What the First Round of the College Playoffs Tells Us

We should be finessing the **** out of people. We got a bunch of fast, quick-twitch athletes and we're trying to out-muscle teams.

We're over here trying to get into a muscle match with **** strong kids from Virginia and Pittsburgh. That ain't where our advantage is at man. SMH

Advertisement
We should be finessing the **** out of people. We got a bunch of fast, quick-twitch athletes and we're trying to out-muscle teams.

We're over here trying to get into a muscle match with **** strong kids from Virginia and Pittsburgh. That ain't where our advantage is at man. SMH

(sarcastic) That's why golden is going for the NJ kids <slow/strong> (/sarcastic)

I learned that Im very happy Urban left the state of Florida. Dude can straight coach. He stepped in at Columbus and won right away. Now he goes out and beats Bama with a 3rd string QB. So now the question is where do we go from here? Hypothetically speaking lets say Al gets fired, is Butch gonna be enough? What we know about him is that he will be able to evaluate, recruit and develop, as he proved at UNC that he didn't just get lucky during his tenure at Miami, but can he sufficient enough on game?

I remember Butch being somewhat of a mess on game day, but more often than not our talent won out. I still think that at the end of the day, superior talent will win now out and we can get that superior talent. I don't think there was a true elite team this year. Bama is not Bama from 09 or 11, they were a solid team but had tons of holes especially in the secondary, and from an offensive standpoint were bailed out by Cooper, who should have been a difference maker for us. Also to consider, I am one that believes that a lot of the SEC hype is warranted but its run from 06-12 where they were without question the best conference is over, as they were drastically overrated the last 2 years, especially this year. Even look at FSU, they were once again a **** good team, but they weren't as dominant as last year. Their LB cores were weak this year and decimated through attrition and injuries, and their offensive talent wasn't there either. What Im trying to say is that there isn't a 2001 and 2002 Miami, 2002 tOSU, 2004 USC, 08 Okie and 08 UF, and 09 and 11 Bama team his year in the playoff, and Miami with a competent HC can field a team of that caliber 2-3 times a decade.

Its all about difference makers, take 08 UF vs 08 OU. That OU team was stacked and one of the best coached offenses Ive ever seen, but when the chips were down Percy Harvin and Tebow took over that game and there wasn't a **** thing anybody could do about it. I agree that you strategists but if you get the special players, which we are knee deep in down SFLA, you will win titles.

Thank you. This was more of the discussion I hoped for. Anyway, the point about 08 UF vs 08 OU is about conversions. Meaningful games, at whatever level, increasingly become about conversions on both sides of the ball. That means that, yes, individual talent will seem extremely important in those plays. But, good strategy to get in the right down and distance will also be critical. To your point, Urban was all over that today. He managed the game like a cot**** artist. Bama had more talent and Meyer and his coaching staff were just on top of every aspect. The guy is a world-class f'head, but a detailed m'f'ing coach.
What Urban and his staff did tonight should be put up in a CFB museum, and I do agree with the conversions comment, but as you said conversions happen when you have those special players. Like in that very game, when the game was on the line and OU was playing their A game, moving the ball at will, Spikes and company made the big plays. When UF needed a play you knew the ball was going to Harvin or Tebow was gonna will his way to a first down, and when it counted there was anything OU could do.

But see, this all goes back to coaching. The only thing holding anyone back from picking OSU to beat Bama should have been the 3rd string qb.

Time and time again spread/read option teams have exploited Bama and their 3-4 scheme. Sure it may prevent you from getting ran rough shod over by a physical team(ifyouhavethehosses) but when you play a team whose offensive scheme or playcalling asks for your defensive players to be good in space you leave yourself at a disadvantage.

Speed and talent does kill. But clearly only when its put in position too.

Coaching is of the utmost importance.

In a place like Miami you dont have to be the MOST skilled gameday coach. But your scheme does need to match the talent. Like Goldenshowers said above. We dont need a power scheme in a place built on speed.

the 4-2-5, 4-3, and 3-3-5 defense with a prostyle offense built on zone blocking principles should be one step in the formula of finding a coach with the right scheme to match the talent.

there is soooo much talent in Florida that if you just have the right systems in place you can win and win big at any of the schools.

