What written-off senior will make some noise this year?

Whoa, LuCanes. I have to disagree with you there on Marcus Maxey. Buddy made a few starts at Nickeback in 04' but for the most part was nonexistant his entire career at UM. People had totally given up on this guy because of the Devin Hester hype at DB. He comes in and not only starts his senior year but virtually locks down his side of the field for the better part of 2005. AND parlayed that into a small career with the Kansas City Cheifs IIRC. And buddy got drafted in the 5th round!!!!! Lol. Maxey was nowhere to be found the years he was there from 2001-2003. Now of course its hard to do when you have the likes of Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, PBuch, Rumph, etc in front of you your whole career but to say ANYONE expected him to play as well as he did his senior year is being a little naive. No disrespect and JMO.

He was the first sub in as a Corner and played a bunch of snaps his junior season. He was hardly forgotten, but I guess it's relative. I actually thought he'd be drafted higher. (He did, too)

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'll go with Jassid82's picks.

Offense - Asante Cleveland. Was injured in 2011 and last year I think he put on too much weight or something. Just wasn't moving around the same as before. I think/hope he bounces back and provides a nice 2nd TE to go with Walford.

Defense - Dyron Dye. He instantly became the best size/speed option at the position. Should help against the run immediately and wouldn't be surprised if he's amongst the leaders in sacks (which might not being saying much, but still).

this 100%

Not that he's a written off senior, but I think Morris will solidify himself as one of the top 10 QB's in the country. He didn't play well in the big games last year(not terrible,but not well). I think he'll have rise up and with games against UF and FSU, he will prove to be the difference maker.

If I'm right, we win 10 games. If he doesn't arc upward, well we will be happy for 8 wins.

Advertisement
Dyron Dye will perform better than Shayon Green.

Shayon Green led the team in tackles last year.

Those tackles may have been 5 yards down the field, but he led the team in them nonetheless.
I wouldn't call any play he made last year impactful.

He was making 40 degree day-tackles (Wire reference).

I'm just saying you can't give the Davon Johnson award to a guy who was a regular starter, and the team leader in tackles. It would be more of a surprise for him to not get any burn at all, and to be passed up on the depth chart completely, than it would for him make a splash.

Advertisement
Who I hope it'll be: Luther Robinson and Dye.

Who I think it'll be: Cornelius. He's showed small flashes before of good play.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for Cain too.

Advertisement
I don't know if anyone on that list really counts as a "written off" reclamation type dude like a Ben "Milk Carton" Jones, who had gone missing for 3 years, or Davon Johnson, who everyone forgot was even on the team.

I guess Asante Cleveland would fit the bill, but I don't expect anything out of him. Of course, I didn't expect anything out of Davon either, and he became my favorite WR last year. Seems like if you expect them to break out or even have an inkling of expectations for them as seniors, then they don't count as true reclamation projects like Ben or DJ, who were both guys that almost everyone wanted cut to free up scholarships for freshmens.

Where does Wheeler play? As of now there is no starting spot for him, he could contribute as a swing guard but can that really be considered a break out?

I agree. But, Jeremy Lewis got a solid amount of burn last season and did really well for us (he was another emerging senior contributor). I was thinking Wheeler would likely fill that role in addition to backing up at center.

I hope he could do as well as Lewis did for us.

So, Wheeler is my most realistic choice. But, the guys I'd most want to emerge and really step up would be Lewis or Cain.

Wheeler wouldn't be "coming out of nowhere" and isn't a reclamation project. No one had written him off. He was a dependable backup last year and will probably be the same this year unless someone gets hurt.

I think Luther Robinson would be much better in an old school Miami defense.

Exactly right because in an old school Miami defense a slug like him wouldn't have to play and get his *** kicked all over the field. Then, we wouldn't have to hear his old man running his **** eater on the radio about how misunderstood his son's enormous talent is.

Advertisement
Back