Off-Topic When you die . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Historical role in humanity." You mean like Jimmy Swaggart, Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker, the Reverend Ike and other buffoons who fleeced their gullible flocks for $$ they could ill afford to donate? Or, the millionaire (many times over) "pastors" of mega churches? Or, the glut of pedophile priests, preying on kids? Won't get into the many papal sins over the centuries, the snake-handling religions, speaking in tongues and all the other foolishness.

If you wanna further your deep thinking on the subject, watch Bill Maher's "Religulous." That's OK to watch, as Bill is now accepted by this country's conservatives as a convert to their orthodoxy.

Who sang, Let’s give them something to talk about?

Just walked it back. NM muppet haters;)

Advertisement
"Historical role in humanity." You mean like Jimmy Swaggart, Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker, the Reverend Ike and other buffoons who fleeced their gullible flocks for $$ they could ill afford to donate? Or, the millionaire (many times over) "pastors" of mega churches? Or, the glut of pedophile priests, preying on kids? Won't get into the many papal sins over the centuries, the snake-handling religions, speaking in tongues and all the other foolishness.

If you wanna further your deep thinking on the subject, watch Bill Maher's "Religulous." That's OK to watch, as Bill is now accepted by this country's conservatives as a convert to their orthodoxy.
Lol. No, he is not. Him separating from the likes of you doesnt make him a conservative, and it says more about you. He hasn't changed one bit.

How would you say America has been impacted?
That could be a book. Probably already is one. Actually, just the current times we live in, with the strong effect of the Christian Right, could be one, no less trying to cover the impact on the entire history of the country.

Was it Gohmert who said today, we'd be better off reinstating school prayer than trying to do anything about the unnecessary weaponry out there? I'm sure that's comforting to the parents in Uvalde.

Advertisement
As an agnostic, I'd take Swaggert, Tammy Faye, and western culture and democracy vs Mao, Lenin, Stalin or Pol Pot. Call me crazy for not liking bread lines and gulags I guess.

I get that. Kinda like Georgia. I’d like to see Abrams win governor. But I voted Kemp over Perdue bc Kemp again is better than Perdue.

Warm and fuzzy. Don’t you go getting me soft on you. You know that I know that I love it rough. Respectfully!

As an agnostic, I'd take Swaggert, Tammy Faye, and western culture and democracy vs Mao, Lenin, Stalin or Pol Pot. Call me crazy for not liking bread lines and gulags I guess.
I wouldn't take any of them. You're talking lesser of evils and I agree with you on who you'd take. Doesn't make Jimmy and the Bakkers (and about 50 more charlatan preachers whose names escape me) a credit to organized religion, by a long shot.

I get that. Kinda like Georgia. I’d like to see Abrams win governor. But I voted Kemp over Perdue bc Kemp again is better than Perdue.

Warm and fuzzy. Don’t you go getting me soft on you. You know that I know that I love it rough. Respectfully!
2000 mules. F Kemp and his sino handlers.

Lol. No, he is not. Him separating from the likes of you doesnt make him a conservative, and it says more about you. He hasn't changed one bit.
OK. I'll take your word. My liberal wife refuses to watch him anymore so he musta changed somehow. Also, Laura quotes him these days too.

Advertisement

You’re not very smart. I’m sorry for you.

OK. I'll take your word. My liberal wife refuses to watch him anymore so he musta changed somehow. Also, Laura quotes him these days too.
That's the Overton window passing Maher by, he hasn't changed - your wife has. Who is Laura?

Anyone who has watched Futurama from start to finish (my brother @Rellyrell might know what I am talking about) knows that they have an answer to that question.

In one episode, two knuckleheads and this beautiful subject called Bender are stuck in a time machine going to the future. The process of time concludes as science would suggest, with all stars collapsing until the entire universe gets dark. A second big bang ensues out of nowhere and the whole process restarts itself.

I do actually believe something a bit similar happens. Dark matter is believed to be responsible for the universes "infinite" expansion. I believe dark matter does not exist infinitely and the universe will eventually collapse (Big Crunch) as a result of dark matter not being able to hold up the structure of the universe because it expands too far out.

Because the Big Crunch is considered a reverse big bang, the amount of energy is such a short space will be so massive and intense, a second big bang will ensure and the whole process restarts itself.

Anyone who has watched Futurama from start to finish (my brother @Rellyrell might know what I am talking about) knows that they have an answer to that question.

In one episode, two knuckleheads and this beautiful subject called Bender are stuck in a time machine going to the future. The process of time concludes as science would suggest, with all stars collapsing until the entire universe gets dark. A second big bang ensues out of nowhere and the whole process restarts itself.

I do actually believe something a bit similar happens. Dark matter is believed to be responsible for the universes "infinite" expansion. I believe dark matter does not exist infinitely and the universe will eventually collapse (Big Crunch) as a result of dark matter not being able to hold up the structure of the universe because it expands too far out.

Because the Big Crunch is considered a reverse big bang, the amount of energy is such a short space will be so massive and intense, a second big bang will ensure and the whole process restarts itself.

Just saw that episode a couple weeks ago on SyFy. Lol.

Advertisement

Only sort of related, but your post made me think of this neat video I watched last year...

Everything dies, baby, that's a fact
But maybe everything that dies some day comes back
Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty
And meet me tonight in Atlantic City

Advertisement
Oceans of blood and mountains of dead bodies were atheism's gifts to humanity in the 20th century.

- Dinesh D'Souza

Possible, but this cyclical model has been discarded by cosmologists because the energy for the universe to rebound will eventually run it's course. Kind of like a ball bouncing. Each time it bounces it loses energy. The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

So from that one may surmise the process of rebounding is not past eternal. The universe did likely start in a remote time in the past. "Something" started it. Beyond that you are just getting into metaphysics and one's faith will determine your belief whether you are a naturalist or supernaturalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back