Where are all the great MNW and BTW Canes?

Advertisement
Let me make my last statement on this to all the Ice fan boys:

There is no pipeline. There never WAS a pipeline. There is no feeder school. There is no pipeline. There never WAS a pipeline.

LOL "by all acounts Gio wasn't going to come here"......Dude did you not just experience the last week in which it's become obvious that Randy and certain schools were in bed with each other? We did not go after Gio b/c we chose Clements instead. It was an epic fail, like most of what Randy did, and was most likely the result of Tim Ice Harris.

Again, Ill take the 2001 team over the Coker and Randy all Dade teams ANY TIME.

The funny thing about this post is that I think Coker and Shannon did a **** poor job of recruiting Dade. Coker recruited off rivals list. We missed the top kid at the position and just moved down the list to next. He brought in plenty of overrated OOS talent that he also failed to developed. Just like Shannon. Until we start developing kids, no matter what school, county or state that they come from we will continue to struggled. If Golden starts to show he can develop his players here, I don't care where he gets them from.

GoldenShowers administering golden showers to his critics. Quality stuff, son. You have made your point and done a good job spitting fire and facts.

Advertisement
LOL "by all acounts Gio wasn't going to come here"......Dude did you not just experience the last week in which it's become obvious that Randy and certain schools were in bed with each other? We did not go after Gio b/c we chose Clements instead. It was an epic fail, like most of what Randy did, and was most likely the result of Tim Ice Harris.

Again, Ill take the 2001 team over the Coker and Randy all Dade teams ANY TIME.

The funny thing about this post is that I think Coker and Shannon did a **** poor job of recruiting Dade. Coker recruited off rivals list. We missed the top kid at the position and just moved down the list to next. He brought in plenty of overrated OOS talent that he also failed to developed. Just like Shannon. Until we start developing kids, no matter what school, county or state that they come from we will continue to struggled. If Golden starts to show he can develop his players here, I don't care where he gets them from.

Most people feel that way. Outside of the 08 class we passed up tons of Dade guys he shouldn't have. There were pockets of dade Randy refused to recruit for whatever reason, notably Central.

I still like the '88 team better, but the '01 team was awesome. Carry on.

Just out of curiosity, let's take a look at the starting lineup for the best team the U ever produced ('01):

QB: Dorsey (Cal)
RB: Portis (G-ville);
FB: Davenport (Dade)
WR: A. Johnson (Dade); K. Beard (Dade); E. Sands (Dade)
TE: Shockey (Ok)
OL: McKinnie (PA); Romberg (Canada); Sherko (Canada); Gonzalez (Dade); Bibla (PA)

DE: McDougle (Broward); A. Williams (Tampa)
DT: W. Joseph (Dade); M. Walters (Melbourne)
LB: Vilma (Dade); DJ (Cal); Cambell (Tex)
C: Buchanon (Cape Coral); Rumph (Broward)
S: Reed (LA); Lewis (I can't remember)

7/22 from Dade. Less than 1/2 from S. Florida. Interesting to note. Not sure what it means other than it's not imperative that we fill each class with 75% S. Florida kids.

Ok guys just cuz we had a scuffle with BTW and had a load of head cases/jags from MNW doesn't mean we should just abandon them, they still put out a lot of talent...I bet Al would have made that group of northwestern kids all NFL caliber players, i mean look at what he did with jacory, minus BC game of course, tommy, and ben jones(sucks that he got hurt) when they were either garbage or had done nothing, it was just too late for the, when he got here and they were stuck with a coach who didn't know what he was doing for 3 years...now to BTW, Brandon Harris was a second rounder, Eduardo Clements is actually talented, he's just gotten stuck behind Lamar miller, storm Johnson, Damien berry, graig cooper, mike James and now the Duke...and Davom Johnson...I bet that kid would have been a first rounder if golden had him from day one, in fact I bet golden would've made them all champs, but again, shammin was incapable of developing talent

People are blowing this way out of proportion. For whatecer reason, Thomas was not coming to Miami. It hurts, but tbat happens. I think we were close on Bostwick. Everyone has heard how much Muschamp likes negative recruiting, and it got to him.

