What's lost about Diaz at Texas

MiamiJoe

Sophomore
The talent level had dropped in 2013 when he was fired as Texas had ZERO players drafted in 2014 draft lending credence to the fact that their talent level had dropped.

Advertisement
2012 and 2013 he didn't get to fully do things his way.

In 2011 he did and they had a Top 11 Defense.

I'm not fully sold but I think '12 and '13 aren't Indicative of who he truly is

The talent level had dropped in 2013 when he was fired as Texas had ZERO players drafted in 2014 draft lending credence to the fact that their talent level had dropped.

When you try and add context to stats they become useless for liars.

Exactly, when the talent was there is when he had his best year ever. It declined so bad that you can see the mess they are still in today. The 1 time that Diaz had top talent with 4 and 5 stars he was 11th in the country for Total D. At Mississippi State he had 3 stars and likely 2 stars at LA Tech still produced some solid defenses.

Advertisement
NEVER in his life has he coached the talent that he will at the U. Under the proper tutelage, there are 3 1st or 2nd Rounders on the D-Line ALONE!!!!! Not to mention a linebacker who is a like magnet to the football and two other backers who are legitimate freaks.

He's never coached anything like this and if he's as smart as those in the know say he is, he will adjust some of his stuff to fit the talent.

This job has always been about the coaches developing the insane talent and letting it flourish.

Was the talent level so much worse than BYU that BYU should be expected to rush for 550 yards?

Advertisement
Where were all this Manny Diaz fans when a thread was put up suggesting him and not a single person upvoted it or concurred it was a good idea?????

I know a lotta folks downvoted it. But not a SINGLE person wanted this guy......

.....until the shiny new Do No Wrong coach hired him.

I'm not comfortable excusing Diaz based on similar criteria that we indicted Charlie Strong with. The case for Diaz should be limited to his current stint at Miss St and possibly reinforced by his previous one there.

Can you elaborate on this?

"In 2012, Texas shifted away from the two-read toward more press-man, in order to suit DB coach Duane Akina's vision of Texas as DB U. Between this, the lack of safeties who could be relied upon to erase mistakes and Texas' struggles to replace 2011's good LB tandem, everything snowballed.

After Diaz landed in Louisiana Tech, two-read immediately reassumed its place."

Mississippi State's new defense is designed for maximum disruption - SBNation.com

Was the talent level so much worse than BYU that BYU should be expected to rush for 550 yards?

Watch that game. Count the missed tackles (bring an abacus). Texas had more country club, entitlement minded players than randy had.

That said iirc his last year had major game time adjustment issues.

Advertisement
The do no wrong coach??

You mean the guy who fired Swasey?
The one who fired his roomate Kehoe?
The guy who got a Savage DL coach in coach kool the likes the U has never ssen before?
Or maybe the guy who consistently won 10+ games in the SEC competing wth Bama, LSU, Auburn , Florida ect?
Or the guy who brought in a Rb coach who produces first rounders??

The facts are these:

Diaz uses a hyper aggressive defense that favors the Florida athlete

Diaz failed at Texas as it was a sinking ship situation, UT was a dumpster fire

Diaz actually made MISS ST.. excuse me.. SORRY *** Miss St. into a top team. In a state where u have LSU cleaning up and a bunch of college gameday powerhouses. Now you get this animal and pair him up with a beast DL coach that will maximize player development with a savage S/C coach (Ivey perhaps) and the result?? ABSOLUTE DOMINATION.

But u have been goldenized Golden Showers. This man has cojones to do what needs to be done, and we will win under Richt, players will be developed. Stop with the phoniness.

What's lost is that Mack Brown started sucking as a the head of a CFB program.

Coach Richt saw what hes done since on a real life level and believes he's the perfect man for the job. Its different than what [MENTION=7131]FullyERicht[/MENTION] does which is just obsess over whatever Google brings up.

I think what's lost at Texas is the most obvious thing of all. Mack brown hired greg robinson to "oversee" the defensive side and advise diaz because before the season ever started the hot seat was burning and he knew he'd have to make a change to save his job. after the disaster against byu, mack made the change (which was probably already promised to robinson).

I'm concerned with how he's done against elite offenses but it makes me happy when I realize we don't play any elite offenses. There will be no Oklahoma's or Baylor's on our schedule every year (teams with typically top ten offenses that he was known for struggling against). .

