When Alonzo speaks......

I loved the turnover chain. I'll be disappointed to see it go. I think the fans and players loved it. I'd prefer Mario find some determination as to when it should come out as opposed to all the time, b/c it was silly when we were down. But it got the stadium rocking and the offense fired up, particularly when it was a meaningful turnover and led to some momentum.

IDK, I think it'd be easy to say that the TO chain only comes out when we're ahead or down less than 2 scores.
considering the vast amount to be changed to the program and culture after 20 years of fugly decay, i understand why it is being terminated. this is a "borron y cuenta nueva" (start from scratch) fix so EVERYTHING must go. once it is rebuilt and back on track, I can see it or another iteration coming back.

Advertisement
considering the vast amount to be changed to the program and culture after 20 years of fugly decay, i understand why it is being terminated. this is a "borron y cuenta nueva" (start from scratch) fix so EVERYTHING must go. once it is rebuilt and back on track, I can see it or another iteration coming back.
Reminds me when Randy decided to strip the names off the back of the jerseys. LOL.

If we start winning I wouldn't mind if the chain came back, not mad at either decision.
Yeah, the chain was never the problem. That said, if Mario gets us winning, kill the chain, make everybody wear a chain, whatever. Win and I don’t care what else you do.

Within reason.

Advertisement
I think tis thing could be made to be 2 fold. I recall teams taken names off the back of jerseys till they earned them. I remember the cowboys took the stars of the helmets till the team started playing like a playoff super bowl type team. Yes it was just for preseason but still it was something to try and motivate the players. Maybe tell the players the chain may come back but not until the players earn it. I think they can make it work but im not loosing sleep overt it either way.

Can’t we just ban that duche bag? Like dude is from Memphis anyway so it’s ample teams he can tag onto. I’m thinkn ex cuommicando style.

Advertisement
Literally everyone uses some type of prop.

Tying the use of one to winning or losing is as preposterous as it gets.

1. No they don't.

2. Tell me the day you see an Alabama, a Georgia, a Clemson, an Ohio State rolling out props when getting their teeth kicked in 27-0 or 41-10.

The hardware became a problem the minute kids were still reaching for it in games they were losing—wanting their individual celebration moment, while the team was collectively getting their *** kicked.

Classic overcorrection. The chain is NOT the problem or a distraction with the right coaches!
#keepthechain!

The chain was Manny Diaz's gimmick and prop—all flash and sizzle, no substance and a 21-15 record as a result.

Mario isn't about props and gimmicks—so there was no way he was carrying his over from the Diaz era.

If the new head coach and his staff think the chain is a stupid, distracting prop—then that's precisely what it is. New staff is trying to change the culture.

Hilarious that this fan base is so up in arms over a chain getting shelved—as part of the new staff's efforts to fix decades of wrong.

Win football games. Win the ACC. Make noise in the Playoffs. Do all that and maybe the chain comes back, but dancing around like idiots and going 7-5—there's nothing to celebrate.

Well, I think he's right. Alabama and UGA both have their turnover props. Doesn't seem to affect their focus or play.

Again, the day Alabama or Georgia are busting out props when losing football games 27-0 or 41-10, let me know.

Until then, pretty obvious that Miami's chain lost its luster—as kids were more concerned with celebrating their individual moments in games their team was getting its *** handed to it.

Had Manny not let the inmates run the asylum and players had a healthier relationship with the chain—maybe it'd have stayed.

When there were ten sideline photoshoots against Central Connecticut State—when Miami was 1-2; rolled by Bama, almost upset by Appalachian State and outlasted by Michigan State—very obvious there was a culture problem.

Advertisement
Better tell Kirby to give back that national championship trophy because his guys put on some goofy *** spiked shoulder pads after getting a turnover. Or Saban should return his drawer full of rings because his guys break out a WWE style championship belt after getting a turnover. UGA and Bama players celebrate and pose with their goofy props after getting turnovers and it doesn’t affect how well they play.

We need to stop with the BS. The Miami Hurricanes have not been good because the players and coaches haven’t been good enough. Blaming turnover props or changing the warm up music or any other ancillary changes will NOT make the team good. Getting better players and coaching them better is the only thing that’s going to make the team good.
Do Bama and Georgia bust out their props and take sideline pictures when they make a meaningless play down by 30+ points?

The chain was Manny Diaz's gimmick and prop—all flash and sizzle, no substance and a 21-15 record as a result.

Mario isn't about props and gimmicks—so there was no way he was carrying his over from the Diaz era.

If the new head coach and his staff think the chain is a stupid, distracting prop—then that's precisely what it is. New staff is trying to change the culture.

Hilarious that this fan base is so up in arms over a chain getting shelved—as part of the new staff's efforts to fix decades of wrong.

Win football games. Win the ACC. Make noise in the Playoffs. Do all that and maybe the chain comes back, but dancing around like idiots and going 7-5—there's nothing to celebrate.

The dancing and over use of the chain was a coaching/ culture issue. The chain wasn't the issue, it was Manny and the culture HE created. The top programs in the country have some replica of the chain, and it doesn't stop them or distract them from winning. It's just an excuse.
The kids and recruits LOVE it! They love it all over the country, and that should be taken into consideration.
It's up to the coaches to control the sidelines and when it's issued, and I don't see that ever being an issue again with Mario and staff.

Like I said, classic overcorrection.

College Football Reaction GIF by SEC Network

Advertisement
1. No they don't.

2. Tell me the day you see an Alabama, a Georgia, a Clemson, an Ohio State rolling out props when getting their teeth kicked in 27-0 or 41-10.

The hardware became a problem the minute kids were still reaching for it in games they were losing—wanting their individual celebration moment, while the team was collectively getting their *** kicked.

Besides you obviously, a problem for who?

Good on you for going back to that avatar. I couldn't recognize you without it.

Do Bama and Georgia bust out their props and take sideline pictures when they make a meaningless play down by 30+ points?
Is it the chain’s fault if a team is down by 30? If there wasn’t a chain to distract them, they’d be winning? Maybe we should focus on getting better players and coaches and less on trying to blame an inanimate object.

Literally everyone uses some type of prop.

Tying the use of one to winning or losing is as preposterous as it gets.
I didnt like bringing out the props when we were getting smoked or forcing players to take photos with it but thats a separate issue. The turnover chain itself isnt a big deal either way but if the kids like it, recruits love photo shoots with it and excitement is generated from using it correctly not sure why it has to go. Especially if used for special occasions in big games.

Advertisement
Back