What we are

Advertisement
This is a very on point and level headed way of looking at where we are currently.

I'd add that - for the overreaction crowd, if we finished 20th - that's not some huge disappointment. It's just slightly below expectations. If we finished 10th - it'll be great step in the right direction, but still not some huge crowning achievement.

And for the "Manny isn't it" crowd - I'm not saying you're wrong, but who do you think we can get that's better? I'm more worried about the guy we'd end up hiring more than I am Manny.

I don't think Mario is the greatest coaching option on the planet...he, unfortunately, might be the best we'd have a reasonable shot at for obvious reasons.

The upside for Mario are Top 5 finishes, Top 5 recruiting classes, bowl game wins, and the occasional win over Clemson or the du jour OOC matchup to start off the year.

Manny's upside seems to be a Top 20-25 finish, Top 20 recruiting classes, bowl game and big game losses (due to lack of prep/coaching/discipline).

To be honest, I think anybody can do what Manny is doing here. What he has given us is about as bottom of the barrel as you're going to get here. He's not far off what Al Golden did here through his first two seasons + 2 games....15-11, 8-8 in the ACC (Manny is 15-11; 11-6 in the ACC).

I have been rooting for Manny since the beginning, obviously because I want to see our boys win, but I am losing hope. He has yet to show me he can get it done.
“Losing” hope? Just now, you’re starting to lose hope? Is this your first year watching the Mandy Diass corching masterpiece?

The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point?. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
DMoney,
You and I both are hoping for these results but I don’t think you believe we will finish in the top 15. Those recruiting rankings haven’t added up for since…..? I know as a Mod you want to keep the board on a high note but unless we stop dropping passes, stop getting out coached, block like a good o-line should, stop missing tackles, play the best players, call better plays, and until our best player isn’t our punter we won’t sniff the top 15. We are at best a top 25-30 team.

“Losing” hope? Just now, you’re starting to lose hope? Is this your first year watching the Mandy Diass corching masterpiece?
Well unlike some, possibly you included, I look for improvement. He got a train wreck from Richt, and fell flat on his face in year one. I saw him make a lot of moves, and improve in the win/loss column. I saw him again address failures this past off-season, and was in wait and see mode in hopes we would see another improvement.
I don't like to see recycled coaches year after year, because that NEVER leads to success. You can try to beat me up for it all you want, I don't care. I was/am hoping for long term success for the team.

Advertisement
The same can be said for our baseball team and to a lesser extent hoops too. We don’t have they type of departmental leadership required to make good hires and hold people accountable.

Advertisement
Keep in mind that on Saturday we will compete against a coaching staff that costs twice as much as ours. That’s right, $6 milli a year gets you Mel focking Tucker. So IF we beat MSU while spending half as much that’s overachieving. Right?

The thing that gets me is how flat the teams come out. As TB said ladt night in the Q&A. We never make in game adjustments ( halftime sometimes). Last game when we would run any running play that was not inside zone we would have success. Do we see us change our run plays NO. Inside zone after inside zone. The other thing that really ****es me off... Post game\practice the coaches claiming the guy missed a couple plays but was close... I mean wtf how about you pull someone for a series for f**king up. It’s like they are building in excuses for the players. not demanding greatness = mediocre

I don't think Mario is the greatest coaching option on the planet...he, unfortunately, might be the best we'd have a reasonable shot at for obvious reasons.

The upside for Mario are Top 5 finishes, Top 5 recruiting classes, bowl game wins, and the occasional win over Clemson or the du jour OOC matchup to start off the year.

Manny's upside seems to be a Top 20-25 finish, Top 20 recruiting classes, bowl game and big game losses (due to lack of prep/coaching/discipline).

To be honest, I think anybody can do what Manny is doing here. What he has given us is about as bottom of the barrel as you're going to get here. He's not far off what Al Golden did here through his first two seasons + 2 games....15-11, 8-8 in the ACC (Manny is 15-11; 11-6 in the ACC).
I agree, Mario would be our best option we'd have an actually shot at - but I feel like our window for hiring him has closed.

Between Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, Manny - I just have no confidence in us making a quality hire, and I think the new coach every 3-4 year carousel needs to stop, so I'm a little more tolerant of Manny than most even though he's shown to be nothing special. I think Manny is just an average coach, but I'm more interested in his recruiting, and think he has more potential there.

What we actually are:

1631815793626.gif

Advertisement
I agree, Mario would be our best option we'd have an actually shot at - but I feel like our window for hiring him has closed.

Between Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, Manny - I just have no confidence in us making a quality hire, and I think the new coach every 3-4 year carousel needs to stop, so I'm a little more tolerant of Manny than most even though he's shown to be nothing special. I think Manny is just an average coach, but I'm more interested in his recruiting, and think he has more potential there.

Bruce Feldman, who, is more in the know, especially for our school than many give him credit for, said in a podcast on Tuesday, Mario to Miami would have been a monster buy out the year we hired Manny. Said it would have been well over 10 million (I don't want to go back and check, but it might have been 12-14) and it much more manageable now for a school like Miami (again, don't quote me, but I think he said his buyout is somewhere between 8-6 now?), while saying for USC, it might not be reasonable considering the buy out for Helton + buy out for Cristobal.

I know we have people on here saying board members were going to pay for the whole thing...and idk how true that was at the time...the idea of Miami being unable to afford an 8-figure buy out and going with a cheaper Manny Diaz a year removed from the Turnover Chain season makes more sense to my ape brain. If Miami has been anything in my time as a fan, its been cheap af.

I will and always ask one question, why aren’t we developing our players, they are not getting better here at The U! Last time i saw players really get better year in and our was under Golden and NFL caliber coach with an NFL staff.. i have no answers just questions at this point

Advertisement
Winning our next 4 games would have us ranked inside the top 15. We have Michigan State, CCSU, UVA, and UNC. If we can be top 15 by mid season we are on track. For all the doom and gloom that exists on this site, we have 4 winnable games that would rewrite this season for us.

I love the way it's set up for us. A Michigan State game I think is good for us to play, a cupcake game to get players experience, a Thursday night home game against UVA going into the biggest game on the schedule @UNC.
I think we may be changing the "biggest game" designation after this weekend when UVA plays UNC. UVA is no pushover team this year and they've beaten UNC the past 4 years straight.

What kind of a simp post is this? Join what crowd? The football goth self-haters crowd? The guys with black lipstick and eyeliner, and metal bars through their noses?
You can make fun all you want trying to distract from the obvious. The crowd that says enough is enough if we continue to fail as a team. Time to call Diaz a failed coach and hope for a change.
I'm glad you had your chance to have fun. You and the most active slurpers on this site who enjoyed and liked the comment of their leader. LOL

Please don't reply because unless you have something meaningful to add, ignore my posts.

Last edited:

He's Al Golden 2.0. Manny's record is only better because FSU is sooooo much worse.

That said, even Al Golden could have consistently produced a Top 10-15 team here if he had brought in the right staff. Manny is doing less with more just like Al, Randy and Larry. The talent is good enough to win 10 games. That's not enough for me, but it is enough for me for now. ... It's all about the coaching at this point.

Personally, I believe we've already learned enough. The only saving grace for me would be if he brought in a Top 5 DC whom he allows to make staffing decisions like firing Patke and anyone needing to go.

Advertisement
Back