hasn’t recruited corners and LBS in 6 ******* years!!

I don’t think he makes it to year 4.

I saw the cracks early and expressed that the D would eventually collapse under Manny. Made many posts about it. Manny is a day late and a dollar short on every decision.
I said it elsewhere but this program does a remarkable job of making everything harder than it needs to be. Balancing a roster to have enough guys at all positions should not be that difficult, and yet, we have not been able to do so in 15 years. You’re in South Florida. Just use a modicum of common sense and diligence and you will have enough numbers and talent at CB.

great read
Sad but tru... have always liked reading stuff from Vishnu. He always tells it like it is. And right now we aren’t in a good position as a program. Manure is gonna hafta make some big time changes on the D side and let the new coordinator and staff have full control. Hopefully he realizes this and some other obvious changes and makes the necessary moves

The problem is we have a bunch of FAHGOTs trying to coddle these divas and playing some favoritism bull**** and we've recruited horribly on the D since Manny has been here and now its showing. 44 and 53 are wastes of space. Our safetys play like pvssies, no speed or playmaking at CB. LBers are embarrassing and our Dline looks like it'll regress again next year. On O Lashlee is alright but nothing revolutionary, Inside zone merchant. TE is the only thing up to Miami standards. The BOT are a bunch of FAHGs and Blake James is for sure a Dyke in disguise. I hate this program

Advertisement
Back