Urban came down here and won with UF like it wasnt ish. Jimbo took over for Bowden and didnt look back.. Oleary went to UCf and made a top 15 team.

Strong built a great team in KENTUCKY with the table scraps of the big 3 Florida schools.

Percy and Tebow would not have been the players they were without Urbans scheme and playcalling.

The jimmie and joes are only as good as the xs and os show them to be.

Look how dominant our team looked in a 3 and half game stretch with minor tweaks to the defense.

Those tweaks mainly being closer alignments and better matchups(playing nickel). Things that allowed us to use our speed as an advantage.

Its just NOT that hard to win in florida if youre not an arrogant ******* that wont adjust your system. Lets face it.... most coaches are arrogant ******** that wont adjust their schemes.

Thats fine.... just STOP conning schools into thinking you can force your scheme in an area it wont fit and go to schools where your system matches the talent.

Urban and Malzahn are both great playcallers with great offensive schemes. They can recognize a mismatch in a defense faster than anyone and will exploit it all game long.

If you havent noticed, both systems just churn out superstars no matter who gets drafted or who gets hurt.

While it would be nice to get a guy who can call plays with the cleverness and wit that they do.. it isnt needed to win big here.

maybe other places.. but not at miami.

Golden isnt the best gameday coach..... But lets be honest here.... even with all of our penalties and gameday blunders. can you honestly say that if golden ran a 4-2-5 press defense(gary patterson, bud foster) and let Coley free with the playcalling that we would not have been a team that was undefeated or **** close?

I believe we would have been. Look how many players are expected to get a draft grade... all that cruitin bama and all those other schools do and were looking to have more nfl players than all of them.

Proof is in the pudding. Miami/florida is truly a hotbed for talent. So if you have that scheme you will win.

the game is 70% coaching and 30% players. proof= cutcliffe,briles,patterson,peterson,snyder,dantoni,harbaugh

All those coaches did more with less and consistently beat teams with way more talent due to great coaching.

Are some of you confusing the spread with read-option? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can barely walk and both run an offense that includes spread elements.

Guys have no idea what their talking about.

I'm always amused when people act like coaching and talent are mutually exclusive. When you have a well coached team with talented players that are put into the right position to perform, and those players execute, you have a very good team. Possibly championship caliber.

Watching those games was fascinating. As much as I dislike Meyer, the guy can flat out coach. Evidence was the pick six by the defensive end. OSU knew of Alabama's tendency to go to Cooper on the slant in a particular situation. When it came up, they had the defensive end drop into the flat, right in the passing lane. Kid executed and took it to the house.

OSU was stout on both lines, giving their backs room to run. Their D-line applied pressure to Sims. That said, Alabama was still effective with the power running game, which Kiffin inexplicably abandoned.

Back to coaching, I loved how OSU took advantage of an inexperienced LB on that 85-yard run. Wide receiver blocks down, and the safety (I think Collins was out at that time) gets sucked up into the line. Brilliant play and execution.

One thing that stands out to me about spread offenses is the tempo at which they are executed. While we were effective when we went spread, we rarely took advantage of tempo. I found it infuriating that we would always come to the line then back off to check with the sidelines. This happened less often when we went two-minute, and look how much more effective we were in those situations. Tempo is such a friend to the offense because you're stressing the defense physically and mentally. Oregon did not have more talent than FSU. But they run their system in such a way that you get from different angles and at such pace that you eventually give up chunk plays.

As for turnovers, that game may well have been different if Cook doesn't fumble on the first drive of the third quarter. But give Oregon credit for capitalizing on those mistakes. Alabama did the same thing against OSU, who statistically dominated them and would have embarrassed them but for those turnovers.

Advertisement
Are some of you confusing the spread with read-option? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can barely walk and both run an offense that includes spread elements.

But neither of them run a spread offense exclusively. **** near every single offense in the NFL has "spread elements". Everyone is all bonered out on Oregon's offense but that offense depends heavily on Mariotta running the football.

