What the **** happened to this board?

Over the past month exactly 60 infractions have been handed out. SFBay has handed out 1, so I am not sure he is the boogie man you all think he is.

When we created this site our goal was to have an all things go off topic board and a no non-sense football board. Those 2 goals have not changed. What did change is the size of our site and the amount of money it cost to run. For this we split the WEZ off so we could continue to run CIS and allow the WEZ to continue to exist as designed. (and rent free)

As far as the number of mods go, clearly some of them are not active. We have recently added moderators to better moderate the site and I think they are doing a good job.

I think the biggest boondoggle for posters is what I referenced in my last post. The inconsistency in moderation.

Some guys can say what ever the fvck they want with no repercussions whatsoever. Others seemingly get bandana for jokes that were taken the wrong way.

I only have issue with a couple of my infractions. But I have seen guys get dumped to Thunderdome or band camp for making obviously facetious posts that seemed to have rubbed someones ****** with sand paper.

Obviously your board your rules but some consistency would be nice

You guys don't see when someone gets an infraction. You may so a post by a user and wonder why they are still around, but the system is designed to let you make bone headed post a few times a month and still be able to post. We get a decent amount of appealed infractions and while I don't always respond to the appealing party I do review the infraction. In a vast majority of the cases the mod was correct in giving the infraction and when they aren't, I reverse it. We are trying to balance allowing users to moderate themselves and over moderation. I am sure we can do better, but at this point I think the mods are doing well.

Advertisement
Over the past month exactly 60 infractions have been handed out. SFBay has handed out 1, so I am not sure he is the boogie man you all think he is.

When we created this site our goal was to have an all things go off topic board and a no non-sense football board. Those 2 goals have not changed. What did change is the size of our site and the amount of money it cost to run. For this we split the WEZ off so we could continue to run CIS and allow the WEZ to continue to exist as designed. (and rent free)

As far as the number of mods go, clearly some of them are not active. We have recently added moderators to better moderate the site and I think they are doing a good job.

I think the biggest boondoggle for posters is what I referenced in my last post. The inconsistency in moderation.

Some guys can say what ever the fvck they want with no repercussions whatsoever. Others seemingly get bandana for jokes that were taken the wrong way.

I only have issue with a couple of my infractions. But I have seen guys get dumped to Thunderdome or band camp for making obviously facetious posts that seemed to have rubbed someones ****** with sand paper.

You guys don't see when someone gets an infraction. You may so a post by a user and wonder why they are still around, but the system is designed to let you make bone headed post a few times a month and still be able to post. We get a decent amount of appealed infractions and while I don't always respond to the appealing party I do review the infraction. In a vast majority of the cases the mod was correct in giving the infraction and when they aren't, I reverse it. We are trying to balance allowing users to moderate themselves and over moderation. I am sure we can do better, but at this point I think the mods are doing well.

How hard would it be to put a tag on posts that get infractions? That way everyone would get a good feeling for what exactly is an infractionable porst and what is within the "official site guidelines"?

I am asking because I don't know spit about HTML code

How hard would it be to put a tag on posts that get infractions? That way everyone would get a good feeling for what exactly is an infractionable porst and what is within the "official site guidelines"?

I am asking because I don't know spit about HTML code

It wouldn't be that difficult, but what we found was calling our posters are even PMing them typically made things worse. Now they get an automated message and that is it.

This board has more mods than Susan Miller Degnan has cats ......and she's in violation of several Miami-Dade housing codes. Ariz paying you in JR Smith gear and signed photos of Lane Kiffin?

[MENTION=1]Andrew[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] [MENTION=4648]Pete[/MENTION]r [MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]

can i tell them? They will find out soon enough!

okay several of the mods are suppose to be porsters here. But we have noods of the moms, wives, and girlfriends. So guys like
sf, not since, dangerously, me, etc all got upgraded to mods.

Advertisement
I agree with the OP

But maybe that's the life cycle of any board. Starts off with great intentions of openness, and then you make every one of your buddies a moderator, you have a hidden insider moderator board where you all start to think the same way, and gossip and inside baseball takes over. All the sudden you become the very board people migrated away from in the first place.

You say having a contrarian point of view is fine, but that is NOT how this board is moderated in practice.

