What written-off senior will make some noise this year?

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
Seems like that's been a trademark through the first two years of the AG era.... a scrub or three who no one expects anything from manages to have a serviceable - or better - senior season. It'd be great if we got anything out of Dye or Luther Robinson but I'm not sure they're the best candidates to actually do it. What do you guys think? Cain? Cleveland? Wheeler?

Advertisement
Luther Robinson may just step up this year if the family drama ends. At the end of last year you could see vast improvement in his play, if he wants to go to the leauge it's time to step up.

I think Jared Wheeler has to be the top candidate for this. He may just be the primary sub for all 3 interior OL positions this season

They just write it off. All these big companies, they write off everything.

I wouldn't really consider Wheeler a written-off senior. He played a lot in 2012.

The ones who would be the strongest candidates:

Clements (if he plays)
Highsmith
Cain
Cleveland
Cornelius
Dye (position change)

Advertisement
If I were to pick and out of the woodwercks guy (i.e. not hurns or Seantrel or Porter) it would be Cain. He toiled in obscurity last year but he put on some weight (in the 245-250 range) and has a nice game - rushes the passer, covers, etc.

I hope it's Luther Robinson. If we can get him to just do his job and have Porter healthy for a whole season that would be huge.

Dye was making a nice impact as a blocking TE, that's why I didn't really understand the move back to DE.

I think Wheeler plays a lot as the 3rd OG and 2nd C. Cornelius will play a good amount now that EJ is probably gone. Rodgers/Highsmith will play so hopefully one of them steps up big. Luther has a chance to be the 3rd DT so hopefully he gets it together

Advertisement
Could Gaines be in consideration here? With EJ most likely not playing we will need him to step up. Our LB depth is pretty scary

Advertisement
I think Jared Wheeler has to be the top candidate for this. He may just be the primary sub for all 3 interior OL positions this season

He's going to be solid, I think, but a guy like Luther Robinson can make a real difference. With the way things are going at the LB position, it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy Gaines is the one to hold things together for us by locking down the MLB position.

Forget written off seniors, many on this board have written off rising true sophomores already and rising juniors already.

Advertisement

He's going to be solid, I think, but a guy like Luther Robinson can make a real difference. With the way things are going at the LB position, it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy Gaines is the one to hold things together for us by locking down the MLB position.

I didn't include Gaines because he's played/started a lot here already. That said it will be interesting to see how the LB position plays out. I think Perryman, Gaines, Kirby are our 3 best at the moment and Gaines and Kirby are both at MLB. Maybe we will see one of them change positions to get all 3 on the field.

Would Walford count? or has he shown too many flashes already?

Prob with this question is the players that have made the jump the last few seasons have been superior athletes, I don't know that I see that with this group. That being said I go with Gaines, opportunity + plus growth = production

Advertisement
Back