What's a realistic finish for this class?

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
1. Kevin Olsen QB
2. Ray Lewis III RB
3. Alex Collins RB
4. Jeremy Kerr TE
5. Standish Dobard TE
6. Keith Bryant DT
7. Quay Bain DT
8. Jaynard Bostwick DT
9. Matthew Thomas OLB
10. Artie Burns S
11. Jamal Carter S
12. Denver Kirkland G
13. Jermaine Grace OLB
14. Jordan Sherit DE
15. Jordan Cunningham WR
16. Michael Deeb MLB
17. Angelo Jean-Louis WR

How many are we taking this year?

Advertisement
Really impossible to say at this point in June....every year there are a TON of prospects that emerge out of nowhere once the season is over....guys we never heard of, and some that will be ranked highly. For example, guys like Gabriel Terry, Antonio Crawford, Jacoby Briscoe, Dequan Ivory, and Rayshawn Jenkins were unknown at this point last year....I would expect this same this cycle.

I will say that of the guys already identified, we MUST have:

Denver Kirkland
Matthew Thomas
Jamal Carter
WR (Cunningham/Coley)
Bostwick

Advertisement
We aren't recruiting Sherit. Much bigger fish.

Probably 18 is a good # to start with but there's obviously a long way to go.

Really impossible to say at this point in June....every year there are a TON of prospects that emerge out of nowhere once the season is over....guys we never heard of, and some that will be ranked highly. For example, guys like Gabriel Terry, Antonio Crawford, Jacoby Briscoe, Dequan Ivory, and Rayshawn Jenkins were unknown at this point last year....I would expect this same this cycle.

Denver Kirkland
Matthew Thomas
Jamal Carter
WR (Cunningham/Coley)
Bostwick

Must haves are spot on!

Advertisement
Sherit definitely being recruited. We may have guys higher on the board than him, but they are definitely keeping up with him

Advertisement
1. Kevin Olsen QB
2. Ray Lewis III RB
3. Alex Collins RB
4. Jeremy Kerr TE
5. Standish Dobard TE
6. Keith Bryant DT
7. Quay Bain DT
8. Jaynard Bostwick DT
9. Matthew Thomas OLB
10. Artie Burns S
11. Jamal Carter S
12. Denver Kirkland G
13. Jermaine Grace OLB
14. Scott Pagano, DT
15. Jordan Cunningham WR
16. Alex Gall G
17. Angelo Jean-Louis WR
18. Stacey Coley WR
19. Jordan Sherit DE

How many are we taking this year?

Added some people I think we end up getting.

I think it ends up looking something like this position wise:

1 QB
2 RB
1 WR
2 TE
3 OL
1 DE
3 DT
2 LB
1 CB
2 S

That's 18. I think we find a way to get to 20 so add 2 of the best athletes where ever. I'm still hoping that Ray Lewis pays his sons way.

Advertisement
Who are the big-fish DEs we have a shot at?

Tim Williams?

Good question. I don't think the staff looks at Sherit like some of the recruiting rankings list him. Depends on how certain guys are viewed I guess as far as future positions. DE/OLB is always a tough one to call with a lot of these guys.

This is what i want:

1 QB - Olsen
2 RB - Collins and one other
2 WR - AJL and Coley (if Coley cant make it, save the ship for another position)
1 TE - Dobard
4 OL - Kirkland, Kerr (i hope he ends up at OT ala Fox), and two others
2 DT - Bryant and Bostwick
1 DE - A true DE, not a hybrid
2 LB - Thomas and Grace
2 S - Burns and Carter
1 CB - Just one of Hargreaves/Likely/Alexander

That's 19 kids, maybe only 18 if Coley doesnt qualify. This also leaves room for 1-2 more kids to fill out the class, eg another DT, a second TE, etc.

The funny thing is is that everyone wants so many DTs, LBs, WRs, TEs, etc, when in reality, Golden has loaded up enough to where we actually have deep depth charts at these positions. Unless we see lots of attrition and academic nonqualifiers (very possible since to get the 20 man class Golden has mentioned, we will need to lose at least 8 kids to transfer/early NFL/etc), we dont "need" more than 18-20 kids to fill out the depth charts and get roster balance. The only position that is truly deficient is safety, and we have potential looming problems at K, OL and RB, and that's about it.

Last edited:

Denver Kirkland
Matthew Thomas
Jamal Carter
WR (Cunningham/Coley)
Bostwick

is already happening. standish dobard?

Advertisement
Back