Whats with the Mario craze

Congratulations to Mario and winning the Rose Bowl. Can he sustain it there is the question. He inherited a lot of good players so we'll see.

One advantage he has is the PAC-12 has never been so comprehensively mediocre. That's inflating their wins but he's winning enough as it is.

At the very least here he would recruit a little better here (though again we should be beating the majority of teams on our schedule anyways) and we would have a tougher team. But overall game planning (especially offense) is iffy.

Would I take him over Manny? OMG yes. Over Coker, Golden, Shannon, and pre-retirement Richt as well.

Advertisement
Have folks actually watched Oregon since Mario has been there? He had a few incredible losses over the last two years. His team absolutely choked leading 24-7 late in the 3rd quarter at home against Stanford and were driving to score and had the ball first and goal on the 2 yard line and they lined up in the shotgun and incredibly after the first snap was high and the qb almost lost it they went to the shotgun on 3rd down and again another high snap which Stanford grabbed and ran in for a score. They even went up again by 10 but with about 4 minutes to go they could not hold Stanford. And this year no one knows how they lost to Auburn. They could have gone up by about 3 TD's or 17 points, but they began to drop passes and even miss easy field goals. And with a chance to go to the College Football Playoff they laid an egg at Arizona State.

His teams are not very tough minded and they seem to have some Miami issues with dropped passes. But the in game decisions by Mario have added to their woes. He can recruit yes but his teams are a bit sloppy and his in game coaching decisions are questionable. I honestly think he would drive people crazy here and though he can definitely recruit I dont know if it will make up for his lack of coaching acumen.

He's Miami's best and most-logical option, post-Diaz. Period.

The Miami gig ain't as desirable at UM fans like to think it is—hence the type of guys that keep winding up in the revolving door of head coaches.

You can do all the "searches" you want—but UM has always been a niche gig, requiring the right type of guy who wants to sign up for the high-pressure gig at a private school in a pro sports metropolis, with a small alumni base and limited resources. It's literally the exact opposite of the standard college football head coaching gig.

As far as the coaching landscape currently goes, Mario is a Miami native, a Hurricanes football alum and he's cut his teeth as a head coach—failing at FIU before succeeding at Oregon. Spent years learning under Saban and everyone knows UM is his dream gig.

Mario ain't the greatest thing ever by any stretch—but it's a realistic option, opposed to the morons screaming, "BACK UP THE BRINKS TRUCK AND DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET URBAN MEYER!!!" these past few months—as if that would ever happen in a million years, as Meyer has a million better offers whenever he's ready.

When the Diaz experiment ends—Mario is Miami's most-logical next choice. Hardly a world-beater—but again, he'd want to come home and wouldn't have to sold on taking over. He's also not an up-and-comer—which always seems to be what Miami can reel in, over-the-hill Richt aside.

They're ahead of us on every site's rankings too, not just the composite. 247 has them at 13 & Miami 22. ESPN has them at 13 & Miami at 19. Rivals has them at 9 & Miami at 16. Oh but our average recruit is 0.07 better (that's the actual difference) than their's, so Mario sucks.

This has nothing to do with class rankings. These people will do anything they can to "prove" Mario isn't any good. Right now it's "wait until next year when he doesn't have this team". But if he wins 10 games next year, they'll talk **** about him because he didn't win 11.

Meanwhile.. In Coral Gables..

Where did anyone say he sucks at recruiting But he’s not some savant when Manny Diaz and his staff who everyone **** on are recruiting better quality players, yes or no?

Dude gagged the Auburn game and then lost to ASU with a chance to play in the playoff, if that happened to Diaz people would torch his home but since Mario is a “Miami” guy it’s ok

Mario has become the new Butch. In other words, to those that actually pay attention, it's obvious why the guy would be an unmitigated disaster. But to those that think that college football hasn't changed one iota since 2000, he's perfect, because he a Miami Guy.

Never mind the fact that Mario has shown throughout his career to be a mediocre gameday coach, and a "recruiter" that only shines when he is able to leverage overwhelming financial resources. Guess what, there isn't a Phil Knight making things happen in Coral Gables.

Miami can do better than Manny Diaz, but this "Only this one particular coach can save us" nonsense has to end. It was stupid when it was an over the hill Butch, it was stupid as **** when Leach was presented, it's stupid as **** that the torch has been passed to Mario. Mario is solid, but he's limited, and the odds would be stacked against him here, when one looks at his skill set. It's time to look outside of the bubble.
I could not put this any better.

Mario is good and has his followers.
The problem is that we want to step up to Elite, and by Mario's record, that will be difficult to near impossible if Mario does not grow his game acumen.
Learning with Saban does not mean that Mario can step in and beat Dabo, if crucial game decisions aren't in the bag of game calling
The nuances of the game, and getting points by milking everything is an inborn trait, so the Jimmy Johnsons of the world are few and far between.
Elite is very hard to attain.
No Mario is not there yet.