If your QB can't run you have to go under center eventually don't you?

Now that I can agree with.

Spread doesn't equal being in shotgun.

So are we saying Erickson had it right all along?

Even worse. I think Gag Tek is the only team that runs a "spread" offense from under center.

Or are we now talking about going Air Raid?

Advertisement

I just whipped this off of wiki. For what it's worth.

"Despite the multi-receiver sets, the spread option is a run-first scheme that requires a quarterback that is comfortable carrying the ball, "

Sounds to me like there are as many ideas of what the "spread" is as there are versions of the "spread".

I learned that Im very happy Urban left the state of Florida. Dude can straight coach. He stepped in at Columbus and won right away. Now he goes out and beats Bama with a 3rd string QB. So now the question is where do we go from here? Hypothetically speaking lets say Al gets fired, is Butch gonna be enough? What we know about him is that he will be able to evaluate, recruit and develop, as he proved at UNC that he didn't just get lucky during his tenure at Miami, but can he sufficient enough on game?

I remember Butch being somewhat of a mess on game day, but more often than not our talent won out. I still think that at the end of the day, superior talent will win now out and we can get that superior talent. I don't think there was a true elite team this year. Bama is not Bama from 09 or 11, they were a solid team but had tons of holes especially in the secondary, and from an offensive standpoint were bailed out by Cooper, who should have been a difference maker for us. Also to consider, I am one that believes that a lot of the SEC hype is warranted but its run from 06-12 where they were without question the best conference is over, as they were drastically overrated the last 2 years, especially this year. Even look at FSU, they were once again a **** good team, but they weren't as dominant as last year. Their LB cores were weak this year and decimated through attrition and injuries, and their offensive talent wasn't there either. What Im trying to say is that there isn't a 2001 and 2002 Miami, 2002 tOSU, 2004 USC, 08 Okie and 08 UF, and 09 and 11 Bama team his year in the playoff, and Miami with a competent HC can field a team of that caliber 2-3 times a decade.

Its all about difference makers, take 08 UF vs 08 OU. That OU team was stacked and one of the best coached offenses Ive ever seen, but when the chips were down Percy Harvin and Tebow took over that game and there wasn't a **** thing anybody could do about it. I agree that you strategists but if you get the special players, which we are knee deep in down SFLA, you will win titles.

Thank you. This was more of the discussion I hoped for. Anyway, the point about 08 UF vs 08 OU is about conversions. Meaningful games, at whatever level, increasingly become about conversions on both sides of the ball. That means that, yes, individual talent will seem extremely important in those plays. But, good strategy to get in the right down and distance will also be critical. To your point, Urban was all over that today. He managed the game like a cot**** artist. Bama had more talent and Meyer and his coaching staff were just on top of every aspect. The guy is a world-class f'head, but a detailed m'f'ing coach.
What Urban and his staff did tonight should be put up in a CFB museum, and I do agree with the conversions comment, but as you said conversions happen when you have those special players. Like in that very game, when the game was on the line and OU was playing their A game, moving the ball at will, Spikes and company made the big plays. When UF needed a play you knew the ball was going to Harvin or Tebow was gonna will his way to a first down, and when it counted there was anything OU could do.

But see, this all goes back to coaching. The only thing holding anyone back from picking OSU to beat Bama should have been the 3rd string qb.

Time and time again spread/read option teams have exploited Bama and their 3-4 scheme. Sure it may prevent you from getting ran rough shod over by a physical team(ifyouhavethehosses) but when you play a team whose offensive scheme or playcalling asks for your defensive players to be good in space you leave yourself at a disadvantage.

Speed and talent does kill. But clearly only when its put in position too.

Coaching is of the utmost importance.

In a place like Miami you dont have to be the MOST skilled gameday coach. But your scheme does need to match the talent. Like Goldenshowers said above. We dont need a power scheme in a place built on speed.

the 4-2-5, 4-3, and 3-3-5 defense with a prostyle offense built on zone blocking principles should be one step in the formula of finding a coach with the right scheme to match the talent.

there is soooo much talent in Florida that if you just have the right systems in place you can win and win big at any of the schools.

