What specifically is wrong with our D

oracleturts

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Paging Lance, Macho, Roman and any other X&Os folks

What defense should we be running with this personnel currently on the roster?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
We lack playmakers, execution and/or play calling across the entire team.

When one of them is working the others are not.

Offense was atrocious for 2-3 quarters on Thursday. Then when the D had a chance to make a big play 2-3 INTs were left on the field and VA scored on those drives.

Manny’s defense is predicated on havoc. When you have a very disruptive defensive line, it can work well because it creates a lot of negative plays. That’s his whole scheme. Get you behind the chains a couple times in a drive and I can get a stop or a turnover. It’s not bend but don’t break, it’s more I’ll break you once and then hold. He believes that if you’re in 2nd and 13 or 3rd and 9 all day, he’ll win more often than not.

The problem this year is there are no difference makers on the DL, especially on the edges. All of us who talked season outlook all summer probably underestimated the impact the lack of edge pass rush would make. We all said “DE factory” and “if we can somewhat replace Phillips and Roche..”. Well, we haven’t. We’re 68th in sacks and 15th in TFLs. Those numbers are way down from 2016-2018. We were 3rd in the country in TFLs in 2017 and #1 in 2018. We led the country in sacks in 2017. #9 in 2018.

That’s the biggest difference for me. DL and safeties have to be great in this scheme. Nobody is even close to Quan on the back end, and we have no disruptive defensive linemen.

Advertisement
Bad schemes put players in the wrong spots... players out of position take bad angles and look slow and outmatched.

Missed tackles is more than just "not wrapping up"; it is also a factor of body momentum in the wrong direction, i.e.; being out of position and forced to adjust to bad attack angles.

Certain schemes have no recovery time... when you are right, its gold. Else you are chump...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Specifically wrong? Can't tackle. So many people always talking about schemes. This team struggles to block and struggles to tackle, thats what the game is about. who cares about scheme? Can they get better at those two things first?

Zero gap integrity by our DL. They just run up the field & our LBs have 320 lb guards hitting them at full speed every play. In the rare instance our LBs have open field, they are too unathletic to even make a play. This scheme works against teams that we have more talent than, but this season the cupboard is so bare on D we are getting eaten alive.

Our CBs struggle to cover anyone, but that also might have to do with our lack of pass rush. At safety, Bubba Bolden is serviceable but lacks physicality. Gurvan Hall might be the worst UM safety I've ever seen. To add insult to injury, it seems like none of them can tackle.

Last edited:
So many reasons but what's stood out to me for the past 2.5 years is that our secondary is beyond garbage. When your best defense against the pass is banking on opponents dropping passes then you know you've recruited the positions terribly and the scheme is ****.

Advertisement
Back