Where do we go from here?

Agreed.

People like to oversimplify and yell about "talent", particularly when another team took a guy that we didn't, and then that guy excels.

But when we gave up over 500 yards of rushing to North Carolina, it was with a defensive line that might have as many as 3 first rounders out of the 4 spots. And when NO Defensive Back lined up against the OK State WR on third down, that wasn't a "talent" issue as much as a poor coaching and/or poor prep situation.

We may not yet have the "talent" to beat Clemson, but we sure as **** have the talent to beat North Carolina and Oklahoma State.

Talent allowed us to win games we normally would have lost (VaTech, U of L and Pitt). We were outcoached in those games in my opinion. We just had enough big plays to win.

Advertisement
He was ours. His mom, an alum, wanted him here & we tricked that off. Then the narrative was, he’s a tweener.

So f evaluation for a moment; b/c clearly that’s been tricked off....I have a question for every single member on this board, including @LuCane & @DMoney

How is it that we, The University of Miami, consistently get top 15 classes, which is in the top 12 percentile in the nation out of 130 schools, yet we continuously have “misses?” How is it so common that our “blue chips” look like potato chips, yet the guys we “miss on” at the other programs become AA (not all of them, of course....but a good amount.)

247 can’t be wrong about all of our blue chips & right about every other teams blue chips. For 10+ years??
At this point this type of post is rhetorical. We don’t have the talent to beat the elites but **** no way to spin other than we under achieve with the talent we are blessed with.

Portal up and promise a shot at Bama. You want to make a name for yourself? You want to be the best? Here's your shot.

As for my expectations from the Canes? 7 wins until proven otherwise. I no longer expect a division title. That's what we do and have done. Anything above 7 is a pleasant surprise. We don't hire coaches that consistently win, unless they are about to retire.

This

Where do we go from here?

steve2.gif

"- Evaluate the evaluators. People are complaining about South Florida players, but 7 of them made All-American teams. We didn't recruit 6 of them: Elijah Moore, Nik Bonitto, James Wiggins, Tiawun Mullen, Rashad Weaver and Jose Borregales (out of HS). Manny needs to figure out why we missed on those guys and what lessons we can learn."

This is the part that always gets me.

It's one thing to lose out to Bama and Clemson and Ohio State on local blue-chippers. That's about the program not being where we want it to be.
It's another thing completely when we make numerous evaluation mistakes on the other local kids. That's about the evaluators not being who they need to be.

You're local. You should be able to see more of these kids, learn more about them from those around them and have a better handle on who and what they can be than some coaches hundreds of miles away who are most looking at Hudl highlights and/or 247 rankings.

The latter is much worse to me.
I think that those players here and ours at those programs and they are not developed here. It’s coaching man!!! We have good coaches on offense but everywhere else a bunch of rookies!

Advertisement
Those would be two spots where we need fresh eyes, IMO.
special teams coverage units have been atrocious since golden left... we constantly are undisciplined on specials and barely have many starters on those units... to climb back up we need to drastically improve in this area.. not sure how patke deserves to be at a program like miami.. do u see him being asked to leave or him going with panda express?

The real question is does mindy make the changes needed to take the program to the next level and it starts with himself. Is he gonna take game planning serious in 2021? Is he going to promote player accountability? You don't have to be a member of the team to see that pope Mallory etc *** off in the weight room etc.

Time will tell if this dude is serious about making Miami national power or if he becomes the latest HC failure at Miami. Attention to detail and coaching changes are needed (baker and rumph) if this dude is serious.

BTW, Harley, wiggins and pope are the worst wr trio in modern Miami history. Miami still won 8 games with those clowns so that's actually a positive.

Advertisement
DMoney as a former Coach who never posts its great to see a logical look at the program moving forward..I for one don't want Manny going anywhere. But your right he needs to self evaluate and tweak his defense.This was not a good year for the D but Im not willing to throw out what he's accomplished with the defense since his arrival..I know one thing about Manny he will work his *** off and overturn every stone to improve this roster..
You guys act like Manure took a program that’s never played defense and revolutionized it. This program, with the exception of a couple clips under horrific DCs, has played better defense over the last 35 years than Manure has fielded.

Nothing. Not one thing. Nada on Blake James and the BOTs.

Next year is make-or-break.

For who Manny? I guess some of us have actual standards.

1. Manny worked for a loser under a failed regime.
2. Manny was a loser before he was hired.
3. Manny was hired by a loser.
4. Manny has been a loser since he was hired.

Next year is "make-or-break"?

For Manny. He doesn't need more time.

For Blake James. He can have 1000 more years...it doesn’t matter. He ***ing sucks.

Perhaps your focus should be on the real and material issues. Firing Blake James and bringing in a competent AD with passion and autonomy.

Last edited:
Respectfully, same ****, different year. Nothing has really changed. One step forward, two steps back. The system is broken at the BOT level.

This is all @DMoney's post should be about. The only real and material issue is that our AD and BOTs are atrocious. They fail every year. They do nothing but fail.

It is way past the point to fire Blake James and bring in a competent AD with passion and autonomy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Not sure exactly where the **** everything went wrong with the defense but this year it was a pretty big failure. Which is weird because from 2016-2019 they played to or better than their talent level. They weren’t an incredible juggernaut but they were consistently good. Especially since they weren’t trotting out a bunch of early draft picks. Was the linebacker play such a huge drop-off that it ranked the whole defensive unit? I mean that was the only major change personnel wise from 2019-2020. The 2019 unit had some flaws but they consistently carried the entire team. I think one opponent went over 400 yards against them. This year, with most of the same guys, half the schedule went over 400 and they gave up points by the bucketful. What exactly were we doing in 2019 that we weren’t doing in 2020?
The 2019 D carried the team? To where?

Advertisement
Back