Where do we go from here?

If the entire defensive system isn't overhauled, and guys like Rumph quickly replaced.....then you can already go ahead and pencil in another 3-4 loss season with no resistance against the better teams on the schedule.

It will also mean Manny will have made his own grave, jumped into it feet first, and allowed his friends to shovel in the dirt neck high. This goes beyond just changing the defensive coaching staff, the SYSTEM he runs is garbage and gets shredded against better teams.

For all of his belief in analytics, it will be interesting to see how he self evaluates after this season. He INSISTS on blitzing aggressively and but then thinks its a good idea to play off coverage in the secondary. Brilliant stuff.

Oh and by the way, Blake James is author of this masterpiece and is still the biggest piece of $@#^ to ever be employed by the University of Miami. If and when Manny finally gets fired, it will be just as important that the school FINALLY realize a change in leadership is also needed. Otherwise, the moron will just hand pick ANOTHER horrible coaching hire.

Advertisement

great read

It feels like I read what I & many others have posted here. It’s refreshing to read something like this, after arguing w the “pro-Manny” crowd on here, to see u’re not crazy. Glad the “8-1, bro” crowd were exposed in this article as well.

Like I said, will this season be 2013, 2017, or something special. Right now. It feels like the former & not the latter. Will Manny pull a Butch, and do what’s necessary, or does he feel comfortable enough from this admin to maintain status quo? It’s unfathomable to think my beloved Canes have gone also 20 yrs losing, AT LEAST, 3 games. Smh

I feel we have enough "Jmmies and Joes" on defense. My issue is with arrogant coaches like Golden, Enos and now Manny.If their way doesn't work they dont have an alternative. Yet Saban a lifelong 3-4 guy and coaching gawd tweaks his defense. Egos are usually the demise of BAD coaches.

Advertisement
I feel we have enough "Jmmies and Joes" on defense. My issue is with arrogant coaches like Golden, Enos and now Manny.If their way doesn't work they dont have an alternative. Yet Saban a lifelong 3-4 guy and coaching gawd tweaks his defense. Egos are usually the demise of BAD coaches.
Really?! List em..

Saban’s defense has been getting torched by competent offenses for years.

Most defenses have issues with competent offenses now.

It’s not a manny thing, not a Miami thing.
This year the defense took a step back with personnel losses no doubt.

LSU cruised to a NC last year with like the 33rd ranked defense.

It’s not 1998 anymore.

Advertisement
Nice summary.

I'd only add, merely for the record, that I'm out on this version of the defense. I'm unclear as to what you mean by "revolutionary" changes, but I think we need something closer to significant changes than "tinkering." At various points, I've been a Manny supporter (a change to a more upfield scheme simply made sense to me) or, on the other hand, someone who's called out different things (hype over substance, for example). At a more granular level, I was hopeful Manny could evolve his defensive approach from Year 1 and 2 here. It was an improvement over a completely nonsensical college football approach from D'Onofrio.

But, I waited for more evolution. Less madness. More trust on well-evaluated defensive players. As I've said elsewhere, the data is in. It's not good enough. This defense is too frail to get us to where we want to go - even if that's merely the ACC Championship consistently. We can beat up on X, Y, but *under its current form* will fall apart against Z. For various reasons.

So, while tons of news comes in during what's likely to be the most insane college football offseason in forever, I'll wait for data points that our defensive approach will be different and more sound.
Amen. You know I’m with you.

Let’s stop pushing the narrative that this season was an improvement. Oh 8 is greater than 6, we improved! Give me a break.

Where do we go from here? Hope Manny gets canned next year. When he’s gone, so is BJ.

Last edited:
Positives: we didn’t lose to FIU and get shut out in a bowl game against LA Tech

Negatives: we still suck and get smoked by any team with a pulse, need comebacks in the 4th quarter to beat below average teams, and look unprepared any time we have an extended time off and should be more prepared

Advertisement
If the entire defensive system isn't overhauled, and guys like Rumph quickly replaced.....then you can already go ahead and pencil in another 3-4 loss season with no resistance against the better teams on the schedule.

