What was the first Miami game you remember?

Love hearing the stories from the old school Canes, that must’ve been a time to be alive for a canes fan

It was stunning.

I was not present for a football loss as a freshman (1986, I had no money to fly to Arizona for the Fiasco Bowl). I was not present for a loss as a sophomore (1987, undefeated). I was not present for a loss as a junior (yes, I didn't make it to the ND game, but I made up for it by getting arrested at the LSU game). My first in-person loss was in 1989 at Talla-*******-hassee, and we STILL won the national championship. We didn't lose at the Orange Bowl until I was in law school.

It is nearly impossible to describe how amazing my undergrad/grad years were for UM football.

Advertisement
Born in 83, my dad went to the 89 ND/Miami game, and my mom sat at home with me to watch it. The magnitude was lost, but I remember her telling me to boo and yell when the people in gold had the ball.

My dad grew up in the shadow of the OB when his parents came over. He would walk over and go to home games most Saturdays, even back then, before going to school at Miami.

You think? Five interceptions and still only down four points before that fifth and final end zone errant throw by Vinny which could've won the game???

17-14 at minimum, but the Canes legit should've rolled those slow slugs 35-7. Never got over that one.

It was that ******* Sandusky. He literally told his players to keep hitting Vinnie, regardless of the whistle.

The entire 2002 season… weird that I don’t really remember the 01 championship season. I didn’t start watching Miami until Sean Taylor Willis McGahee Antrel Rolle and Kellen Winslow jr were the stars on the team.

Advertisement
It was stunning.

I was not present for a football loss as a freshman (1986, I had no money to fly to Arizona for the Fiasco Bowl). I was not present for a loss as a sophomore (1987, undefeated). I was not present for a loss as a junior (yes, I didn't make it to the ND game, but I made up for it by getting arrested at the LSU game). My first in-person loss was in 1989 at Talla-*******-hassee, and we STILL won the national championship. We didn't lose at the Orange Bowl until I was in law school.

It is nearly impossible to describe how amazing my undergrad/grad years were for UM football.
I needed that I love those stories, like when the fans grabbed Michael Irvin after he scored against Oklahoma

Yeah I watch the whole game, Penn state couldn’t move the ball, The 5 picks killed us, if he didn’t throw that last one we win
That game and 86 sugar bowl are why I can never put testeverde on the UM Rushmore of QBs. He crumbled in those games. Yes he beat FSU and OK but they didn't mean chit at the end.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Notre Dame 0 - Miami 0 1965, we should've won but for little ole Miami it was like a win. 1965 players Pete Banaszak and Russell Smith had good pro careers. Zloch was the ND QB and he was on my Little League football team in Fort Lauderdale, we played at Holiday Park.

First game I remember watching is the 1992 team against WV. First game I saw live was the 94 team against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl with my dad.

Oddly enough i believe the game i remember earliest was from the 1983 season- opener vs. Florida which i had to listen to on the radio because florida was on probation and it could not be televised. We lost, but the legend of Bernie was born. I was 8. Went to games the previous couple years, but don’t remember anything from those specifically. THe earliest memory i have of watching the canes was another road game from that year- FSU. I remember Howard waiting to call the time out for our winning FG and my mom going nuts about him not calling it yet. She was so nervous thinking we might accidentlally let all the time run off and lose. Ha.

Advertisement
Notre Dame 0 - Miami 0 1965, we should've won but for little ole Miami it was like a win. 1965 players Pete Banaszak and Russell Smith had good pro careers. Zloch was the ND QB and he was on my Little League football team in Fort Lauderdale, we played at Holiday Park.
Before the 80’s canes fan, ld love to sit and talk with you

I live in NJ, my Best Friend was Irish and his whole family was Notre Dame fans. We'd watch them play every Saturday and I never really took to them. It wasn't until Notre Dame flew down to the Orange Bowl in 1987 and got blown out 24-0 that I found my team. I just loved the way they played and the celebrating after every big play.

Advertisement
Back