What the First Round of the College Playoffs Tells Us

Forget about the National level. Golden is getting outcoached off the field, almost every game, by the likes of London, Pelini and Paul Johnson.

None of the dullards that homeskooled Golden this year are anything other than average or far below average simpletons. Oregon and OSU* would have had 6+ losses each this season if Johnson, Pelini, London or any other ACC clown was their HC.

Advertisement
I've been lobbying for the spread offense around here for years.

If we could get an innovative spread guy in here we'd be literally unstoppable. Every skill player in South Florida would be lining up to come here. Nobody in the nation can put four WR's on the field at the same time who all run 4.3-4.4 like we can.

There's so much WR talent down here that we could literally put three or four "#1 receivers" on the field every down. In other word, three or four guys who would be #1 receivers at most schools in the country.

We could still use a TE and we could still use all the same plays that are run out of a Pro-Set. You can run Iso, Power, Counter, Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Read Option, etc etc etc.

On defense I'd love to see us go back to attacking one-gap schemes and aggressive DB play.

WE WOULD SLAUGHTER PEOPLE.

Just imagine if we had those type of coaches/schemes right now.

On offense...

QB - Kaaya
HB - Duke with Yearby spelling
WR - Dorsett
WR - Coley
WR - Waters
WR - McKenzie
(TE) - Walford

On defense...

DE - McCord
DT - Pierre
DT - Chickillo?
DE - Thomas
OLB - Skai Moore
MLB - Perryman
OLB - Grace

Yall gettin' the picture? Speed galore on both sides of the ball.

I put Skai Morre and McKenzie in there as an example of kids we would've recruited had we been running these schemes. Guys like Burgess, Holliman, Talan, Hoggins, etc.

What a crazy idea. Go to the fastest football region in the USA and use speed to your advantage!

Crazy, crazy idea. SMH

On offense...

QB - Kaaya
WR - Dorsett
WR - Coley
WR - Waters
WR - McKenzie
(TE) - Walford

On defense...

DE - McCord
DT - Pierre
DT - Chickillo?
DE - Thomas
OLB - Skai Moore
MLB - Perryman
OLB - Grace

I put Skai Morre and McKenzie in there as an example of kids we would've recruited had we been running these schemes. Guys like Burgess, Holliman, Talan, Hoggins, etc.

Kaaya as a spread QB? He runs like a 6.4

Advertisement
The last two days of football have made it crystal clear how wide the gap is between where we are and where the good teams are. I haven't seen a team since our game that we could be competitive with as we are now.

We are what our record is!

Obviously Kaaya is no dual-threat, but I don't think he needs to be for us to move to a more spread offense. I thought he played best out of the shotgun formation. I also thought Duke was really effective out of the shotgun as well.

If we could get an innovative spread guy in here we'd be literally unstoppable. Every skill player in South Florida would be lining up to come here. Nobody in the nation can put four WR's on the field at the same time who all run 4.3-4.4 like we can.

There's so much WR talent down here that we could literally put three or four "#1 receivers" on the field every down. In other word, three or four guys who would be #1 receivers at most schools in the country.

We could still use a TE and we could still use all the same plays that are run out of a Pro-Set. You can run Iso, Power, Counter, Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Read Option, etc etc etc.

On defense I'd love to see us go back to attacking one-gap schemes and aggressive DB play.

I migjt be wrong, but wasn't Patrick Nix a spread coach before he got here? I think going spread might have been apart of Randy's plan.

I migjt be wrong, but wasn't Patrick Nix a spread coach before he got here? I think going spread might have been apart of Randy's plan.
Nix didn't call plays at GT. I don't think Randy had any intention of turning us into a spread team.

Advertisement
Are some of you confusing the spread with read-option? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can barely walk and both run an offense that includes spread elements.

Nix didn't call plays at GT. I don't think Randy had any intention of turning us into a spread team.

Correct. Chan Gailey called the plays at GT.

And Nix ABSOLUTELY wanted to go with a spread offense, and Randy was ABSOLUTELY opposed to it. It's the "philosophical" difference that cause Randy to fire Nix.

I learned today two things: 1)that speed is STILL the number one factor in college ball. 2) turnovers decide bowl games

Oregon defense was shredded in some ways, but their speed eliminated big plays and helped generate tons of turnovers. Obviously offensively they were freakish.

TCU has speed EVERYWHERE and absolutely demolished the number 1 defense in the SEC on offense, and their defensive speed stifled a mediocre QB.

OSU has a more team speed than Bama, particularly in their front.