Advertisement
I’m not a huge Mario guy either, but I would love for everyone who says Mario is trash to tell us who their realistic choice is that has done more than Mario? No coach is perfect, but he would be a decent fit for us and the best we could do IMO.

And I’ve always loved the, “He has a great QB, he isn’t anything without him” argument. It’s hilarious. What conference champion and NY6 Bowl Game winner doesn’t have a good QB? If he didn’t win with him he would be getting crushed, so you all punish him for doing what he is supposed to do? Outside of Saban, who might be the greatest college coach of all time, winning with Coker and McCarron who were “good” for what Bama needed them to do but not superstars...what winning college coaches didn’t have great QBs? What was Ed O before Burrow? Dabo before Deshaun and Trevor Lawrence? Jimbo without Jameis? I could go on and on... and NO, I AM NOT SAYING MARIO IS ON THOSE GUYS’ LEVEL, but I just don’t understand why people are knocking him for doing what he should be doing with a QB that is as talented as the one he has. It makes zero sense. “Wait until he doesn’t have that guy next year! He won’t do anything!” Lmao, so just erase and forget what he did accomplish with him and give him zero credit for it? So stupid IMO.

So His team lacks toughness but beat one of the toughest teams in cfb to win the Rose Bowl...

3475ADD0-4E4E-418E-BA91-74FAE7912A1F.gif

He just won the Pac 12 and Rose Bowl.

And is going to finish with a Top 5 ranking.

And wants to be in Miami! When the **** does that ever happen? An up and coming coach, who is an elite recruiter, and learned how to run a program under Saban? ******* fans are as stupid as Blake James. Only difference is James has a high salary.

Manny is the equivalent of the backup quarterback . . . always more popular than the starting QB.

Advertisement
Everybody is making good points. Its hard to argue that he is better than Manny, **** that's not an argument, that's a fact. He likely would clean up on the recruiting trail but I have watched some of his games and the in-game decisions sometimes are a bit mystifying. But to be fair whoever is coaching his secondary is not helping him. But all that being said I really think to be successful here you have to be a bit of a hard *** and get the players attention and you have to be a good in game coach and strategist.. And remember (this may sound like whining) the Canes are probably almost always going to have to contend with the hatred that is portrayed by the refereeing we get. The anti-U bias in the ACC refereeing as crazy as it sounds has to be taken into consideration when coaching here. Yall do remember that we might just have beaten Wisconsin in our stadium 3 seasons ago had the officiating crew decided that holding was legal or as they told one of the d lineman that was held, he wasn't held long enough LOL. And who can forget the dback pulling Cagers jersey all the way down the field and then actually pulling him back and then stealing the ball in front of thousands of fans in the stadium and on TV and no call. Not so sure if Mario can overcome all that.

Ya I've never thought he was a great game day coach, and didn't want him hired... and I think he has a ceiling. But at this point you have to give him props....We would certainly AT LEAST be better off if we hired him.

This thread is wild and there is so much taken out of context.

To answer OPs question as to why the Mario craze.

Go back 1 year ago. When Richt retires. Many believed Mario was the favorite to get the job because it was the obvious lazy hire: Head coaching experience, he was interested in the job and he’s Miami guy. Instead Blake James out did himself by going even lazier and promoting Manny without even interviewing Mario. So Mario and Manny will forever be linked.

Now to address some of the wild stuff in this thread.

Someone in here said “coaches don’t get better”
Might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read...Ed O, Nick Saban, Dabo, Mack Browns, Pete Carroll just to name a few...

Someone said Mario inherited a great program....the SRs that just finished their last season were 4wins and 7 wins when he took
Over...so naw that’s actually a lot worst than what Diaz took over.

They are recruiting way better than we are and they don’t have a strong base like Miami. Let that sink in. They are going out of state and we can’t get kids to sign within 100 miles.

Someone said “Mario failed” where? When? He maxed out FIU, and jumped to a better jobs, then got a big time job and won a Major conference title in just his second year...where they do that at?

“Gameday coaching” is honestly one of the most over hyped arbitrary things. “When did Dabo become a great gameday coach? When he got DeShaun Watson. When did Pete Carroll become a great gameday coach? When he got Matt Linart, Reggie Bush. When did Mack Brown become he a great day coach? When he got Vince Young.
Yes gameday coaching matters, but when you call a play or make an adjustment there is a 50/50 chance it works. And if the players you have are better then that probability increased in your favor.

Is Mario the next Vince Lombardi or some
Magical savior? No he’s not

But what he is a really good coach, a great recruiter and someone who if he amasses enough talent and hires the right coordinators has national title potential. Plus he’s an OL guy which if you’ve seen our Oline play this past decade we need as much as we can get.

Last edited:
You ***ggots are speaking out your *** again as it relates to Mario. Talking about game planning and in game adjustments like you have been in pre game meetings or on the head seat during the games. You don't have clue one about any of that, but here you are, grasping at anything you can because you hate the dude so much. Then, you guys go around congratulating each other on your make believe opined scenarios. You absolutely hate the fact that he is having big time success at one of college footballs premiere programs in todays game, so you blatantly make sht up to cushion the blow.

