Whats with the Mario craze

Advertisement
he ad like 7 injured players against auburn. most of them were major players too. I will be honest, they barely got by washington and wazzu but i saw that team outtough wisky in the rose bowl and most teams dont do that. they play tough.
Yup

Everybody is making good points. Its hard to argue that he is better than Manny, **** that's not an argument, that's a fact. He likely would clean up on the recruiting trail but I have watched some of his games and the in-game decisions sometimes are a bit mystifying. But to be fair whoever is coaching his secondary is not helping him. But all that being said I really think to be successful here you have to be a bit of a hard *** and get the players attention and you have to be a good in game coach and strategist.. And remember (this may sound like whining) the Canes are probably almost always going to have to contend with the hatred that is portrayed by the refereeing we get. The anti-U bias in the ACC refereeing as crazy as it sounds has to be taken into consideration when coaching here. Yall do remember that we might just have beaten Wisconsin in our stadium 3 seasons ago had the officiating crew decided that holding was legal or as they told one of the d lineman that was held, he wasn't held long enough LOL. And who can forget the dback pulling Cagers jersey all the way down the field and then actually pulling him back and then stealing the ball in front of thousands of fans in the stadium and on TV and no call. Not so sure if Mario can overcome all that.

Advertisement
Recruiting at an Elite level with a class rated lower than ours and 3x times the financial backing?

They are at 13 with 2 five stars. We are at 18. Last year they were 7, and we were 27...

with a team that should have easily been in the playoffs if you look at schedule, 18 returning starters, a top 10 QB, and 4 Seniors on the OL.

Easily? LSU, tOSU and Clemson were undefeated and stone cold locks, so no, the last spot wasn't coming easily for anybody.

I don't think anyone pins him as a miracle worker but we've had several chances to hire him and gotten burned each time while he's leveled up consistently

Advertisement
They are at 13 with 2 five stars. We are at 18. Last year they were 7, and we were 27...

Yet by player average worse

Yet by player average worse

Barely in 2020, by less than 1 point. In 2019 Mario's class was 2 points higher. The overall point is that they are generally recruiting better, they won their conference while we can't even win the weakest division in any power 5 conference, and they won an actual meaningful bowl while we've only won 1 bowl in what seems like forever, losing to the likes of Louisiana Tech. I have not clamored for Mario myself. But for OP and others not understanding why, it's pretty clear when you look at any metric.

Mario has become the new Butch. In other words, to those that actually pay attention, it's obvious why the guy would be an unmitigated disaster. But to those that think that college football hasn't changed one iota since 2000, he's perfect, because he a Miami Guy.

Never mind the fact that Mario has shown throughout his career to be a mediocre gameday coach, and a "recruiter" that only shines when he is able to leverage overwhelming financial resources. Guess what, there isn't a Phil Knight making things happen in Coral Gables.

Miami can do better than Manny Diaz, but this "Only this one particular coach can save us" nonsense has to end. It was stupid when it was an over the hill Butch, it was stupid as **** when Leach was presented, it's stupid as **** that the torch has been passed to Mario. Mario is solid, but he's limited, and the odds would be stacked against him here, when one looks at his skill set. It's time to look outside of the bubble.

Advertisement
Mario has become the new Butch. In other words, to those that actually pay attention, it's obvious why the guy would be an unmitigated disaster. But to those that think that college football hasn't changed one iota since 2000, he's perfect, because he a Miami Guy.

Never mind the fact that Mario has shown throughout his career to be a mediocre gameday coach, and a "recruiter" that only shines when he is able to leverage overwhelming financial resources. Guess what, there isn't a Phil Knight making things happen in Coral Gables.

Miami can do better than Manny Diaz, but this "Only this one particular coach can save us" nonsense has to end. It was stupid when it was an over the hill Butch, it was stupid as **** when Leach was presented, it's stupid as **** that the torch has been passed to Mario. Mario is solid, but he's limited, and the odds would be stacked against him here, when one looks at his skill set. It's time to look outside of the bubble.

Ehhh, coaches improve. I think Mario is one that clearly has. His team plays HARD for him & he’d recruit very well down here. He earned the right this year to be tops of our list. He’d never ever ever come to this dumpster fire though so it’s irrelevant. He’s out of our league.

Advertisement
Ehhh, coaches improve. I think Mario is one that clearly has. His team plays HARD for him & he’d recruit very well down here. He earned the right this year to be tops of our list. He’d never ever ever come to this dumpster fire though so it’s irrelevant. He’s out of our league.

Coaches don't improve that much. Mario, like Ed O were miserable failures at their previous stops, but in this college football world where "Richest Team Wins", are able to succeed, despite not really doing anything. It's a case of the organization winning, and someone being along for the ride. Mario works at Oregon, because the one thing he can do, he can do there at a high level with little interference. Mario can outtalent most of the Pac-12, and he can leverage the financial resources provided by Phil Knight to great effect. He couldn't even outtalent teams in the Sun Belt, despite having a significantly better local talent pool.

He's still a mediocre coach, because any time the talent is anywhere near equal, Oregon tends to lose. He consistently gets worked by superior coaches, even those that work with inferior talent.

Barely in 2020, by less than 1 point. In 2019 Mario's class was 2 points higher. The overall point is that they are generally recruiting better, they won their conference while we can't even win the weakest division in any power 5 conference, and they won an actual meaningful bowl while we've only won 1 bowl in what seems like forever, losing to the likes of Louisiana Tech. I have not clamored for Mario myself. But for OP and others not understanding why, it's pretty clear when you look at any metric.

They're ahead of us on every site's rankings too, not just the composite. 247 has them at 13 & Miami 22. ESPN has them at 13 & Miami at 19. Rivals has them at 9 & Miami at 16. Oh but our average recruit is 0.07 better (that's the actual difference) than their's, so Mario sucks.

This has nothing to do with class rankings. These people will do anything they can to "prove" Mario isn't any good. Right now it's "wait until next year when he doesn't have this team". But if he wins 10 games next year, they'll talk **** about him because he didn't win 11.

Meanwhile.. In Coral Gables..

Advertisement
Back