What was the first Miami game you remember?

Advertisement
The first game I recall watching was the first wide right. And then I remember crying during the Sugar Bowl haha. The first game I recall actually attending was Penn State '99 when I started at the U. Comically, the primary player from that game that I recall was Lavar Arrington. I've been a season ticket holder since 2005 and have only missed 2 home games since then (apart from the last Golden season which I boycotted).

Well, I’m an Old Fart, but I still remember my Freshman Year at Miami and going to the Orange Bowl in the fall of 1966 when the Canes played Southern Cal. I don’t remember exactly how high SC was ranked, but as I recall they were undefeated and ranked in the top 5 in the country when they came to Miami, and we were not ranked at all. But the mighty Hurricanes, with Ted Hendricks (The Mad Stork) leading the defense, beat SC 10-7. What a night. The Orange Bowl went wild. I’m thinking that the Canes were ranked after that and finished the year in the top 10.

First game I remember watching is the 1992 team against WV. First game I saw live was the 94 team against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl with my dad.
I was at that game and we opened up clobbering them but then the officials allowed Nebraska DB's to tackle our WR's, I am certain they wanted Osborne to get his NC as I believe he retired afterwards. I went home and watched a TV replay and the camera shots were so close to the LOS you could not see what the DB's were doing. One of our most frustrating losses almost as bad as the OSU fiasco.

1980 31-7 win at Florida is my earliest Cane memory. Wasn’t a full-time fan. Howard elected to kick FG up 28-7 with a few seconds left. UF fans were pelting the Miami bench with garbage, or oranges, or whatever. Later said he should have had Danny Miller kick the ball into the UF students section.

1981 21-20 home win over UF, Danny Miller kicking a 55-yarder with under a minute left, made me a casual fan.

1981 17-14 home win over #1 Penn State made me a full-time fan.
OL coach Chris Vagotis got knocked out by an orange.

Advertisement
Ooooh, we should ask people what's the last game you remember watching all of without breaking something.

1991 Oklahoma State. Beat the **** out of ‘em. First game I went to at the OB as a kid. Then it was PSU and Long Beach State. Kevin Williams was wild in that Long Beach game.

Well, I’m an Old Fart, but I still remember my Freshman Year at Miami and going to the Orange Bowl in the fall of 1966 when the Canes played Southern Cal. I don’t remember exactly how high SC was ranked, but as I recall they were undefeated and ranked in the top 5 in the country when they came to Miami, and we were not ranked at all. But the mighty Hurricanes, with Ted Hendricks (The Mad Stork) leading the defense, beat SC 10-7. What a night. The Orange Bowl went wild. I’m thinking that the Canes were ranked after that and finished the year in the top 10.
You may be older but I appreciate you sharing your experience, I didn’t know Miami usc played

Advertisement
The first game I recall watching was the first wide right. And then I remember crying during the Sugar Bowl haha. The first game I recall actually attending was Penn State '99 when I started at the U. Comically, the primary player from that game that I recall was Lavar Arrington. I've been a season ticket holder since 2005 and have only missed 2 home games since then (apart from the last Golden season which I boycotted).

I cried after the Sugar Bowl too. There was no question we were going to win. Expectations….

I think I also cried after 99 PSU. Arrington was supposed to be some bad *** bully who picked on kickers - I think he tried to get at it with Crossland too. But Chafie is still what haunts me.

1973 vs Texas Longhorns. We upset them at home. Back when we played on Friday nights and I listened to the games on the radio. Wouldn't get to a live game till '79 vs Louisville. Pretty sure it was a free ticket giveaway through Wendy's.

First game I went to was in 1968 (I was 5), but the first game I remember well is the home opener in 1970 against William & Mary. Played on Friday night because the high schools had the OB on Saturday.

Not exactly sure..but it was a Friday night at the OB. Probly about 6yrs old. Remember seeing FSU, ND (got thrashed), and I think Texas. ON THE TURF; team had black/dark green helmets as I recall. Lost a lot, but played most of the big boys tough, with the occasional upset. My Dad took me..good times.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1978 @ Florida Field. OJ Anderson with over 40 carries pulls off the greatest performance by any UM running back in my lifetime, sets a school rushing record and beats the Gators by 1 point with a miracle sweep avoiding no less than 5 defenders on the last play of the game. He was the only weapon on the UM offense that year. Will never forget it.

I remember watching OJ Anderson run in a pouring rain storm at the OB. My parents with both alumni and started taking me to games as soon as I could walk. They had seasons tickets from 1950 till 2002. I grew up in the Gables and the OB. I saw the first rise to power In the late ‘70s and early ’80s. Have been a life long canes fan despite going away to school in ‘84.

Advertisement
Back