When will everyone wake up?

Great positive post. The real question objective fans have right now is whether we are delaying the inevitable with Manny and most of his staff. It is difficult to enjoy this ride barely beating bottom feeding ACC teams trotting out their backup QBs, and similar rides that resulted in horrific crashes these last 15 years, with this question at the forefront. Some of us get it, others continue to keep their heads in the sand and ignore this.
You've just hit on the key debate. How do we know when we've turned the corner and how much time do we give to make it happen? The only thing we know for certain is this season is completely unusual and almost nobody will be judged on it.

BTW, Do you have a collection of really bizarre avatars you're going through?

Advertisement
It’s a bit of a mixed bag, it’s not an nfl 5-1 but if you look at last year this schedule is tougher than pre covid 2020. I get that the realist are scared that we will be exposed by nc st vt unc etc. But at this stage the record needs to look good no matter how we do it, for recruiting! That doesn’t mean I want to win every game by just one point. But Diaz needs to put us in a position to get better players.

It’s funny you all laud butch for having future head coaches but he was also a fîrst timer back then. Can you all say you knew stoops pagano CJ schiano would be head coaches? Now, I doubt anyone on this staff besides Lashlee can be a head coach but point is manny needs a bit more time.

about not being a hardass, I agree he’s way too lenient with punishment and consequence. However, it’s not like he has five star back ups to take the place of the guy he’s going to discipline. Also I think it’s easier to be a guy that’s not happy with wins against subpar teams when you’ve won consistently. We haven’t, so the kids need to see that any win right now is big

I love 99% of the posters on this board. CIS is my home away from home. I spend more time on here than I do with my girl.

With that said, I don’t even know where to begin....

Reading the game day board takes years off my life. And yes, I know I bring that on myself, but holy **** we as a fan base need to take take a deep ******* breath.

We are an above average team, nothing more, nothing less. Wake up, my friends, and stop expecting to witness a beat down every Saturday. We are not good enough to do that. We are in the second tier of college football, along with the rest of teams ranked from 4 to 50. We’ve found a way to go 5-1 and people should celebrate that. Have some perspective — we lost to ******* FIU last year.

I know the majority of you expect better, and you should, but it’s critical to grasp reality. College football is a cesspool of parity, especially this year. I’d rather hold on to beat a bad UVA team than be Pedo State and lose to Indiana today.

We are going to have to scratch and claw to win a handful of games this year, just like any team not named Clemson, Bama, or OSU.

I know we have a ton of issues, but that was obvious a while back. I also know a lot of people believe we can just snap our fingers and all our problems will be erased. That’s not reality.

Enjoy the ride. Im thinking we’re in for another season like 2017. Don’t get all ****ed off when we don’t blow a team like Wake Forest out. Just hope we can win and hold onto our monster recruiting class. Diaz needs to get better, too. Our defense needs a complete overhaul, from coaching to scheme. But I’ll save that thread for another day.

We’re 5-1! You’re all my brothers! Enjoy a night knowing the Canes won!

P.S. the cheeks clap better after a win, if you catch my drift.
You have a lot of nerve ... how dare you come on here and talk Reason and Common Sense. You should be ashamed of yourself, inundating us with well thought-out Logic. Further, you added a dose of data to solidify your point. What in God's name is wrong with you?

Advertisement
Obviously Sherlock
No one said we could win the ship with this squad. It will take time to catch up to those top tier teams, but we are more talented than the rest of the ACC teams we play. Recruiting rankings will show it, and we didn’t just choose all over rated guys every recruiting class. The coaching here is trash af. Wake forest put up 40 on UVA, 40!!!
They don’t even have one 4* guy on their roster!!! They scheme better on both sides of the ball than we do but our talent won the game because they out talented UVA but we got outcoached again.
Did we win? I'm not sure

We are what we are. The people who thought we'd sprinkle some fairy dust on last year's team and challenge Clemson were using hearts and not heads. Folks who say we are terrible are just sour grapes because we aren't world beaters.

As has been true for the ACC for a while now, there is Clem and everyone else. I don't count ND because their presence here under the terms negotiated is a joke. I would have let them hang in independent neverland.

Each year one or two teams fall to the bottom and are truly terrible---think Noles this year. A team or two spark a bit. At the end of the day, any team not named Clem can win or lose to any other ACC team. If we can string a few more wins together, we could separate a bit and grow. Lerarning to win as some have pointed out is important. Finding guys who refuse to let the team lose are critical to be in the top tier. Not sure we have that guy or if we do, know who it is.

VT away and NC at home will be esp difficult. Not to beat on a kid who has given all he has, we must get McCloud out or UNC will light us up. McCloud has never seen a bad angle he doesn't like and has no speed to make up for it.

How many times have we started 5-1 or better in the last 15 years. Three times maybe? Celebrate the small steps this program is taking we're headed in the right direction
You're right it is pretty uncharted waters. We usually have 2+ losses by the end of October. The last couple times we started a season this well we tumbled down the stretch. We can probably all agree that 1 loss over the final 5 games is likely. The key might be not allowing that loss to turn into another late season swoon.

