What's wrong with our jet sweeps?

People don't understand how handcuffed Enos has been with this offense. We can't pull linemen. Period. Our counter, toss, stretch runs are non existent.. opponents DE don't have to respect getting sealed. They can overpower any kind of mistake without fear of getting gashed. Basically we line up & run quick hitters or RPO's where defense have to read/react. Very little disguise with what we are able to do successfully.

Once we get better in the trenches, this offense will see a huge boost in production (& variance).. just like hitting on the deep ball has opened up the passing game (helped with OL too).
All of this. This is a spot in post right here.

Advertisement
Slow motion, slow running, congested boundary runs.

Tbh none of the WRs are good after the catch and Jordan is too slow to run jet sweeps.

I agree it’s been disappointing that we haven’t really hit them big. But we actually average a pretty good clip on those plays, it’s a productive play call for us usually.

The timing has been off on some. We snap it a little early and that gives the edge player an extra step to get up field and disrupt.

Advertisement
Last year, people here were bemoaning our lack of pre-snap motion and jet sweeps.

Seems we're using motion more and that's good.

But I can't recall a single jet sweep that's worked for big yardage this season. Most of them are getting stuffed pretty quickly.

What's the problem?

Poor execution? Offensive line? Too many run to the short side?
We only want to run them into the boundary for some reason. That’s the biggest reason in my opinion.

Advertisement
A big portion of it has been our inability to do much else down field coming off of them. Teams have been crashing them hard.

We have not had any real speed since Randy’s last recruits left. Well, Duke had speed but golden fattened out of it.

People don't understand how handcuffed Enos has been with this offense. We can't pull linemen. Period. Our counter, toss, stretch runs are non existent.. opponents DE don't have to respect getting sealed. They can overpower any kind of mistake without fear of getting gashed. Basically we line up & run quick hitters or RPO's where defense have to read/react. Very little disguise with what we are able to do successfully.

Once we get better in the trenches, this offense will see a huge boost in production (& variance).. just like hitting on the deep ball has opened up the passing game (helped with OL too).

You nailed it, alot of peoe want him to call plays like Eric Bienemy but when your oline is taking small steps in development your playbook has to match what they can do.

Advertisement
They seem to work fairly well. I think we're averaging around 6 or 7 yards per WR rush. It'd be nice to get an explosive run here or there, but 6-7 yards per play is pretty good. If we break one for 50 vs. FIU the overall numbers on jet sweeps will look really good.

Plus as others have said, they serve to keep defenses honest.

Advertisement
Wiggins has the speed to get big gains on jet sweeps.

No more TE sweeps...reminded me of the calls made for Buck Ortega back in the day. Good times.

So if Jeff Thomas and Dee Wiggins aren’t “fast enough” to run a jet sweep...who is?

does it only work if you have Devin Hester?
Yeah I don't get this whole all our WR's are slow narrative...

We literally have 4 WR's with legit 4.4 speed, but for whatever the only ones who get the Jet Sweeps all the time is KJ & Brevin lol.

Advertisement
Back