I was one of the first to migrate here back when everyone was still on scout.

I've been banned multiple times for nothing more than having a contrarian point of view, if we're being 100 percent open here. I was banned because I ripped Al Golden's recruiting early in the process when everyone loved him and thought that stars didn't matter. I said FSU was out-recruiting us...they said I was a troll FSU fan...I get banned, and 2 years later FSU wins the ship with those very recruits

I still get infracted and banned for that - latest example, check out the thread called "5 stars" on the recruiting board - that got me banned. Read it and decide for yourself if it's trolling or just a point of view. To me, saying that we don't have enough 5 star recruits on the roster is not trolling, it's an opinion that I happen to have.

That all said, I keep coming back because despite the lack of tolerance for contrarian or dissenting points of view and despite the fact that there are more moderators than guests on this site, the quality of news, information, and discussion, as well as the fun and humor around here are a blessing.

So don't take it as me ripping on you, the site is phenomenal and that's why I'm here. But I do agree with the OP that the site would be better if the mods would cool it, oh and bring back the WEZ

Please list your 12 previous screen names. I'm asking for a friend.

case in point.

I agree 100%, and the huge increase in members shows many others agree also, but there will always be people who disagree.

I agree with the OP

But maybe that's the life cycle of any board. Starts off with great intentions of openness, and then you make every one of your buddies a moderator, you have a hidden insider moderator board where you all start to think the same way, and gossip and inside baseball takes over. All the sudden you become the very board people migrated away from in the first place.

You say having a contrarian point of view is fine, but that is NOT how this board is moderated in practice.

I was one of the first to migrate here back when everyone was still on scout.

I've been banned multiple times for nothing more than having a contrarian point of view, if we're being 100 percent open here. I was banned because I ripped Al Golden's recruiting early in the process when everyone loved him and thought that stars didn't matter. I said FSU was out-recruiting us...they said I was a troll FSU fan...I get banned, and 2 years later FSU wins the ship with those very recruits

I still get infracted and banned for that - latest example, check out the thread called "5 stars" on the recruiting board - that got me banned. Read it and decide for yourself if it's trolling or just a point of view. To me, saying that we don't have enough 5 star recruits on the roster is not trolling, it's an opinion that I happen to have.

That all said, I keep coming back because despite the lack of tolerance for contrarian or dissenting points of view and despite the fact that there are more moderators than guests on this site, the quality of news, information, and discussion, as well as the fun and humor around here are a blessing.

So don't take it as me ripping on you, the site is phenomenal and that's why I'm here. But I do agree with the OP that the site would be better if the mods would cool it, oh and bring back the WEZ

Speak for yourself that WEZ crap gets old fast. Same guys did it on Rivals, and Scout. I was around for grassy too!

Advertisement

Who gave me my infraction the other day? Tell me or [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] gets pummeled.

Who gave me my infraction the other day? Tell me or @DMoney gets pummeled.

I gave it to you. You circumvented the word filter to use the n word.

Who gave me my infraction the other day? Tell me or @DMoney gets pummeled.

I gave it to you. You circumvented the word filter to use the n word.
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] is getting pummeled nonetheless, Andrew

Does it really take 26 mods to handle "Eye in the Sky"?

Moderators of this Forum

imurcane, 5n7, SFbayCane, USNAVYCANE, CaneLos, decleated, Dan E. Dangerously, DrJay23, TheSwagger1, YanyCane, DMoney, Andrew, Peter Ariz, pcitycane, Tito Benach, Cameron Underwood, ghost2, Kyle Liburd, Nash Williams, DCF in LA, Geo305, Kirijax, shoeless, Hurricane Warrior, Notsince1985, IndayArtHauz

View attachment 37786

While we are all being candid, civil, and open about things . . .

Does it take 26 mods? I don't know. What i do know is that several of the mods were the early defectors from Grassy. We are Cane fans just like the real Cane fans here.

Think about this thread, there are different views on what is good and what needs improvement around here.

I hope I can speak for most everyone here when I say the news and reporting is second to none. Now that has been used a lot in life. I am curious, does anyone think there is better news than what is provided here? Its okay if you do, I would like to know. I think Rivals is garbo. All about selling memberships and ads. I like Porter on Twitter. Not a whole lot of dialogue, but solid news.