The lesson is the same as the one Jimmy Johnson taught us 30 years ago. It's the same lesson Gary Patterson lives by: recruit the fastest best athletes who are used to touching the football, and find a home for them. Oregon does it, TCU does it. It works unbelievably well in Miami, and you don't have to fight over and pay the blue chip recruits.

Back when they fired Coker my #1 choice was Patterson. How different our program would be had they brought him to UM.

He would have one at least one title here, and would probably be an NFL coach by now.

**** depressing thought.

Are some of you confusing the spread with read-option? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady can barely walk and both run an offense that includes spread elements.

It is absolutely funny when anyone mentions spread how some will automatically shoot it down with their preconceived notions they have built in their heads. Spread doesnt mean one thing, some teams spread to run, some spread to pass, some are more option based, or even a balance or mix of any of above. We need to get with the times. We arent getting best talent anymore and have many disadvantages going against us. Our one asset is being located in area full of athletes that this offense would put on full display.

To run and get championship level pro style offense, you basically need to recruit an NFL team. You need to hit at qb, need a great QB coach, you need great TE, Great oline who can win one on one battles against everyone, QB has to be able to read field, etc. With spread you can even plug a fullback at QB and he can win heisman, we need to get with times

Advertisement

On offense...

QB - Kaaya
WR - Dorsett
WR - Coley
WR - Waters
WR - McKenzie
(TE) - Walford

On defense...

DE - McCord
DT - Pierre
DT - Chickillo?
DE - Thomas
OLB - Skai Moore
MLB - Perryman
OLB - Grace

I didn't say spread/option, I said spread.

Funny thing about the spread...

What has EVERYONE done (in the past) when they're down by a few scores and need to move down the field quickly? Shotgun. Four wide receivers.

Well if that's what you do every time you need points, wouldn't it make sense to do it all game? (i.e the spread as your primary offense)

Am I the only person that has noticed how quickly we move the ball down the field when we're in spread? It's been this way since Jacory was here. Any time we're down and we need some quick points we go spread and march down the field. MIAMI SIMPLY CANNOT BE COVERED WHEN THEY'RE PRIMARILY SPREAD.

It spreads the defense out and gives your QB easier reads. It forces guys on defense to be more athletic. You got Linebackers and Safeties covering guys like Dorsett or Waters in the slot. It forces the defense to put an extra DB on the field, basically a 2nd or 3rd string Corner, a match him up against our #1 skill players. It also removes defenders from the box, making it easier to run the ball.

Advertisement
Funny thing about the spread...

What has EVERYONE done (in the past) when they're down by a few scores and need to move down the field quickly? Shotgun. Four wide receivers.

Well if that's what you do every time you need points, wouldn't it make sense to do it all game? (i.e the spread as your primary offense)

Am I the only person that has noticed how quickly we move the ball down the field when we're in spread? It's been this way since Jacory was here. Any time we're down and we need some quick points we go spread and march down the field. MIAMI SIMPLY CANNOT BE COVERED WHEN THEY'RE PRIMARILY SPREAD.

It spreads the defense out and gives your QB easier reads. It forces guys on defense to be more athletic. You got Linebackers and Safeties covering guys like Dorsett or Waters in the slot. It forces the defense to put an extra DB on the field, basically a 2nd or 3rd string Corner, a match him up against our #1 skill players. It also removes defenders from the box, making it easier to run the ball.

Ducks... :)

The Bucs seem to only move they ball when they go spread also. I agree, if you have the athletes open it up.

No doubt we should be running a version of the spread.

For the love of God...think back to the late 80's and early 90's...Erickson's one back system was basically the genesis for the eventual evolution of the spread. This program fully committing to the "spread" wouldn't even be revolutionary or straying very far from our past.

And on defense.....of course we should be running a system with 4 defensive lineman.

It's ridiculously frustrating how this program is being run into the ground by incompetence.

The only team in the ACC that can match our speed is FSU.

However...

I'm willing to bet that almost all of the teams can match our strength or physicality.

Teams like Pitt, Virginia, etc etc etc...aren't afraid to punch you in the mouth. They might not have the skill we do but those type of kids are tough. What those teams lack is speed. SO WHY LINE-UP WITH TE's AND FB's AND TRY TO FIGHT THEM IN A PHONE BOOTH?!?! Makes no sense!

When you constantly line-up with TE's and FB's you're inviting more defenders into the box. Put Money Mayweather and big *** Bob Sapp into a boxing ring and 10/10 times Mayweather beats his *** and wears him out. Now put Bob Sapp's big, slow, strong *** into a phone booth with Mayweather. Now who wins? LOL

That's my analogy^

Advertisement
Back