What written-off senior will make some noise this year?

I like gcane's pick of Wheeler.

Gaines hasn't been written off, but based on the improvement he showed last year I wouldn't be shocked if he breaks through.

Advertisement
Where does Wheeler play? As of now there is no starting spot for him, he could contribute as a swing guard but can that really be considered a break out?

I like gcane's pick of Wheeler.

Gaines hasn't been written off, but based on the improvement he showed last year I wouldn't be shocked if he breaks through.

I agree with calling this the "Marcus Maxey/Davon Johnson" Award..Lol. And it has to be someone who COMES OUT OF NOWHERE to make a huge impact. So it cant be Gaines, Luther Rob, or Wheeler imo.

My vote goes for...drum roll please...Dyron Dye at DE. I just think he has an opportunity to really shine. I dont think he will be a sack master. But I do think he will be a very good run stuffer and will be great at keeping containment on his side. Which will be crucial against FLA. I would vote for Asante Cleveland but I just don't think he will get the chance with Walford and Sandland in the mix. Although he would be a pleasant surprise.

Advertisement
Where does Wheeler play? As of now there is no starting spot for him, he could contribute as a swing guard but can that really be considered a break out?

He'll rotate at center (he did last year at times) and fill in for any interior player that gets hurt.

When I said "breakout," I was referring to Jimmy Gaines. He is an athlete and still has upside if he continues to improve.

I agree with calling this the "Marcus Maxey/Davon Johnson" Award..Lol. And it has to be someone who COMES OUT OF NOWHERE to make a huge impact. So it cant be Gaines, Luther Rob, or Wheeler imo.

My vote goes for...drum roll please...Dyron Dye at DE. I just think he has an opportunity to really shine. I dont think he will be a sack master. But I do think he will be a very good run stuffer and will be great at keeping containment on his side. Which will be crucial against FLA. I would vote for Asante Cleveland but I just don't think he will get the chance with Walford and Sandland in the mix. Although he would be a pleasant surprise.

Dunno. Maxey didn't really come out of nowhere or make a "huge" impact. It really can be a guy who fans have given up on but comes out to be an impact starter. Davon Johnson didn't make a "huge" impact last year, but he did what people didn't realize he could do. And, he helped us a lot.

Advertisement

I agree. But, Jeremy Lewis got a solid amount of burn last season and did really well for us (he was another emerging senior contributor). I was thinking Wheeler would likely fill that role in addition to backing up at center.

I hope he could do as well as Lewis did for us.

So, Wheeler is my most realistic choice. But, the guys I'd most want to emerge and really step up would be Lewis or Cain.

I think Jared Wheeler has to be the top candidate for this. He may just be the primary sub for all 3 interior OL positions this season

He's going to be solid, I think, but a guy like Luther Robinson can make a real difference. With the way things are going at the LB position, it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy Gaines is the one to hold things together for us by locking down the MLB position.

I think with the recent development of no EJ, Gaines will be forced outside and Kirby will claim the MLB spot.

I also agree with the sentiment that Dye will be a contributor, no reason he cant be effective setting the edge at his size.

I'll go with Jassid82's picks.

Offense - Asante Cleveland. Was injured in 2011 and last year I think he put on too much weight or something. Just wasn't moving around the same as before. I think/hope he bounces back and provides a nice 2nd TE to go with Walford.

Defense - Dyron Dye. He instantly became the best size/speed option at the position. Should help against the run immediately and wouldn't be surprised if he's amongst the leaders in sacks (which might not being saying much, but still).

Advertisement
Man, one of the pleasant surprises of the Golden regimes is, that every year we have had players from the last regime go from being non-contributors or disappointments, to solid contributors. McGee, Davon Johnson, Jacory Harris, Tommy Streeter, **** you could even throw Jeremy Lewis in there or Ben Jones before he got injured. You have to believe that somebody steps up, but I will say the hypothetical kids we are talking about this year will be from the 2010 class, which I feel raw talent wise was weaker than 08 or 09, so you might not see as strong of a showing as the first two years.

Luther Robinson hands down. He'll get playing time barring injury and another father melt down. My feeling is that he and his dad know that bull**** like last year won't be tolerated.

-Asante won't see the field hardly at all--think about the depth that was brought in and why
-Cain is a proven JAG...might sneak in there as a situational pass rusher and collect a few sacks
-Walford ain't a senior dumb ***
-Highsmith? Where on special teams? You assuming one of our Safeties are gonna get hurt?
-Jimmy Gaines doesn't qualify as coming out of no where does he? Played white a bit...started how many games?
-Jared Wheeler is a nice choice.
-Cornelius is also a possibility--long shot doe.

Advertisement
Judging by the lack of mention here, green could be the guy. Him and l. Rob. Biggest positions of need, also.

Seniors: highsmith, rodgers, gaines, cornileus, cain, green, dye, l rob, porter, Henderson, linder, wheeler, cleveland, hurns, OT, Hagens, Morris.

Don't count because they're already expected solid contributors: porter, henderson, linder, hurns, morris

Barely count because they're expected to contribute somewhat: gaines, hagens, OT (if not injured)

Don't expect them to beat out guys in front of them/make an impact: Cleveland, Wheeler, Highsmith, Rodgers

Could break through at DE: Cain, Green, Dye

Hopefully breaks through at DT: L. Rob.

Gaines started 6 games last year and 57 tackles dont see how he counts for this category.

Johnson and Ben Jones were just completely unexpected. Almost unpredictable

Only guys I can see fitting the category are Wheeler, Cleveland, Cornileus, Cain or one of the walk-on kickers(Carroll, Irastorza)

Too Big Ben Jones got hurt last year, he was coming on strong and really improving. We would've been calling this the 'Ben Jones Trophy'

Whoa, LuCanes. I have to disagree with you there on Marcus Maxey. Buddy made a few starts at Nickeback in 04' but for the most part was nonexistant his entire career at UM. People had totally given up on this guy because of the Devin Hester hype at DB. He comes in and not only starts his senior year but virtually locks down his side of the field for the better part of 2005. AND parlayed that into a small career with the Kansas City Cheifs IIRC. And buddy got drafted in the 5th round!!!!! Lol. Maxey was nowhere to be found the years he was there from 2001-2003. Now of course its hard to do when you have the likes of Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, PBuch, Rumph, etc in front of you your whole career but to say ANYONE expected him to play as well as he did his senior year is being a little naive. No disrespect and JMO.

Advertisement
Back