What specifically is wrong with our D

I disagree with everyone who says this defense works with good or appropriate talent in key areas. This defense previously worked (past tense) ok with good or appropriate talent. I've had a few back and forth debates over the past year where I said I was officially out on this philosophy and everything to do with it (prior to last year's bowl game).

The game continues to evolve and the defense stopped evolving enough in 2018. For a dozen different reasons, it now makes players look worse. Part of that is its disconnected nature between its front and coverages. Another part is its predictability. And, another part is the preparation (both strategically and physically) that underpins it all.

I said all offseason I hoped Schoop and TRob would insert lots of changes into the general approach. So far, it's on the same trend line it has been on since 2018 (when adjustments were made, but we also had Gerald Willis).

Nick f'in Saban continuously evolves his approach to defense - especially coverages - and he has 50 5 stars on his team. I don't know of any defense that can remain stagnant.

Advertisement
Day caint tackel, day caint cover and day skeme look like a buntch a half wits tryin to cach a rabid postum median to ole man kelsey’s crick

I disagree with everyone who says this defense works with good or appropriate talent in key areas. This defense previously worked (past tense) ok with good or appropriate talent. I've had a few back and forth debates over the past year where I said I was officially out on this philosophy and everything to do with it (prior to last year's bowl game).

The game continues to evolve and the defense stopped evolving enough in 2018. For a dozen different reasons, it now makes players look worse. Part of that is its disconnected nature between its front and coverages. Another part is its predictability. And, another part is the preparation (both strategically and physically) that underpins it all.

I said all offseason I hoped Schoop and TRob would insert lots of changes into the general approach. So far, it's on the same trend line it has been on since 2018 (when adjustments were made, but we also had Gerald Willis).

Nick f'in Saban continuously evolves his approach to defense - especially coverages - and he has 50 5 stars on his team. I don't know of any defense that can remain stagnant.
thank you

Advertisement
Lack of talent on DL and LB.

Loss alot at End...obviously the worst end group we have seen in the last 5 years. Should of been obvious to all when Mccloud was named a starter.

LB talent is DRY....But most recruiting guys like me saw this coming an harped on it for years. Manny recruited the position atrociously...(when i use to bag on Rumph...i always bagged on lack of lb recruiting as well).

The main positions on his defense are ENDS (to create tfl, sacks,etc) and SAFETY.
Well we have a talent drought at end...and Gurvan Hall is worst than Robert Knowles (i dare someone to say he isnt). Bolden hasnt made any difference maker plays.

* We are small on D and dont tackle well because of this. When is the last time we started two ends that are 6'2 and under 250pds?...When the last time we started 2 lbs that are 5'10-5'11 220 and slow?.

* On a positive note.....a lot of the young guys have shown flashes and look like they belong...from Chantz Williams, Elijah Roberts to Kam Kinchens and James Williams. Leonard Taylor flashed last week as well

* Im still MAD that Manny didnt bring in a portal Lb. That shows how poor of an evaluator of LBS he is. He actually thought that group was good enough. Other than CCSU i personally would take every other teams LBS we have played.
So is it lack of recruiting or more talent evals? Or both? I have seen you point out many recruits that were 3 stars who balled out elsewhere.

this defense only works with Good to great Linebacker play, with great to good backers they are the QB of the defense and allow everybody else to play free on my opinion

Please, you need to say this again for the people in the back.

Better DBs, LBs or DLs are not going to make his scheme any better. Throwing talent at poor coaching and poor schemes will not help anything long-term.

People keep saying....We should not need 2001 talent to beat UVA., FIU, OSU, etc., etc. Teams all over the country with 2–3-star talent execute better, are more disciplined and are tougher than Manny's team. Manny could bring in a top 10 recruiting class and all we would do is win a couple more games a season with the same problems overall.

Poor coaching results in poor fundamentals. Poor fundamentals result in everything we are seeing (drops, penalties, out of position, discipline, etc.) Add the lack of development and the softest team in the country and it just comes down to one thing.

The coach needs to go.
As I said in another thread. Lack of talent at key positions.

Advertisement
Manny really needs good dt play for his defense to have a chance
And safeties who tackle they are essentially the lbs Bc in this backwards scheme the lbs have to constantly take on free lineman
The 17 defense with rj shaq and jaquan was his best version ever Bc they could pull this off

We haven’t had either since manny been hc here so we look like garbage running a flawed scheme to begin with

Last edited:
So is it lack of recruiting or more talent evals? Or both? I have seen you point out many recruits that were 3 stars who balled out elsewhere.
Manny is a terrible talent evaluator at his position...LB.
Its also a lack of development.
On the DLINE we have lost undeclassmen to the nfl going on 4 szns. This is the first year i dont see a draftable dlineman. They hit the portal as they should have...BUT got some mid. Had they gotten the kid FSU got we might be singing a different tune. At DT Jon Ford and Miller have 3 more tackles than me combined int here career....they arent play makers at all on defense.Nesta is undersized and can be moved around a bit...i'd say he has played solidly this year.

At db we have seen a regression from both safeties. Stevenson is the goods.

The last 2 recruiting classes have been above average to me ive liked em...We have to stack to that level....sadly in the trenches by the looks of it we arent in this class again....AND AGAIN the LB CLASS is lookin like some mid.

Manny really needs good dt play for his defense to have a chance
And safeties who tackle they are essentially the lbs Bc in this backwards scheme the lbs have to constantly take on free lineman
The 17 defense with rj shaq and jaquan was his best version ever Bc they could pull this off

We haven’t had either since manny been hc here so we look like garbage running a flawed scheme to begin with
The safeties always lead his team in tackles. Plays are funnelled to them in his scheme.

Maybe thats why he sucks at recruiting lbs...he doesnt even care about them smh

Advertisement
Amigo, I have never hunted gators with Okefenokee, but I know he doesn’t dive in to pull them out! He krazy, but not that krazy. Bye the whey, the rumors about Okefenokee hunting gators out of seasun or without tags have never been proven in a court of law.
Dam sun u caint blame me fir bustin a extra gator or 2 I hates UF so dam much! Keap dat s#*t low doe.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back