7-0 in 2013 (2-4 finish)
10-0 in 2017 (0-3 finish)
5-1 in 2020 (???)

Agrew with everything except the defense, they played great.
They held Virginia to the lowest scoring total of the season.
I just think we are poor fundamentally on defense : UV had a touchdown called back, and had other big plays available that they failed to execute. We don't handle running quarter backs well, we are constantly busting coverages, we are giving up an average of 20 plays a game for over 10 yards (worst in Football). I don't understand how many 3rd and longs we given up not just this year, we played soft zones all the time, our DB's are 8 yards off the ball and we still bail out past the first down markers. The thing with UV is they were not challenging us, they were trying to hold the rock and shorten the game which they did the first half with TOP. Also getting tired of hearing Diaz every game come out and say they did something we haven't seen before. The only equally talented offenses we played Louisville and Clemson put 30 and 40 plus on us >

Advertisement
How many times have we started 5-1 or better in the last 15 years. Three times maybe? Celebrate the small steps this program is taking we're headed in the right direction
that is were the frustration lies, the last 15 years and we are still trying to dig out of a hole : folks you are talking about a program that use to be Alabama in stature :

Great positive post. The real question objective fans have right now is whether we are delaying the inevitable with Manny and most of his staff? It is difficult to enjoy this ride barely beating bottom feeding ACC teams trotting out their backup QBs, and similar rides that resulted in horrific crashes these last 15 years, with this question at the forefront. Some of us get it, others continue to keep their heads in the sand and ignore this.
bottom line every time we play a top tier team we get our asses handed to us. it's been 15 years and we are still seeing the same issues pop up :

I think it’s entirely possible to enjoy winning a game while also realizing there’s issues that need to be addressed. OP is pretty spot on. This team is pretty good but nothing special. It’s a significant improvement over the last two years. Maybe not as much as some of us hoped for though.

Advertisement
that is were the frustration lies, the last 15 years and we are still trying to dig out of a hole : folks you are talking about a program that use to be Alabama in stature :
Fair enough. I'm 22 so I was sh*tting in sandboxes the last time the Canes were the Alabama of college football so I get the older generations frustration. Had I witnessed the greatness first hand I'd be much more frustrated at the current state of affairs I'm sure

You're right it is pretty uncharted waters. We usually have 2+ losses by the end of October. The last couple times we started a season this well we tumbled down the stretch. We can probably all agree that 1 loss over the final 5 games is likely. The key might be not allowing that loss to turn into another late season swoon.

7-0 in 2013 (2-4 finish)
10-0 in 2017 (0-3 finish)
5-1 in 2020 (???)
This is why the last two weeks have been major steps in my opinion where winning culture is being established. In the recent past, when we lose, we lose hard and let the losses pile up. Going 2-0 since the blowout at Clemson has me feeling confident that this team won't lose back to back this year. We'll probably drop one more in the regular season imo

My advice to you is to not ever go near the Game Day thread. I lost any sort of respect I gave some posters on this forum by reading those 3years ago. You really wanna see something pathetic, wait for the National Championship game thread. The amount of Saban/SEC/Dabo ****ing sucking is disgusting. The closet Sabanites are everywhere. If they knew no one was gonna find out, they would let Saban teabag them and say thank you afterward and probably not brush their teeth for weeks. It's sad.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Agrew with everything except the defense, they played great.
They held Virginia to the lowest scoring total of the season.

This is what I don't understand about the mopes reaction to the defensive performance, UVA didn't achieve much at all on offense. They had some breaks go against them but so did our offense and nobody is giving our boys a pass on their performance.

We were literally one busted coverage away from giving up 7 total pts in the game. The defense obviously lost focus on what they should have considered a crucial drive. That is a learning to win, teachable moment and it didn't actually cost us anything.

Playing devils advocate, say Mallory gets a PI call on the corner route, King hits Harley on that slant, and we don't get a FG blocked. Then we are looking at 34ish pts on the board. We didn't dominate UVA but they are a big, tough veteran team with several draftable players. I would have felt better if we had won 23+ to 7 but it didn't happen and I am not going to act like we **** the bed all game because we had a late blown coverage.

I did say that we won the game sir, reading comprehension.. I said we won off talent alone, not coaching.
Oh I can comprehend. Do not get mad at me because you are looking like a fool on here! We won, and it was not pretty...but I only see a #1 in our loss column, and that means we are one step closer to getting a chance to avenge that. Every week we pull out a win, it does not matter how bad it looks.

The way you guys act on here, you would not be happy with an ugly win in the ACC or National Championship game!

Yes we are 5-1. If we played Indiana or Kentucky would we win????

Really? What kind of wack *** question is that? Come on South Beach... Since you like to play the scenario game. Riddle me this...
If a male prostitute approaches you on 1st and Biscayne St and offers you 500k in real cash only if you suck his dik over at the dunes, do you do it?

Who loves ya? NOBODY , STUPID!!!!

Fack Indiana and *** Kentucky too !!

Go Canes!!!!

Advertisement
Back