Where Alonzo Needs to Make a Difference

TC@ne

3rd party advocate. Anti-mope & anti-slurper.
in recruiting evaluations is what is between the ears of recruits.

Traits like mental toughness and being someone who embraces the suck of football are just as important as the measurables.

This is where mediocre ACC brands beat us, by getting three-stars with a couple redeeming physical traits, paired with football IQ and a real desire to beat the man in front of them.

Where this matters a lot is in the evaluations of the blue-chip prospects.

Will the 5-star safety you’re recruiting be willing to learn, or will he arrive on campus and think his **** don’t stink?

Poor evaluations have plagued this program for 20 years, and Mario and Zo need to not just recruit guys on the 247 list, but the RIGHT guys on the 247 list.

Advertisement
Let’s be honest, while that is important, he needs to get into Mario’s head on his hiring process, game day acumen and offensive philosophy and QUICKLY because they are all tied to success entering both the off-season and the final stages of recruiting

Let’s be honest, while that is important, he needs to get into Mario’s head on his hiring process, game day acumen and offensive philosophy and QUICKLY because they are all tied to success entering both the off-season and the final stages of recruiting
This is spot on, when you have a bad coordinator whether OC (Gattis) or DC (D'Onofrio) it will make the HC look incompetent when he stands by him and not fire him. Golden wouldn't fire D'Onofrio and it cost him his job. Mack Brown had enough sense to can Manny Diaz the next day after BYU ran for over 550 yards in defeating Texas in 2013. I won't blame Mario for hiring the 2021 Broyles Award winner but it has turned out to be a horrible move and he has to fix it by firing him now. Has the RPO ever worked here?

Advertisement
This season had been an unmitigated disaster. This isn't debatable at this point. The one glimmer of hope I have seen outside of recruiting & the money pumped into the program that has separated this current staff from the last few, at least at this early juncture, is the early indicator of improved evals. For those questioning this ask yourself who are the best players or those flashing the most right now ?

1. Kam- after taking early lumps has turned a corner in his development and playing well
2. LT- coach Joe hasn't done too much on the trail just yet but it lends to believe he's helped LT take a step forward and become more consistent.
3. Mesidor- our biggest portal add. Imagine the defense without him 😱
4. Rivers- some up and down play from him and recent injury doesn't help but he's the steadiness hand on our line right now.
5. Wesley B- MC likely waited too long to insert into the starting lineup but he looks like he belongs, need a few more like him.
6. Colbie- JC transfer and made an immediate impact, simply a good eval here.
7. Brashard- stepped up in Restepos absence, Gattis of course underutilizing him with restrepo back.
8. Cooper- 3 star kid from Bama who has been an impact freshman for us, great find.
9. Parrish- it sucks having lost Chaney/Citizen but he's played admirably behind an injured o line and trash offensive system.
10. Nyjalik- hasn't played a ton and needs to continue physical development but immediately stands out, thank God we were able to get this kid.

Those are 4 portal kids and 3 true freshman. 7/10 is a pretty good eval rate for impact and contribution. This 2023 class is beyond pivotal. If we can have a hit rate of roughly 2/3 of that class panning out + more from the portal we'll at least have a real foundation to build on. To tie this all together the right OC hire is pivotal. Can't afford to f*** that up, but evals and recruiting/portal provide us the path out of mediocrity if NC wakes up to modern offense.

Advertisement
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. The first person who can tell me Alonzo's exact job description and how he accomplishes that job,

will be the first person to do so
Love Alonzo but the only peep I’ve heard from him is when apparently told Mario that the Gulliver prep WR that went to LSU (can’t remember his name) was not a take because he was soft.

Advertisement
This is the only answer

Alonzo is another “tuff and fizzicull broo”. I don’t want him involved in making any decisions.
I’m sorry but this feels over the top.

Alonzo has been associated with successful NFL franchises. No way he forgot all of that or agreed to put it aside to be Mario’s minion.

We are all frustrated and disappointed with how this season has gone but let’s see how he works in the off-season. Clearly there is lots to clean up but it sounds like the insiders are saying he knows that many changes need to be made.

Advertisement
We had 98 yards of offense and we're talking about what's in between the kids' heads?
Exactly. I dont care whats between there ears when the coaches cant decide what to call til there 7 seconds left on the clock every play.

There’s nothing here I disagree with. My post was in reference to recruiting specifically.

I’m sorry but this feels over the top.

Alonzo has been associated with successful NFL franchises. No way he forgot all of that or agreed to put it aside to be Mario’s minion.

We are all frustrated and disappointed with how this season has gone but let’s see how he works in the off-season. Clearly there is lots to clean up but it sounds like the insiders are saying he knows that many changes need to be made.
Mario’s hiring process was flawed, kinda backward. He hired position coaches before coordinators — at least on O —and then put Alonzo over all of them. Must be some serious personality tensions and disagreements therein.

Seems Zo‘s job is running the football organization, but doubt he has any power over Mario. He’s not going to order coaches fired. Nor should he. You think there’s a disconnect now, what would happen if Zo started replacing coaches? Get over that thought now.

Mario would be wise to listen to Zo’a advice though.

Advertisement
Back