As to the board . . . is the issue moderation type of issues, trolling, or censorship? In this thread alone it seems like it is all 3.
I am fairly certain that there has been an instance or two where I thought a poster was trolling, who may not have been. That is a legit concern. I really try my best to give warnings with a PM encouraging something or the other. When someone is being a blatant ******* for no reason contributing nothing and derailing threads . . . that **** gets old.

When Al Golden came to Atlanta, I met him. He brought his right hand media man with him. I don't recall his name now. Anyways afterwards I followed him on Twitter. I sent him a Tweet, I think, telling him about this site. He was cool. But at some point after he sent a note telling me to cease and desist "something" You don't have to believe me. But we were on the radar. So sometimes you have to remember we want to have the U on our side. I believe we have had great access, and I think [MENTION=4648]Pete[/MENTION] and the other writers deserve a lot of credit for that.

been on this board for a couple years now and i have to say the quality and timeliness of info is unrivaled. i also like porter a bit on twitter and follow clam underwood too. i truly believe that 95% of canes news can be attributed to this board and pete in particular. i think all the beat guys are on this site and that is how they get most of their news - all they have to do is say "sources" but we all know their source is this site b/c canes insight always beats them to the scoop. for the most part the others just aggregate content which ****es me off more than anything cuz they are getting paid to rip off info from here.

Advertisement
Please note that the sum total of our compensation for 4+ years of being a moderator has been one.... (Count 'em)ONE CanesInsight.com T-shirt. lol I assume @Franchise would say we're over-compensated. :)

As for me, I volunteered for this gig when called upon simply because I wanted to do whatever I could to have a positive effect on the culture of this site. (hence my nickname on WEZ, "Positive leader") The entire program was at the depths of "The Scourge of Donna ****lala" when we started. At that time ANY level of discourse was difficult. I think that's why I gained my rep as a hard *** mod back then. Although, any other mod or admin here would tell you that behind the scenes my strong libertarian leanings are on display as I usually stick up for posters who violated the rules, even the guys who I'd infracted or band myself. (not that any mod here would speak of what happens "behind the curtain :) ).

Bottom line is that we have a **** good site that allows for a greater latitude of discussion (while still preserving the quality of that discussion) more so than any other site out there. Massive credit goes to our whole team and specifically Andrew and Decleated who created our system of infractions with an avenue to appeal. We all get caught up in the fray from time to time, myself included. Having been a mod or 4 sites in my life, I think we have as good of a system as can you get.

Go Canes!!!

Reporting of the news by Pete is what makes this site great. I have noticed that people with dissenting opinions get banned for "trolling" on a far too frequent basis, I remember NutFumbler - using some other name - on the "five star" thread and I agreed with him in it, he should not have been banned for that.

For example, if the moderators had not known brooklyndee as a previously reliable and trustworthy source, if it had been a new or random poster, I would be willing to bet that he would have been banned for creating the thread saying we are about to get thinner without any concrete evidence. It seems that moderators see trolling where it isn't very often. It is not a big issue, but I have noticed it.

Advertisement
Reporting of the news by Pete is what makes this site great. I have noticed that people with dissenting opinions get banned for "trolling" on a far too frequent basis, I remember NutFumbler - using some other name - on the "five star" thread and I agreed with him in it, he should not have been banned for that.

For example, if the moderators had not known brooklyndee as previously reliable and trustworthy source, if it had been a new or random poster, I would be willing to bet that he would have been banned for creating the thread saying we are about to get thinner without any concrete evidence. It seems that moderators see trolling where it isn't very often. It is not a big issue, but I have noticed it.

i have not been around this site much over the past couple months and cannot comment directly to NutFumbler's deal, but I highly doubt someone was band for having a dissenting opinion. Our general rule of thumb here is that we dont moderate opinion, only behavior. However, when someone is takes the whole "devil's advocate" approach to an extreme, it can hurt the overall level of discussion (as it often bleeds from thread to thread).

Again, having moderated multiple message boards for 15+ years now, I can say with certainty that a website's culture of quality discussion takes the elevator down but has to take the stairs up. (kinda like my weight gain & loss :-/ ) Its easy to for **** to go south and very difficult to get it back. That's why we have such a strong appeal process for infractions and bands.

Advertisement
Back