It will also mean Manny will have made his own grave, jumped into it feet first, and allowed his friends to shovel in the dirt neck high. This goes beyond just changing the defensive coaching staff, the SYSTEM he runs is garbage and gets shredded against better teams.

For all of his belief in analytics, it will be interesting to see how he self evaluates after this season. He INSISTS on blitzing aggressively and but then thinks its a good idea to play off coverage in the secondary. Brilliant stuff.

Oh and by the way, Blake James is author of this masterpiece and is still the biggest piece of $@#^ to ever be employed by the University of Miami. If and when Manny finally gets fired, it will be just as important that the school FINALLY realize a change in leadership is also needed. Otherwise, the moron will just hand pick ANOTHER horrible coaching hire.

But, but, but, THE DELAYED BLITZ FROM 20 YARDZ AWAY, BRO!

Advertisement
Defense worries me but I believe he COULD get it back to how it used to be. Our receivers are a huge issue on the other hand. There's something off that I cant put my finger on. Wiggins and Pope look so unnatural with, and without, the ball in their hands. Wiggins is rail thin and has never played to his 6'3 stature while Pope is a shell of his HS self. The OKSt FR receiver, who didn't even catch a pass this season, looked like a seasoned vet compared to them. I understand there may be some politics in regards to them starting, it's just odd that these guys were highly-touted yet look and play like the worst receivers in the school's history.

There are a few issues I believe are going on with Pope and Wiggins. The biggest is it doesn’t appear they are working hard enough in the weight room. Their bodies have changed very little and they both “look” weak. There are guys their weight that look and play much stronger, skinny but sinewy and cut. Pope and Wiggins look soft.

Another issue that hasn’t gotten much attention is the soft way we play defense probably makes them look way better in practice than they are on game day. The passive zone we run so much makes our fbs not very good at physical coverage even on the rare occasions we try it. The corners don’t practice it enough and it gives 6 and 8 much more room to look like the best options on green tree. When they face corners who practice more aggressively, they are completely unprepared. Teams played off coverage on them in high school due too their speed. They haven’t adjusted to the increase in physicality.

Pope has lost confidence, is wild and tentative. He is pressing because he wants to live up to his ranking, but doesn’t have the strength to back it up. He looks great on the practice field in drills, but my eyes tell me he isn’t as dedicated to pushing weights.

Wiggins is just sad. He really is a physical football player when not running a route. HAlf his high school highlight tape is him making DEVASTATING blocks on defenders . He drove his man out of the field on Harley’s screen pass touchdown. But when he runs a route, he has no balance or upper body strength.

They are almost always hanging on by the skin of their teeth when the ball is in the air and it leads to unnecessary drops. Hate to see the wasted potential and I was expecting much more from them this year. They have had the opportunity and it hasn’t worked out. It’s time to move on.

He was ours. His mom, an alum, wanted him here & we tricked that off. Then the narrative was, he’s a tweener.

So f evaluation for a moment; b/c clearly that’s been tricked off....I have a question for every single member on this board, including @LuCane & @DMoney

How is it that we, The University of Miami, consistently get top 15 classes, which is in the top 12 percentile in the nation out of 130 schools, yet we continuously have “misses?” How is it so common that our “blue chips” look like potato chips, yet the guys we “miss on” at the other programs become AA (not all of them, of course....but a good amount.)

247 can’t be wrong about all of our blue chips & right about every other teams blue chips. For 10+ years??
C O A C H I N ****** G

Edit:

C O R C H I N ****** G

Saban’s defense has been getting torched by competent offenses for years.

Most defenses have issues with competent offenses now.

It’s not a manny thing, not a Miami thing.
This year the defense took a step back with personnel losses no doubt.

LSU cruised to a NC last year with like the 33rd ranked defense.

It’s not 1998 anymore.
And our defense this year was still poor relative to what defense is these days. What exactly was your point? This isn't some top 20 defense the fans are exaggerating about because we saw the 2000s teams. This defense was garbage relative to the rest of defenses in 2020.

Advertisement
Back