OT, cane fans know their history. Most of these people talking trash are those same people who only show up when we play fsu, uf, etc. We'll shut them up this season. If we stay healthy (especially at rb and qb) we have 10+ wins in our sights

Advertisement
Just out of curiosity, let's take a look at the starting lineup for the best team the U ever produced ('01):

QB: Dorsey (Cal)
RB: Portis (G-ville);
FB: Davenport (Dade)
WR: A. Johnson (Dade); K. Beard (Dade); E. Sands (Dade)
TE: Shockey (Ok)
OL: McKinnie (PA); Romberg (Canada); Sherko (Canada); Gonzalez (Dade); Bibla (PA)

DE: McDougle (Broward); A. Williams (Tampa)
DT: W. Joseph (Dade); M. Walters (Melbourne)
LB: Vilma (Dade); DJ (Cal); Cambell (Tex)
C: Buchanon (Cape Coral); Rumph (Broward)
S: Reed (LA); Lewis (I can't remember)

7/22 from Dade. Less than 1/2 from S. Florida. Interesting to note. Not sure what it means other than it's not imperative that we fill each class with 75% S. Florida kids.

McKinnie and Lewis were from Jersey.....Bilba was born and raised in Jersey, but graduated hs from Pa......Canes use to pick up one or two decent Jersey recruits a year. Another part of the old formula....Jersey's got ballers (witness Don Bosco Prep which knocked off Manatee and STAC the last two years and both in Fla.)......Golden's a Jersey guy and I hope will start recruitkng here.......Baby Jesus is a good start (although he's a legacy).

One more step in becoming Grassy football boards. The transformation is almost complete.

So the whole display showing how the starting 2001 team, the greatest in Canes history, was 50-50 South Florida kids didn't get through to you?

Or was it the part where we proved MNW and BTW are not and have never been "pipeline" schools.

Which part do you find so outlandish, and please present your facts instead of just being an Ice Harris type sour that your hood isn't all that dude.

You do know that there is actually more than just the 2001 season right? That may be when you became a fan, but there more history than that one season. Anyone who says you should pass up on a player like Sean Spence should be slapped upside their head.

Advertisement
You do know that there is actually more than just the 2001 season right? That may be when you became a fan, but there more history than that one season. Anyone who says you should pass up on a player like Sean Spence should be slapped upside their head.

Who said you should pass on Sean Spence? Who said you should pass on anyone? All I said was in 30 years MNW and BTW have given us less than a handful of elite players, but dudes tout them like they are our feeder schools which is completely and utterly untrue. They are two of scores of schools that all should be recruited, but not given preferential treatment like what Randy did.

Yes, there were other teams besides 2001, but the 2001 team was better than all of them. And that team won, at the University of Miami, without some mythical 80-20 ratio of Miami Dade to every where else. They won with a 50-50 split! Yet fools come on here and ***** that our team is 60-40 right now when the last great team we had was a LOWER RATIO. Thats what this is about.

You don't need more than 50 percent of your starters to be from South Florida to win a title at Miami. It's indisputable. We did it in 2001. You can't argue this. The team featured a ton of OOS and those guys along with the Florida guys got rings. You know why? Bc they were great football players and great football players aren't restricted to those coached by Tim ******* Harris.

Last edited:
Showers, unfortunately, when you don't fall at the feet of and deify every S. FL HS you are viewed as a heretic by some of the 305 crew. This is true even when you present them with facts and make rational arguments limited to specific isolated issues (i.e., that MNW and BTW aren't these incredible feeder pipelines that have made UM what it is) like you did. There are really no logical replies to your factual breakdown. Instead, what you will hear is collateral attacks and personal insults.

No rational person will ever claim that UM should abandon S. FL or that there's not a vast amount of talent down here. The point is that a couple particular schools are being overhyped in relation to what they've actually delivered to UM.

P.S. What percentage of Alabama's roster over the past 4 years is from S. FL? There are players EVERYWHERE these days.

Who said you should pass on Sean Spence? Who said you should pass on anyone? All I said was in 30 years MNW and BTW have given us less than a handful of elite players, but dudes tout them like they are our feeder schools which is completely and utterly untrue. They are two of scores of schools that all should be recruited, but not given preferential treatment like what Randy did.

Yes, there were other teams besides 2001, but the 2001 team was better than all of them. And that team won, at the University of Miami, without some mythical 80-20 ratio of Miami Dade to every where else. They won with a 50-50 split! Yet fools come on here and **** that our team is 60-40 right now when the last great team we had was a LOWER RATIO. Thats what this is about.

You don't need more than 50 percent of your starters to be from South Florida to win a title at Miami. It's indisputable. We did it in 2001. You can't argue this. The team featured a ton of OOS and those guys along with the Florida guys got rings. You know why? Bc they were great football players and great football players aren't restricted to those coached by Tim ****ing Harris.

The reason u are so dumb is you keep speaking of 30 yrs...when Booker T just started playing ball back in 2000.

