What's next?

View as article
This is going to be a real challenge for all teams with all this NIL bs... Who actually wants to PLAY FOOTBALL, WIN, AND BUST THEIR *** TO GET TO THE LEAGUE vs. who wants to get a quick bag to get on their feet and "build a brand" (I hate that f'in phrase) .

I wouldn't go that far just yet. Great game day coach...No, not by any means. But I wouldn't quite say "will always play behind their talent" just yet.

I am in the minority here. Putting him in that dime lb role...unless you are blitzing him, which you did note he gets to do more of...Is WHERE HE GETS EXPOSED in space, on the edges, and in the intermediate area. I think his most natural position is actually free safety. Let him roam and use ball skills and take off heads! But KK pretty much has that area locked up.

Yes the penalties are getting ridiculous with him. And he needs to start being benched for them. He's not learning

I agree with you overall though. There's a lot of talent there, definitely can't give up on him.

I would like to see a combo of all-stars and young go getters. We need a brilliant young offensive mind though. That doesn't mean run and shoot...It means balance, creativity, keeping physicality, and CHUNK PLAYS in both run and pass.

No one dimensional extremes...No Air Raid, 55 passes a game but No 3 yards and a cloud of dust...But a full ****nal from somewhere in the middle. I think that's what he thought he was getting in Gattis. It didn't work

And it is an alarming that his hires don't look too hot overall...That's as important an aspect as any for a HC/CEO
if CMC did not have an LT contract the entire group would be looking for work. we were poorly coached all year not 1 group showed any kind of improvement . what ever equity he had is gone....

Advertisement
No He doesn't, a decent D-Line doesn't get pushed in the laps of the LBs on a consistent basis. Until we fix the issues on both lines, then it doesn't matter what we run.
agree , thought we would improve with SEC guy as S&C chief but we were sad upfront again

In regards to the first point about “shock therapy” on offense, fans need to understand there’s no coach or scheme that’s going to be able to immediately get us competitive with the elite teams. We’re just not there on a talent level. The good news is, we rarely play elite teams. Pretty much 90% of our opponents have lesser talent. I’m not worried about whether we’ll be able to drop 40 on Georgia in year one. I want us to be able to drop 40 on UVA, Pitt, Duke, Georgia Tech and all the other teams we play every year that have zero talent advantage over us. Once Mario can string together some top flight recruiting classes, we can start competing with the elite programs. Let’s work on beating the teams we’re more talented than now and build towards beating the top teams in the years coming.
100% agree but we need some staff changes and CMC needs to revaluate his role

Advertisement
Starting to seem like it going to be another quiet lame *** day. On another note I've had 2 movements today. God, Mario is slow...the worst offense in probably our history and this man hasn't fired him yet. Feel like this Gatti offense cost us the top guys we wanted this year. I I think with a good offense that showed even a little life we would have got guys like innis / Baxter just my opinion but it's hurting to keep him. no parent or coach truly wants to send them into that offense, sure nil helps but you know what's better? A good offense putting kids in the NFL plus nil. Anyways that's my ***** post of the day

Advertisement
Starting to seem like it going to be another quiet lame *** day. On another note I've had 2 movements today. God, Mario is slow...the worst offense in probably our history and this man hasn't fired him yet. Feel like this Gatti offense cost us the top guys we wanted this year. I I think with a good offense that showed even a little life we would have got guys like innis / Baxter just my opinion but it's hurting to keep him. no parent or coach truly wants to send them into that offense, sure nil helps but you know what's better? A good offense putting kids in the NFL plus nil. Anyways that's my ***** post of the day

Our offense reflected the same speed Mario can make decisions.

It's like watching pine tree resin seep out and race to the ground.

There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.
A lot to digest here. Mario needs to earn his $8 million salary big time with the recruiting and portal over the next 2 months.
JW isn't good I know you like him, but tape doesn't lie. He has over 20 games now of film and he's what he is at this point.

I feel like next year will be more of the same. I'm not optimistic as most are on here. I hope Mario proves me wrong.

A lot to digest here. Mario needs to earn his $8 million salary big time with the recruiting and portal over the next 2 months.
JW isn't good I know you like him, but tape doesn't lie. He has over 20 games now of film and he's what he is at this point.

I feel like next year will be more of the same. I'm not optimistic as most are on here. I hope Mario proves me wrong.
I mean he grades out well so he's doing something right and hes always around the ball, yes his tackling leaves a lot to be desired BUT I think a nm other year in the same system will significantly help

Advertisement
There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.
qcoocjBhD5Zle.gif

Advertisement

1.I agree with some of this but that Lashlee style offense isn't winning any championships. The 4 teams in the playoffs last year and probably this year have offenses closer to ours than Lashlee.

2. This is only a all-star in the eyes of Miami fans because we're comparing it to what we've been used to the past 20 years. This a good staff of coaches don't get me wrong but too many people overhyped this staff because of what I said in the 1st sentence. We have a OC who was on the hot seat before having a big year with winning the Broyles Award and a DC whose been demoted by Saban in the past and fired by Dabo. That alone should of disqualified any all star staff talk before the season even started.

Last edited:
I think one of the best points DMoney makes is the need for "focused on football". I'm far from convinced you can coach this, impose it with discipline (although leadership would help) or get it from the Portal.

When we talk about how we have more talent than Team X or Y (or not), I think folks wrongly exclude "focused on football" from being part of "talent". Maybe it's not technique or natural ability, but along with deployment, scheme, and effort, this surely makes a huge difference (as we have largely seen.)

"Focused on football" doesn't mean NIL, and non-football social and cultural past-times, or anything that detracts from practice and prep and dedicated attitude and effort. I expect (and hope for) large improvement in 2023.

Advertisement
Back