What's next?

View as article
. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.
Another thing I wonder...And obviously there were large holes on this team talent wise. BUT

In spring/camps/summer workouts/August...Is there just too many chefs to spoil the soup right now

I mean we literally had Reed/Taylor/Orgeron, etc...All on the field at one time. And it led to the worst season at UM in a long time...Again, not saying it was because of these guys, it wasn't. But after a loss or two many upperclassmen seemed to tune everyone right out.

Advertisement
There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.
Trying to be positive but am I the only one who wonders why Mario was hired?

Advertisement
This season felt like a bag of peanut M&M's falling into the dashboard of a classic Mustang. Or maybe hitting a deer on a country road.
It’s going to be ok, they’ve got a thin candy shell

Why hasn’t Gattis been fired yet? Seriously, what possible reason could exist in dragging it out.

He either

1. Is procrastinating on it due to discomfort. Seems unlikely to me and would be a terrible sign.
Or 2. Doesn’t want the optics to be that he’s acquiescing to fan demands so wants to delay it to make it seem like he arrived at the choice himself after some faux self reflection, which is also a terrible sign imo.

There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.
On point

On point as usual DMONEY. Thanks for everything you do for/in this FREE website. I always have appreciated(CANESINSIGHT) for the best Canes News/ commentaries that everyone brings. Will never pay for any of those other sites no matter if they give me the $1 dollar special lol. I'm a 10 year member and Canes Fan since Cir. 83. I used to just come in just to read the comments and articles. Never wanted to comment too much as everyone can see but I still love to read everyone's opinion. Thank you all keep it going. GO CANES!

Advertisement
Why hasn’t Gattis been fired yet? Seriously, what possible reason could exist in dragging it out.

He either

1. Is procrastinating on it due to discomfort. Seems unlikely to me and would be a terrible sign.
Or 2. Doesn’t want the optics to be that he’s acquiescing to fan demands so wants to delay it to make it seem like he arrived at the choice himself after some faux self reflection, which is also a terrible sign imo.
Mark Stoops, at UK, fired his OC today after only one year at Kentucky. There is no excuse for Mario.

who would you hire as new DC, that group was just as bad
Defense unless it’s a homer in I would probably keep Steele probably not a well liked decision but I think I’m year 2 they will be better. He’s been good everywhere but here haha but if I had my pick and it was 100% to happen Will Muschamp but more realistic I would take a man who is currently jobless Jim Leonard

Another thing I wonder...And obviously there were large holes on this team talent wise. BUT

In spring/camps/summer workouts/August...Is there just too many chefs to spoil the soup right now

I mean we literally had Reed/Taylor/Orgeron, etc...All on the field at one time. And it led to the worst season at UM in a long time...Again, not saying it was because of these guys, it wasn't. But after a loss or two many upperclassmen seemed to tune everyone right out.
Let's say Julia Childs was tasked with cooking a meal out of Horse crap.... She had a ton of fine ingredients to add but the main ingredient was still Horse Crap...No matter how it gets prepared, the dish when served, is still gonna taste like Horse Crap....
bart simpson episode 3 GIF

FYI, you shoot for the stars and land on the moon, not the opposite. The nearest star is 380x further away than the moon is to us. And the next nearest star after that is like 105 MILLION times further away than the moon is to us… so yeah

Advertisement

He either

Are those really the only two possibilities?

D$ I appreciate the scoop, but I just want to know when Gattis is getting fired. I’ll hang up and listen.
When Gattis came in, he said, we will take what the defense gives us…WHAT THA??? MIAMI football = take what the defense dont give you!

Ferman said something big was happening today. So you should have expected nothing was going to happen.

Need to man up and admit Ferman got it right. First time in a decade or more. He’s still a bytch who betrayed the program supporting that Yahoo “journalist” who wrote the Shapiro story.

Advertisement
Defense unless it’s a homer in I would probably keep Steele probably not a well liked decision but I think I’m year 2 they will be better. He’s been good everywhere but here haha but if I had my pick and it was 100% to happen Will Muschamp but more realistic I would take a man who is currently jobless Jim Leonard
i would take Muschamp, would be a tough pull as his kid is on UGA squad

Oh, yeah. I’ve been wanting Gattis canned since they announced his hiring.
Harbaughs offense period at Michigan....... if i saw the QB look over to the sidelines 1 more time this year i was going to throw a brick thru my TV

Advertisement
Back