What's a realistic finish for this class?

We aren't recruiting Sherit. Much bigger fish.

Probably 18 is a good # to start with but there's obviously a long way to go.

I've gotten mixed signals on Sherit but, personally, I want him in the class. Especially considering the burgeoning Tampa pipeline.

Advertisement
This is what i want:

1 QB - Olsen
2 RB - Collins and one other
2 WR - AJL and Coley (if Coley cant make it, save the ship for another position)
1 TE - Dobard
4 OL - Kirkland, Kerr (i hope he ends up at OT ala Fox), and two others
2 DT - Bryant and Bostwick
1 DE - A true DE, not a hybrid
2 LB - Thomas and Grace
2 S - Burns and Carter
1 CB - Just one of Hargreaves/Likely/Alexander

That's 18 kids, maybe only 17 if Coley doesnt qualify. This also leaves room for 1-3 more kids to fill out the class, eg another DT, a second TE, etc.

The funny thing is is that everyone wants so many DTs, LBs, WRs, TEs, etc, when in reality, Golden has loaded up enough to where we actually have deep depth charts at these positions. Unless we see lots of attrition and academic nonqualifiers (very possible since to get the 20 man class Golden has mentioned, we will need to lose at least 8 kids to transfer/early NFL/etc), we dont "need" more than 18-20 kids to fill out the depth charts and get roster balance. The only position that is truly deficient is safety, and we have potential looming problems at K, OL and RB, and that's about it.
Is it just me or does Hargreaves, Alexander, and Coley seem like long shots? I know we were saying the same thing about Tracy Howard this time last year, but these three really seem to be disinterested in UM. Somebody, anybody give me some hope.

Is it just me or does Hargreaves, Alexander, and Coley seem like long shots? I know we were saying the same thing about Tracy Howard this time last year, but these three really seem to be disinterested in UM. Somebody, anybody give me some hope.
I feel the same way. But like you mentioned, Howard appeared just as, if not more, indifferent about UM than these 3. I've tried searching for an interview Golden did last fall, but can't find it. In it he said something to the effect of, "the importance of building a great signing class is to do it quietly." He said this in like September or October of last year, so it was supposedly before Howard, Bush, and McCord were in the fold. Maybe Coley and Alexander are playing the game the like the previously mentioned guys from last year. We'll find out. If Hargreaves comes here then crown Golden. I mean, his dad coaches at USF and was unceremoniously fired from here.

I've gotten mixed signals on Sherit but, personally, I want him in the class. Especially considering the burgeoning Tampa pipeline.

Yeah seemed like he was a definite in this class but then we backed off. Not sure if maybe we are missing some guys or just evaluating Sherit more and are turning up the heat. I like him a lot too and don't see much else out there but who knows with this staff (like Dobard).

I feel the same way. But like you mentioned, Howard appeared just as, if not more, indifferent about UM than these 3. I've tried searching for an interview Golden did last fall, but can't find it. In it he said something to the effect of, "the importance of building a great signing class is to do it quietly." He said this in like September or October of last year, so it was supposedly before Howard, Bush, and McCord were in the fold. Maybe Coley and Alexander are playing the game the like the previously mentioned guys from last year. We'll find out. If Hargreaves comes here then crown Golden. I mean, his dad coaches at USF and was unceremoniously fired from here.

After Howard I swore I would never say we had "zero shot" at a guy but Hargreaves seems to be close to that.

Advertisement

I believe everyone has a mixed opinion on Sherit, I am not a fan of him personally and thought there was better options than him. Although it doesn't seem like Miami is that interested in the Florida's DE's imo.

Advertisement

I believe everyone has a mixed opinion on Sherit, I am not a fan of him personally and thought there was better options than him. Although it doesn't seem like Miami is that interested in the Florida's DE's imo.

Any other names you like? DE isn't a big need this year but there isn't a lot of names out there either.

Any other names you like? DE isn't a big need this year but there isn't a lot of names out there either.

Stacy Thomas I really like but I understand the concerns with he's not tall and might be a rushing LB on the next level. Paul James is another kid who just looks like a big time talent, but staff has really backed off for some reason. Jeremy Benjamin from MaCArthur could be a Marcus Robinson type of player for us imo, and I really thought when spring evaluations started Miami would jump all over Alvonte Bell he's really going under the radar it seems(maybe cuz of grades) he committed to Kentucky a week or so ago. If he goes to one of the camps I would seriously think he'd get an offer.

I think your right that DE might not be a big need in this class so I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on taking one unless it was a top guy like Tim Williams or the Bowers kid from NJ. DTs is the most important and anyways I think you could debate Bostwick being athletic enough to play that strong side DE position.

Last edited:
1. Kevin Olsen QB
2. Ray Lewis III RB
3. Alex Collins RB
4. Jeremy Kerr TE
5. Standish Dobard TE
6. Keith Bryant DT
7. Quay Bain DT
8. Jaynard Bostwick DT
9. Matthew Thomas OLB
10. Artie Burns S
11. Jamal Carter S
12. Denver Kirkland G
13. Jermaine Grace OLB
14. Scott Pagano, DT
15. Jordan Cunningham WR
16. Alex Gall G
17. Angelo Jean-Louis WR
18. Stacey Coley WR
19. Jordan Sherit DE

How many are we taking this year?

Added some people I think we end up getting.

Well so far I got Gall correct, hopefully I can get the rest of them right.

Advertisement
Answer this... AJL never got in for 2012 so does that mean we still have an open scholie for 2012? And 2 scholie player are gone so does that open us up a little 2 accept a couple more players?

1 QB - Olsen
1 RB - Collins (2014 class will be full of RB)
2 WR - AJL and Coley
2 TE - Dobard and (Travis Johnson might be a WR)
4 OL - Kirkland, Gall, McDermott, and (Kerr might be a TE)
3 DT - Bryant, Bostwick and Bain
1 DE - Sherit or Tim Williams (best guy)
3 LB - Thomas and Grace/George Williams or Deeb
2 S - Burns and Carter
1 CB - best CB

That's 20 if we get only 18 then no CB and no DE! If RL3 uses a scholie he can take the CB spot!

Last edited:
1 QB - Olsen
2 WR - AJL and Coley
2 S - Burns and Carter
1 CB - best CB

That's 20 if we get only 18 then no CB and no DE! If RL3 uses a scholie he can take the CB spot!

McDermott is 2014.

Advertisement
1 QB - Olsen
2 WR - AJL and Coley
2 S - Burns and Carter
1 CB - best CB

McDermott is 2014.

Well the best OL we can get will be fine...

Advertisement
Back