Whats our record

Advertisement
Urban to Florida was a better situation because Ron Zook was a sh*tty coach but that MF could recruit with the best and left that Florida team with talent.
Ole Zook must have been a corch. He list with having Fedora and Strong as his coordinators.

10-2 if TVD plays lights out. 9-3 if he plays above average. 8-4 if he has a “sophomore slump”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'd say you have to wait until after the spring game to get any kind of feel as to how the season will look.

Who will come in from the transfer portal? Will anyone else go? Will Gattis tailor his offense for Miami's talent or will he force the run-heavy offense which was successful at Michigan with its solid OL, but would it work with Miami's weak OL? The same basic questions can be asked of Steele as well.

10-2. Obviously the losses are to A&M and Clemson, but to those picking more than 2 losses, who do you think we're losing to?
Mario has lost a game or games to teams he has out talented every season (as almost all coaches do almost every year). Unranked Arizona and Arizona state in 18 and 19, Oregon state and cal in 20, and Utah in 21. I think his staff is stronger now than at Oregon though, so that mitigates some of the chance of losses. He will need at least a couple strong classes before sweeping the games we are favored in should be expected IMO. So basically any coastal team with a pulse shouldn’t be taken lightly, for now and rivalry games are always less predictable. But I think he is going to recruit better at Miami than Oregon, so I think he will get there and we can start expecting 10+ wins in ‘24 and beyond.

For ‘22 I could see 8-4 with a couple injuries, but think 9-3 is not unrealistic if we are lucky on injuries. 10-2 pretty unlikely but not impossible.

Don’t forget the roster is still like 65/85 Manny guys.

Last edited:
If we shore up DE, LB, OL & CB in the Portal, I could see us going 10-2. At this point, additions via the Portal will likely be the #1 swing factor that determines whether we're 10-2 or 8-4.

The other key to a good record will be beating A&M. If we do that (and I think it's distinctly possible with the right Portal additions), then we might get on a roll similar to what Richt did in his best year. We've got to play to win that game (not be overly conservative) & announce to CFB that we're on the road back to greatness. Lose against A&M and 9-3 or 8-4 become much more likely outcomes.

Other significant swing factors:

Tackling: I'm expecting a major improvement in tackling under Mario, Steele and Strong. Surely the team will be more physical & sure tackling will be a must to earn PT. I can't see those three tolerating anything but sure tackling. However, can they completely eliminate the bad habits developed under the prior crew in a six-month period?

Young DEs: will we get serious production out of any of the young DEs? My sense is that we need a couple stud pass rushers in the portal;

Chaney: we need him back, healthy and at full speed;

Mallory: will he take charge & play with a high level of confidence or have a slow start? Will he have more of a nasty streak & be more physical when blocking? That would make a huge difference (and help protect TVD);

Thad Franklin: really hope he works super hard this offseason & comes in ready to truck some cowp@kes & other opponents throughout the season. A ripped & healthy Franklin would be huge for us;

Ladson & the 3 Amigos: Which Ladson will we get? Hoping he has a Rambo type season. I think our three young, talented receivers will emerge & play a significant role also.

Arroyo: I think the TEs are going to feast in Gattis' offense. As much as I want to see Will have a monster season & get drafted, Arroyo's gotta play more if Mallory isn't getting it done as a pass catcher and/or blocker. Arroyo's a major weapon & needs to be used more.

We're going to be somewhere between good & great on offense. TVD will ball out. We have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. The Defense will decide how far this team goes.

Advertisement
Heart says 10-2 regular season unless we get a very good portal player at LB and 1 or 2 at OL
Past experience says 9-3 with the portal players above or 8-4 without portal help.
I do have faith in Mario but with all new coaches and a new Defensive and Offensive scheme being put in place in Marios first year there will be some challenges

In their first full year:
Kirby Smart - UGA - 8-5
Nick Saban - LSU - 8-4
Nick Saban - Ala - 7-6
Dabo Swinney - CLE - 9-5 (went 4-3 the season before)

You got to remember that Mario doesn't have a roster of his guys yet.
And it's that reason why I think Citizen will get a ton of snaps this season... New Coaches like to play guys they selected.... No knock on anyone we have but it just always plays out that way...

9-3 really seems like the floor to me.

Could be 11-1.

8-4 would need some explanation.
Exactly!!! I say 10-2 minimum really. Miami only face 2 teams with more experience, better talent, and that may be equally coached. Accepting a fall to ONE less inferior team could happen, but not 2. Mario should go 10-2. If he goes 8-4… that would need some explanation.

Advertisement
For people claiming that Mario doesn’t have the roster he wants, that would be to compete against Bama, OSU, UGA… not Duke, VTech, UNC, and GT. Miami’s roster is the second best roster in the ACC. We have talent despair over every team on our schedule except Clemson and TAMU. So stop with that Mario doesn’t have the talent BS.

In their first full year:
Kirby Smart - UGA - 8-5
Nick Saban - LSU - 8-4
Nick Saban - Ala - 7-6
Dabo Swinney - CLE - 9-5 (went 4-3 the season before)

You got to remember that Mario doesn't have a roster of his guys yet.
In their first full year
Lincoln Riley- Oklahoma - 12-2
Urban Meyer - OSU - 12-0
Jim McElwain - UF - 10-2 (regular season) lose in SEC CHAMPIONSHIP
Justin Fuente - VTech - 10-3 (regular season) lose in ACC CHAMPIONSHIP
Ryan Day - OSU - 13-1
Dan Mullen - UF - 10-3
Jimbo Fisher - FSU - 10-2 - lose in the ACC championship

Last edited:
As the team currently stands I’d say 8-4 or 9-3. If we add some pieces like a starting caliber OL, CB and LB, I’d probably go 9-3 or 10-2. I don’t think we have the trenches to compete with A&M or Clemson just yet.

Advertisement
Back