When Alonzo speaks......

Reminds me when Randy decided to strip the names off the back of the jerseys. LOL.
Exactly. Ancillary crap like this is meaningless fluff. Which, ironically, people also say about the turnover chain.

Recruit better. Coach better. Play better.

Advertisement
Hate Manny all you want, the original chain was bad ***, got the team hyped and EVERYONE loved it. If we kept winning, no one would ever go against it. Problem is when you're losing bad and having a terrible season, it looks like a ridiculous prop.

The TD rings were just way too much, those were a bad idea from the start. Nothing cool about TD rings when you should be scoring 4-5+ TD's per game. These killed some allure of the chain (making them both look like dumb props) and were super awkward forcing kids to take pics with them when they clearly didnt want to

Advertisement
Better tell Kirby to give back that national championship trophy because his guys put on some goofy *** spiked shoulder pads after getting a turnover. Or Saban should return his drawer full of rings because his guys break out a WWE style championship belt after getting a turnover. UGA and Bama players celebrate and pose with their goofy props after getting turnovers and it doesn’t affect how well they play.

We need to stop with the BS. The Miami Hurricanes have not been good because the players and coaches haven’t been good enough. Blaming turnover props or changing the warm up music or any other ancillary changes will NOT make the team good. Getting better players and coaching them better is the only thing that’s going to make the team good.
It’s the dumbest **** ever man

Is it the chain’s fault if a team is down by 30? If there wasn’t a chain to distract them, they’d be winning? Maybe we should focus on getting better players and coaches and less on trying to blame an inanimate object.
The point is, celebrating down 30 is an obvious sign that the culture was soft and broken.

Advertisement
I have no problem with this move by Cristobal. We lost against a terrible 4-8 FSU squad, because of mental errors, nuff said. 1st drive made me vomit... 5 penalties, two of them 15 yarders personal fouls. Football is about taking care of details. Mental errors and lack of discipline are not getting it done.

I wanna see an intelligent team playing with passion and responsibility, no more gimmicks. Time for a change!

Advertisement
I loved the turnover chain. I'll be disappointed to see it go. I think the fans and players loved it. I'd prefer Mario find some determination as to when it should come out as opposed to all the time, b/c it was silly when we were down. But it got the stadium rocking and the offense fired up, particularly when it was a meaningful turnover and led to some momentum.

IDK, I think it'd be easy to say that the TO chain only comes out when we're ahead or down less than 2 scores.
He had a turnover chain at Oregon

I see our fans our emotionally attached to the chain....Mario already said he would talk to the team about this and they met last week...I think the team is tired of that **** also

I don't mind the TO chain, but only at the end of a game THAT WE'VE WON. Not during the game, and definitely not when we're losing.

Advertisement
Also wasn't the original idea for the chain actually Rumph? Like Manny was DC at the time and wanted a way to incentivize guys to create more turnovers and they were brainstorming with the entire D room. Someone brought the idea of a prop and pretty sure it was Rumph who said lets do a chain, he went to AJ to get it made, Wilfork was there and Rumph wanted a gold rope but big vince say no cuban gold link is miami.

But because Manny was DC he got (or took) credit for it. I totally think he was the one to suggest the stupid TD rings, just piggy-backing off what someone else did like he did much of his career. but I actually think the idea for the chain was Rumph/Wilfork.

The point is, celebrating down 30 is an obvious sign that the culture was soft and broken.
I agree that they shouldn’t be celebrating when they’re losing but what’s the bigger problem, the fact that they’re celebrating while down 30 or the fact that they’re down 30? If we fix the actual problems, the issues with the chain will no longer exist. Just taking away the chain does nothing to fix the actual problems though. Just like taking the names off the backs of jerseys or banning players from social media did nothing. It’s bravado and new coach “tough speak”. Let’s make it so we’re not getting blown out anymore and we’ll never have to worry about celebrating while being blown out.

Literally everyone uses some type of prop.

Tying the use of one to winning or losing is as preposterous as it gets.
Meh...you have a point, UGA just won the title and they have the football pads spike thing but.....

You don't see them posing for pictures in the middle of a tightly contested game with it on....you'll most likely find them on the sidelines getting coached up for the next defensive series.

If anything, put the chain on and then go sit down and get coached up so we can do it again. I'm fine with the chain being allegedly being retired, but I'm not against it as long as it's not a distraction to our men getting coached up on the sidelines

Current turnover chain celebration was a HUGE distraction n took away valuable instruction time for needed adjustments etc

Simple question (and it probably doesn't happen a lot), but do Bama or UGa break out their turnover gimmicks when they are losing? Just curious.

Advertisement
Back