He is the PAC 12 and Rose Bowl champ in year two, and his players absolutely love and respect him. You guys have thrown out every "excuse" you can think of to discredit his success at Oregon. There's going to be one coach who wins it all this year. You guys love some Riley despite the fact he keeps getting beat by those same SEC teams you love to hate. Yet, you praise him like he is some football immortal. Guess what dummies, Saban aint winning this year either. Matter of fact, he didn't win last year either.

In the two full years as Oregon's HC he has taken a team that went 7-6 in 2017, to a 12-2 record in 2019, conference champs and a Rose Bowl win.
Try harder.

Advertisement
Have folks actually watched Oregon since Mario has been there? He had a few incredible losses over the last two years. His team absolutely choked leading 24-7 late in the 3rd quarter at home against Stanford and were driving to score and had the ball first and goal on the 2 yard line and they lined up in the shotgun and incredibly after the first snap was high and the qb almost lost it they went to the shotgun on 3rd down and again another high snap which Stanford grabbed and ran in for a score. They even went up again by 10 but with about 4 minutes to go they could not hold Stanford. And this year no one knows how they lost to Auburn. They could have gone up by about 3 TD's or 17 points, but they began to drop passes and even miss easy field goals. And with a chance to go to the College Football Playoff they laid an egg at Arizona State.

His teams are not very tough minded and they seem to have some Miami issues with dropped passes. But the in game decisions by Mario have added to their woes. He can recruit yes but his teams are a bit sloppy and his in game coaching decisions are questionable. I honestly think he would drive people crazy here and though he can definitely recruit I dont know if it will make up for his lack of coaching acumen.
I Don't know what the hype is about but its ridiculous . So if he came here this year and went 6-6 or 7-5 people would want him out of here as well smdh

1st round QB, top 3 OL in football, tons of upper classman, UW and Stanford fields their worst teams in 7 years and loses to ASU. Finished 4th in pac 12 north with the same team the year before. Pure desperation

Advertisement
Coaches don't improve that much. Mario, like Ed O were miserable failures at their previous stops, but in this college football world where "Richest Team Wins", are able to succeed, despite not really doing anything. It's a case of the organization winning, and someone being along for the ride. Mario works at Oregon, because the one thing he can do, he can do there at a high level with little interference. Mario can outtalent most of the Pac-12, and he can leverage the financial resources provided by Phil Knight to great effect. He couldn't even outtalent teams in the Sun Belt, despite having a significantly better local talent pool.

He's still a mediocre coach, because any time the talent is anywhere near equal, Oregon tends to lose. He consistently gets worked by superior coaches, even those that work with inferior talent.

atleast someone else is on my side...my alma mater would consistently beat up on him at FIU. And that was with FIU recruiting BETTER than FAU. The guys that hype him up really should be Oregon fans....he didnt BUILD this oregon team...and the last guy that left their hyped is currently at my alma mater after flaming at FSU of all places.

The Pac 12 is DOWN like ****...and last season was his shot and he blew it to **** AZ state.

- Good he can recruit.....can he evaluate?. That remains to be seen.....can he "RECRUIT" without a real Recruiting department/staff like he has at Oregon or at Bama where they literally hired guys that worked for 247 sports and rivals to be on staff, or is he gonna do work with Pop Cooney and the sunshine band as the recruiting department?.

-His recruiting prowess honestly wouldnt be all that great at Miami as it will be negated..as his strength is recruiting south florida guys...AWAY from Miami...and he hasnt dealt with this real battle zone of south florida recruiting from the inside or from a position of not being a top dog (Bama) since his time at Rutgers.

I'm not a fan....and if he is looked upon as a SAVIOR or something here he will bomb rather quickly.

This thread right here is the perfect example of how ignorant our BOT and majority of fan the base is. They couldn’t recognize a winner if it doesnt already wear a U on its uniform.

Miami loses time FIU, Duke and La. tech and fans have the nerve to say a 11/12 win team “choked”

As a former Mario hater-- The numbers don't lie. People need to detach themselves from their prior thoughts on him, cover the names and just look at how he's produced.

• He's at a program that won a total of 11 games in two seasons before he took over.
• He's won 21 games in the two seasons since.
• He just won 12 games.
• He just won a Conference title.
• He just won the Rose Bowl.
• He's doing very well in recruiting.
• He's shown an excellent track record of identifying coaching talent.

If someone plopped this resume down on your desk during our next coaching search, you'd be crazy not to sit down with this candidate. This doesn't include the other conference title he won at a previous head coaching job.

He needed to prove it on the field in a power 5 conference and he's doing that.

Mario is competent, Cuban heritage, and is “a Miami” guy.

Diaz has been incompetent so far. So competence is the draw.

It’s pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back