Urban came down here and won with UF like it wasnt ish. Jimbo took over for Bowden and didnt look back.. Oleary went to UCf and made a top 15 team.

Strong built a great team in KENTUCKY with the table scraps of the big 3 Florida schools.

Percy and Tebow would not have been the players they were without Urbans scheme and playcalling.

The jimmie and joes are only as good as the xs and os show them to be.

Look how dominant our team looked in a 3 and half game stretch with minor tweaks to the defense.

Those tweaks mainly being closer alignments and better matchups(playing nickel). Things that allowed us to use our speed as an advantage.

Its just NOT that hard to win in florida if youre not an arrogant ******* that wont adjust your system. Lets face it.... most coaches are arrogant ******** that wont adjust their schemes.

Thats fine.... just STOP conning schools into thinking you can force your scheme in an area it wont fit and go to schools where your system matches the talent.

Urban and Malzahn are both great playcallers with great offensive schemes. They can recognize a mismatch in a defense faster than anyone and will exploit it all game long.

If you havent noticed, both systems just churn out superstars no matter who gets drafted or who gets hurt.

While it would be nice to get a guy who can call plays with the cleverness and wit that they do.. it isnt needed to win big here.

maybe other places.. but not at miami.

Golden isnt the best gameday coach..... But lets be honest here.... even with all of our penalties and gameday blunders. can you honestly say that if golden ran a 4-2-5 press defense(gary patterson, bud foster) and let Coley free with the playcalling that we would not have been a team that was undefeated or **** close?

I believe we would have been. Look how many players are expected to get a draft grade... all that cruitin bama and all those other schools do and were looking to have more nfl players than all of them.

Proof is in the pudding. Miami/florida is truly a hotbed for talent. So if you have that scheme you will win.

the game is 70% coaching and 30% players. proof= cutcliffe,briles,patterson,peterson,snyder,dantoni,harbaugh

All those coaches did more with less and consistently beat teams with way more talent due to great coaching.

I've been saying this forever...

But neither of them run a spread offense exclusively. **** near every single offense in the NFL has "spread elements". Everyone is all bonered out on Oregon's offense but that offense depends heavily on Mariotta running the football.

If your QB can't run you have to go under center eventually don't you?

My point is we don't have to run Oregon's offense to be a spread team and take advantage of speed.

I'm always amused when people act like coaching and talent are mutually exclusive. When you have a well coached team with talented players that are put into the right position to perform, and those players execute, you have a very good team. Possibly championship caliber.

Watching those games was fascinating. As much as I dislike Meyer, the guy can flat out coach. Evidence was the pick six by the defensive end. OSU knew of Alabama's tendency to go to Cooper on the slant in a particular situation. When it came up, they had the defensive end drop into the flat, right in the passing lane. Kid executed and took it to the house.

OSU was stout on both lines, giving their backs room to run. Their D-line applied pressure to Sims. That said, Alabama was still effective with the power running game, which Kiffin inexplicably abandoned.

Back to coaching, I loved how OSU took advantage of an inexperienced LB on that 85-yard run. Wide receiver blocks down, and the safety (I think Collins was out at that time) gets sucked up into the line. Brilliant play and execution.

One thing that stands out to me about spread offenses is the tempo at which they are executed. While we were effective when we went spread, we rarely took advantage of tempo. I found it infuriating that we would always come to the line then back off to check with the sidelines. This happened less often when we went two-minute, and look how much more effective we were in those situations. Tempo is such a friend to the offense because you're stressing the defense physically and mentally. Oregon did not have more talent than FSU. But they run their system in such a way that you get from different angles and at such pace that you eventually give up chunk plays.

As for turnovers, that game may well have been different if Cook doesn't fumble on the first drive of the third quarter. But give Oregon credit for capitalizing on those mistakes. Alabama did the same thing against OSU, who statistically dominated them and would have embarrassed them but for those turnovers.

Nice post. That was a masterpiece by Meyer. The guy may be a monstrous, arrogant *******, but he's an excellent coach. As I said earlier in the thread, he was the reason I wrote the post.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back