-Randy wasnt the link to MNW.....Miami Northwestern IS the BIG SCHOOL in the County..ALL of our Coaches from Schnelly on up have been in there. Its the school year in year out will be LOADED down with prospects...likely the best in the county.

You think USC will stop going to Long Beach Poly..? Ohio St- Glenville...Bama-Hoover ??...It MAKES NO **** SENSE....

- It was the same reason fans like u chased away Teddy Bridgewater and claimed he was a bum...and all he did was look like a top 10 college qb last season.

S.FLA Is the homebase...and the most fertile recruiting ground in the nation...and yo dumb ***....want us to be less than a 50% split..? U sh*ttin me...i like good talent...i like recruiting outside of the homebase..but i know we need to lock down our homebase FIRST.

Advertisement
Lester Williams was the top DT in the country when he came out of Carol City. He was also an All-American at Miami. Craig Erickson was from WPB Cardinal Newman. He was part of the QB U group. Darrin Smith was out of Miami Norland. Nate Webster was out of Miami Northwestern. As a side note, Phillip Buchanon wasn't from Palm Beach; he played at Lehigh Acres in the Tampa/St. Pete area. Kenny Phillips was the top S in the country when he came out. Vernon Carey was the top OL in the country the year he came out of Northwestern. Leon Searcy is from Orlando Evans. Andre Johnson and Eddie Brown were out of Miami High. Brown was an All-American and a first round pick. Randall Hill was out of Killian. McGahee and Davenport were out of Central. Santana Moss out of Carol City. Alonzo Highsmith was out of Columbus. Lamar Miller was out of Killian. Gonzalez was out of Columbus. William Joseph was a first-round draft pick out of Edison. Barrow out of Homestead, Rolle out of South Dade, and so on. Duane Starks was a first rounder out of North Miami Beach.

Then there are all the big-time players from Dade who didn't even go to Miami. The data are there for those who wish to research such matters.

Seriously, look at the greatest players from our program.

NONE of the elite DTs, not ONE, was from the city of Miami.

None of the elite TE's were from Florida. TE U and not one great TE from the STATE of Florida!!!

None of the QBs, at QB U, was from Florida.

The best OL in school history, featured two NJ dudes, an Iranian, a Canadian, and a dude from Columbus High in Miami. Leon Sercy was from DC. Butch and Jimmy both went OOS consistently for OL. Coker and Randy took Miami kids at a way way higher right on OL. Howd that turn out?

LBs: Ray is from Lakeland. Armstead is from Texas. Barrow went to Homestead High. Vilma is from the Gables. Morgan was from Coral Springs via Pennsylvania. DJ Williams is from Cali. Beason is from Miramar.

Dre and Santana were both from Miami, neither went to those HSs. Reggie was from New Orleans. Irvin was from Ft. Lauderdale. Blades was from Lauderdale. Hester was from Palm Beach. Lamar Thomas is from Ocala.

Edge was from Immokalee. Portis from Gainesville. Gore went to CG High. McGahee went to Miami Central. Duke went to Norland. Melvin Bratton went to MNW

Ed Reed is from Louisiana. Sean Taylor went to Gulliver prep. Buchanon was from Palm beach. Blades was from Lauderdale. Rolle from Homestead.

The best player to come out of BTW or MNW was Marvin Jones, who went to effing FSU. These schools are NOT a big part of our history.

Look up Cokers later classes and Randy's classes. They were almost exclusively 305. That was NEVER THE FORMULA. Its about finding the speed guys locally, and filling in everything else from throughout the rest of florida and the entire country. Anyone who says differently is a ****ing shill.

Again out top target this year was Matt Thomas

Disagree completely. Olsen was the top target by far, followed by Dobard and AQM. Thomas is a stud, and I would've loved to have him in this class, but he was not our top target based on team needs. I would guess that Collins and Bostwick were higher on the list of targets, too.

85 men make a (scholarship) roster. There is more to a team than just stars. Those schools have produced for us, some prospects were better than others. S Florida is not the only component of the team, but no matter what anyone thinks, S Florida does comprise the foundation of the roster which is then filled in with the non-locals.

I love the canes and I don't care where we get our kids from, whether it be from MNW, BTW or even places like GOLEMAN, SUNSET, SW, or even MATER A. I want kids that fit our system, are tremendous athletes and want to be CANES! We can't blame Golden for not being able to close out one kid. I hope you guys heard that interview on WQAM with the coach from EDISON, and he said Golden recruits all the inner city schools....how many kids did we sign from EDISON, yea your right, NONE this year and he is still praising Golden for a great job.....so some one has their FACTS wrong. (LUKE)

Advertisement
Back