Football Outsiders has him at 19th in passing efficiency this year which is very promising considering now he'll have coach kool manning the pass rush.

some expecting a "home run hire" might be disappointed however I don't think the hiring of coach kuligowski can be brought up enough. When Diaz was most successful he ran a 2 read system that relied heavily on the safeties picking up the slack on zone blitzes. If the line couldn't rush effectively he ran into issues. I think Richt sees how well coach Kool and diaz can work together effectively to make sure this is successful. I will concede to the notion that we must get a proven db coach with Diaz as it's been a weakness of his defense in the past.

after looking up everything I could find on the guy, he seemed to be more successful while running a conservative scheme at LA Tech. I fully expect our defense to be aggressive here however, with a vastly improved d line front, it seems like he''ll be able to trust a 4 man effective rush under coach kool more often than having to blitz 5 or 6 consistently. This will allow him to achieve the same level of success without as much risk.

The man also has consistently turned every program around defensively starting year one and has a history of forced turnover success. His third down defense (ranking 37th last year) and red zone Defense being in the top 10 nationally have me very excited. I think his numbers would have been better to look at on paper had Miss State not run such a fast paced offense and controlled the clock a little better

NCAAF Football - Defensive Rankings & Statistics - January, 2016 | Odds Shark
^
here Miss St. is ranked 36th in adjusted Defensive statistics. Not "elite" but no pushover in the SEC against some legit teams (cam cameron lane kiffen etc calling plays against) all while being in the SEC west of all divisions and consistently over matched in athletes

also a good indicator of how they played --> cfbstats.com - 2015 Mississippi State Bulldogs

some points:
1)Opponents pts/game :23.2
2)redzone defense top 10 in the nation and 20% better than d'onofrio and co.
3)rush yard per play a whole yard less than where we were currently sitting with D'onofrio and with lesser athletes
4)third down defense : opponents converted 35% of the time, slightly better than our 39% under no d.

Also I know this thread is about Diaz but Kool plays a heavy role in Diaz success here so I want to throw some stuff out there that might encourage some people who are worried.

This metric is strictly on D line FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 NCAA DEFENSIVE LINE STATS

with no seniors, Coach Kool's mizzou line ranked:

Adjusted Line Yards: One of only two opponent-adjusted numbers on the page, this aligns with the ALY figure FO tracks for the NFL and is presented on a scale in which 100.0 is perfectly average, above 100 is good, below 100 is bad. RANK 28

Standard Downs Line Yards per Carry: The raw, unadjusted per-carry line yardage for a team on standard downs (first down, second-and-7 or fewer, third-and-4 or fewer, fourth-and-4 or fewer). RANK 31

Passing Downs Line Yards per Carry: The same unadjusted averages for rushing on passing downs. RANK 8

Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when five yards are available) that gain at least five yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak. RANK 13

Power Success Rate: This is the same as on the pro side -- percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. RANK 51

Stuff Rate: Same as STUFFED on the pro side -- percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage. RANK 6
^the most important one imo because it creates third and longs and plays hand in hand with a #2 rank nationally in TFL

Mizzou's Defensive line, led by Josh Augusta, is causing havoc - Rock M Nation

long story short, I have my reservations about the guy. Personally wanted Aranda, however can't blame the admin for how much $$ LSU threw at the guy. We wanted an attacking 4-3 coach and we got it. He's had great success and also some failure. With the right coaching staff in place to assist him (kool and a solid DB coach), better athletes, better time of possession on offense, and a weaker division I see no reason why he can't be successful here.

also something that i'm not sure has been brought up but Richt has no problem firing coordinators when necessary in his past. If diaz can't cut it he'll be gone we can be assured of that. Then maybe kool will get the chance to take over the defense

Last edited:
Advertisement
The one thing his players at UT and other stops have all said is that he keeps it simple and allows the players to play fast and instinctual. One LB from Texas (I think Hicks) even said he doesn't overthink things, he keeps it simple for us to understand.

Recruiting on defense should see a unbelievable boost under Diaz.

His aggressive 4-3 defense is the antithesis of Dnofrio's bend but don't break 3-4.

Advertisement
Back