When Alonzo speaks......

I love Zo but he also needs to realize things change and evolve which is what Miami was/is known for.

When he played, yes it was a winning culture but before that the "winning culture" was the Notre Dame, Penn State, Nebraskas of the world. Score a TD, sprint the ball to hand to the ref, get on the sideline and maybe give out a hi five. No one was calling people b!tches at a coin toss, no one was dancing in the endzone or after a big hit.

I am sure some old head would have told Zo back in the day "winners focus on winning, not trash talking or dancing"

I said this in another post, I am indifferent about the chain. Most teams have some prop now after what the chain revolutionized, both Bama and UGA have a prop and are winning, you can have both. The kids seem to like it and it gets them pumped, that was my main concern.

Advertisement
Better tell Kirby to give back that national championship trophy because his guys put on some goofy *** spiked shoulder pads after getting a turnover. Or Saban should return his drawer full of rings because his guys break out a WWE style championship belt after getting a turnover. UGA and Bama players celebrate and pose with their goofy props after getting turnovers and it doesn’t affect how well they play.

We need to stop with the BS. The Miami Hurricanes have not been good because the players and coaches haven’t been good enough. Blaming turnover props or changing the warm up music or any other ancillary changes will NOT make the team good. Getting better players and coaching them better is the only thing that’s going to make the team good.

Advertisement
What would be smart is to say you’re retiring the chain but to have it available and deploy at the right time during the season to give the team and crowd a boost at the right moment in a big game… And then keep it as a coaches discretion thing.

The chain can absolutely be an effective tool if used correctly. The TD rings were so stupid they (and the broken culture of the program) ruined the chain.

Advertisement
Plenty of winning teams have turnover props. They just have cultures that are set and don’t let the gimmick get in the way. They also never bring it out when they’re down 3 scores.

The TD rings though, were a joke lmao.

Advertisement
Lon may be grateful but he don't know **** but kissing manny's *** and "loving" the team's effort as they under-achieve. He's grateful to stay average.
The whole team pulled together shtick is bs. Once we went 2-4 to start literally the only game that mattered was FSU and Manny still managed to blow it. The fact we had won all the other games and still had an outside shot at an ACCCG bid just makes it worse.

I would trade both the NCSt and Pitt victories for the win at Doak right now. Record and bowl berths don't matter for **** if it ain't putting us into the ACCCG. Gimme 6-6 with the FSU win vs 7-5 and an L in trailerhassee all day.

I loved the turnover chain. I'll be disappointed to see it go. I think the fans and players loved it. I'd prefer Mario find some determination as to when it should come out as opposed to all the time, b/c it was silly when we were down. But it got the stadium rocking and the offense fired up, particularly when it was a meaningful turnover and led to some momentum.

IDK, I think it'd be easy to say that the TO chain only comes out when we're ahead or down less than 2 scores.

Advertisement
Lon might not want to charge up this hill to fast.
From the little correspondence I've seen of his with screenshots posted on this forum, I've come to the conclusion he's a complete idiot.

Don't understand how you could get into an argument on what a winning culture looks like with Alonzo Highsmith; someone who we point to as a cornerstone with this program being built from the ground up.

The turnover chain is one thing, many teams have a turnover props, including the two teams in this year's championship game.

But the TD rings? GTFO.
Problem is, the Turnover chain became so big, it started to become a distraction.

Could it be used down the road? Sure. But you need an established culture first before you roll that thing out. UGA and Bama have that, we don't.

Advertisement
Back